Axe I/O: Monitoring All Inputs Not Possible?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Axe I/O: Monitoring All Inputs Not Possible?

Postby loganme » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:01 am

Pretty new to my Axe I/O. Just got a Volca FM that I want to use alongside my guitar gear.

I'm pretty baffled that Axe I/O will not let me plug both instruments in (Guitar in stereo up front and Volca in the 2 line level inputs) and monitor them at the same time. If I plug the front two inputs in, the back two are disabled. Same thing going the other way.

Is it possible this is how it was designed or am I missing something?
loganme

Re: Axe I/O: Monitoring All Inputs Not Possible?

Postby dlgebert » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:24 pm

loganme wrote:Pretty new to my Axe I/O. Just got a Volca FM that I want to use alongside my guitar gear.

I'm pretty baffled that Axe I/O will not let me plug both instruments in (Guitar in stereo up front and Volca in the 2 line level inputs) and monitor them at the same time.

I have a KORG Monologue and one thing to keep in mind is the AXE/IO line inputs are balanced, so the output of your KORG Volca FM would also have to be balanced, which I don't believe it is. The Monologue is monophonic, so I plug it in through the instrument input and keep the gain all the way down.

Another thing to keep in mind is there a "hardware level" hierarchy while cables are connected to the input jacks, as follows:

If (Instrument) jacks have something plugged into them, then (XLR) and (Line Inputs) are DISABLED.

If (Instrument) jacks don't have something plugged into them and (XLR) jacks have something plugged into them, then (Line Inputs) are DISABLED.

If nothing is plugged into the (Instrument) jacks and nothing is plugged into the (XLR) jacks, then the balanced (Line Inputs) can be used.

The first set of inputs is separate from the second set of inputs, so you can have a guitar in #1 and an XLR mic in #2, which is my default setup. Or you could have a guitar in #1 and a balanced line device in #2.

Here is from the AXE I/O User Manual:

Code: Select all
INST, LINE, MIC LEDs - active input indication with auto select. If no connection is made, or if an XLR is connected to the back Combo input, the MIC input will be activated, and the corresponding LED will light up; if an 1/4” jack (line level) is connected at the back Combo input, the LINE input will be selected and the corresponding LED will light up; if an instrument is connected to the front input, the INSTRUMENT input will be selected and the corresponding LED will light up. The front Instrument input has always priority over back connected XLR or 1/4” jacks.

Line Inputs 1-2

Configuration: Class-A discrete differential line receiver, tip hot
Input impedance: 20 kOhms differential
Input level, min gain: 0 dBFS is obtained with a +26 dBu signal at the TRS input
Input level, max gain: 0 dBFS is obtained with a -24 dBu signal at the TRS input
Frequency response: From 5 Hz to 32 kHz within 0.5 dB (96 kHz sample rate)
Dynamic Range: 116 dB(A)
THD+N: -106 dB(A) at -10 dBFS

Dave
dlgebert

Postby loganme » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:32 am

dlgebert wrote:The first set of inputs is separate from the second set of inputs, so you can have a guitar in #1 and an XLR mic in #2, which is my default setup. Or you could have a guitar in #1 and a balanced line device in #2.
Dave

Dave,

Thank you for that explanation.

So, let's put the synth to the side for a moment. What if I were wanting to use my pedals for my guitar as an effect in my DAW. I could conceivably use the to amp output into the pedal board but the pedals output in stereo, so they would need to input into AXE I/O using two inputs, meaning that the dry guitar has no available inputs to connect to AXE I/O, right?

For a interface designed to by used by guitarists, this seems like a crazy oversight. I might have to get a separate 2-in/2-out for the pedals.
loganme

Postby dlgebert » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:04 am

loganme wrote:I could conceivably use the to amp output into the pedal board but the pedals output in stereo, so they would need to input into AXE I/O using two inputs, meaning that the dry guitar has no available inputs to connect to AXE I/O, right?

I would agree with you on your statement on a conceptual level, but using the output of a device to feed its input would probably result in a nasty feedback loop. Personally, I wished they would have gone with unbalanced line inputs, which would have been compatible with more "home studio" devices. I also wish they had the ability to have all of your devices plugged in and switchable in the AXE/IO Control Panel.

loganme wrote:For a interface designed to by used by guitarists, this seems like a crazy oversight.

Considering they probably designed the AXE/IO to be used with Amplitube where all of your "virtual" effects are, I can see why it was designed this way. With the ultra low latency I am getting with my AXE I/O, the virtual effects for me seem very organic and easy to "forget" I'm playing thru virtual effects. Below is from a thread I posted on after I first got my AXE I/O last year:

dlgebert wrote:Just as an update, I configured Studio One 4 on my iMac and was able to get my input (3.67ms), output (2.43ms) and round trip (6.46ms) latency down to the numbers in parentheses with my AXE I/O and I'm able to use T-RackS 5 and Amplitube without noticing the latency. It feels totally organic like the hardware and software are one unit. Absolutely no crackling, popping, snapping, stuttering, etc.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby loganme » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm

I can't even get Amplitube to output sound, which is another story altogether haha

But your point is well taken. Thank you, Dave!
loganme

Postby dlgebert » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:56 pm

loganme wrote:I can't even get Amplitube to output sound

loganme wrote:Absolutely no sound through Amplitube MAX.

After your cryptic post, I found your other post in the Amplitube sub-forum... Are you on a Mac or PC? Which DAW are you using? Do you have a set of headphones? It's easier to troubleshoot if you can plug a set of headphones into the front headphones jack on the AXE I/O. Below are some of my previous posts that have helped others. This is assuming you have a guitar plugged into Instrument #1 and headphones plugged into the headphones jack on the AXE I/O.

If you're on a Mac:
dlgebert wrote:Did you update to the latest AXE I/O control panel? There is no driver update since AXE I/O is class compliant and does not require an external driver on MacOS. Don't use "asio4all" or any other external driver.

If you're on a PC:
dlgebert wrote:First, make sure you are NOT using "asio4all" in Windows. The AXE I/O has its own Windows drivers:

Peter_IK wrote:Our driver is not MME/DirectX it is an official ASIO driver. You should make sure you install the AXE I/O drivers & control panel from your IK User Area and use those drivers.

Once you have the latest AXE I/O Control Panel installed and if Windows, the official IKM ASIO driver, then go into the AXE I/O menu and check if you are on the latest firmware, which is [v.1.04].

dlgebert wrote:The next thing to check is how the physical [ MONITOR] knob is set. The knob is on the right side the AXE I/O next to the [HEADPHONE] knob. Make sure it is turned all the way to the right, pointing to [DAW]. Whether you are using a DAW or the standalone Amplitube application, it needs to be turned all the way to the right to hear just the signal processed thru the Amplitube standalone application or the plugin inside your DAW.

dlgebert wrote:The last thing, in your DAW or Amplitube standalone application, make sure your [Playback Device] and your [Recording Device] are set to [AXE IO].

AXE I/O FAQ:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?category=13&topic=axe-io

Dave
Last edited by dlgebert on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlgebert

Postby loganme » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:38 pm

I'm using Ableton Live Lite 10 on Windows 10.

I've combed through the forums and tried the things suggested. I still have not had any luck getting Amplitube to output processed sound with my AXE I/O. The irony is, I had a Scarlett 2i2 before this and I could get the version of Amplitube that came with that software to work just fine.

I'll go through and try re-installing drivers today and see if I can get things going.
loganme

Postby dlgebert » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Sorry you're having this many issues. When playing your guitar plugged into Instrument #1, can you see lights moving on the physical AXE I/O device?

If you have a pair of headphones, can you plug them into the AXE I/O and turn the physical (Monitor) knob all the way to the left toward (Direct). Can you hear just your guitar? If it sounds quiet, turn up the (Gain) knob.

When you open the AXE I/O Control Panel, can you see the meter for #1 lighting up? Is the virtual volume slider for #1 all the way to the top and not greyed out? If all of these things worked, then the AXE I/O connection to your PC is working. If the AXE I/O Control Panel meters don't move, or the virtual volume slider is greyed out, then there is a driver issue or you have a bad USB cable. If you are using a USB hub, don't use that to connect your AXE I/O to your PC.

If everything is working so far, turn the physical (Monitor) knob all the way back to the right toward (DAW).

Can you try installing the Amplitube standalone application and make sure (AXE IO) is selected as the input and output device. Do the meters light up in this application. Can you hear the amp models back through headphones connected to the AXE I/O?

Dave
dlgebert

Return to Interfaces & Controllers