Possible to set up external effects loop with AXE I/O?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Possible to set up external effects loop with AXE I/O?

Postby ManGuy0705 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:36 pm

I'm thinking of getting the AXE I/O, but was wondering if I could somehow set up an effects loop. What I mean by that is that I would like to run my dry guitar signal into the AXE I/O and through modelling software such as AmpliTube, then get this signal back out through the interface to a pedal for example, and then back into the interface and into the DAW. Latency aside, I sense that there would be some issues here regarding line vs instrument level signals. Would this be in any way possible?
ManGuy0705

Re: Possible to set up external effects loop with AXE I/O?

Postby kierank » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:14 pm

I have this same question - shame you didn't get an answer.
I was wondering if you could use line out > pedal > line in, or whether it would need to be amp out > pedal > input 2.

I had also been wondering about another scenario where: guitar > input 1, to record DI and then: amp out (set to route input 1 out) > pedal board > input 2. That way I could record guitar DI and also the signal after the external pedal fx.
kierank

Postby dlgebert » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:41 am

kierank wrote:I have this same question - shame you didn't get an answer.

I suspect no one replied because the question he asked would require someone with an AXE I/O to spend considerable time to setup his scenario, testing and posting back to this thread to test a very unusual workflow. It's very unlikely it would work because taking the output of a device and feeding the input of the same device would result in a horrible feedback loop.

kierank wrote:I was wondering if you could use line out > pedal > line in, or whether it would need to be amp out > pedal > input 2.

I had also been wondering about another scenario where: guitar > input 1, to record DI and then: amp out (set to route input 1 out) > pedal board > input 2. That way I could record guitar DI and also the signal after the external pedal fx.

Your second scenario might work because you're not trying to go thru USB to your DAW from the AXE I/O and back to the AXE I/O from your DAW and then back thru USB again to your DAW like the original poster mentioned.

If you strictly kept Input1 separate from Input2, before going to your DAW, it's something to carefully try. Keep your volume low in case you get some ear splitting feedback...

I have a backlog of my own songs I'm working on, so time excludes me from trying experiments. If you have an AXE I/O, experiment and give it a shot.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:00 pm

You can set up external effects/stomps using Amp Out back into input 1 but this is not for realtime use, this is part of the reamping feature set of AXE I/O.

You can see the routing for this in section 2.1 of the AXE I/O User Manual. You can find the manual on our web site under Manuals on the AXE I/O web page if you don't have it already.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers