iPad Pro 2019 USB-C to iRig Pro Duo - volume

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iPad Pro 2019 USB-C to iRig Pro Duo - volume

Postby davidmiller66 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi

I am in a pickle here! I can't adjust the iPad Pro output volume. Or put it another way, the input volume to the iRig Pro. When I try changing the iPad volume out, the volume level stays the same.

I need to do this as I need to balance the levels between the sax mic and the iPad backing track when I plug in my earphones to the Direct Monitor on the iRig. Otherwise, the iPad volume is too loud and I can't hear the sax. If I turn up the sax volume, the sound becomes distorted and it also reaches a limit. I can never reach a good mix.

This has come about since I will be now doing gigs on my own that do not utilise a sound/mixing desk, a band and audio backing tracks. This is why I bought the iRig Pro Duo.

I connect my iPad Pro in the following way:

iPad Pro USB-C --> Apple USB-C to USB 3 cable (with iPad power connected) --> USB 3 to iRig Mini DIN port

I need to use the Apple cable as it allows the iPad to be powered. I cannot run on iPad batteries. If it runs out, I'm stuffed!

Also, I don't have an IK Media USB-C to Mini DIN port cable as it didn't come in the box.
Even if I did, I would have to use some kind of USB-C hub for the external iPad power supply.

I am assuming the volume does not work on the iPad because there is a conversion going on from USB-C to USB3? But this is an assumption.

Can anyone tell me if I get a USB-C to Mini DIN cable and a USB-C hub (again any recommendations that work), will I be able to control the iPad volume. Or if it will work at all. Its a considerable expense to test it otherwise!

If I can't solve this I have a redundant iRig and iPad Pro. Also I'll feel a bit of an iTwit!

Any suggestions or info greatly received.
davidmiller66

Re: iPad Pro 2019 USB-C to iRig Pro Duo - volume

Postby davidmiller66 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Just one thing I didn't mention. I tried using an iPhone 10 with a lightening cable direct to the the Mini DIN. The output volume could not be controlled with that setup either. :(
davidmiller66

Postby davidmiller66 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:47 pm

WANTED: iPad Pro USB-C to iRig Pro Duo Mini DIN volume control. Routing via a USB-C hub for iPad power.
davidmiller66

Postby Kylemq » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Hey, sounds like we’re doing similar stuff. I’m not sure if I can help you, or you can help me, but we.can probably throw some ideas around. If you don’t accept my friend request, I’ll add you as a foe. Haha, why do they have that???!!
Kylemq

Return to Interfaces & Controllers