iRig Recording Delay

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Recording Delay

Postby ploggy99@hotmail.co.uk » Sat May 02, 2020 10:59 pm

I want to hear the actual guitar sound that is being recorded whilst I play. However, when I record my guitar there is a noticeable delay between what I play and what I hear through the headphones.
I’m using Audacity 2.1.0 on a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10. My guitar is plugged into an iRig HD2 and I’m using the headphones connected to the iRig. I've got THRU/FX set to THRU. The guys on the Audacity Forum suggested I needed to hear the THRU and the FX at the same time so I can hear myself playing during overdubbing. My iRig only allows THRU or FX not both at the same time. Is the iRig capable of giving me this functionality?
Many thanks
Chris
ploggy99@hotmail.co.uk

Re: iRig Recording Delay

Postby ploggy99@hotmail.co.uk » Wed May 06, 2020 10:50 am

Hi Klimbo101, Many thanks for your response. You refer to an image but I couldn't see an attachment? You mention a mixer, but I'm only using the iRig and my Dell Inspiron laptop - I'm not using a mixer. The iRig has one headphone output but I assume its not delay-free as I am getting a delay. I'm not sure what my options are for experimenting...
Regards
Chris
ploggy99@hotmail.co.uk

Re: iRig Recording Delay

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:09 pm

That response was a spam response (added spam links via edit).

Anyway, it sound like you are experiencing latency which is typically to do with buffer settings for your interface / in your recording software. Also, I don't know which iRig interface you are using but if it is one of our digital interfaces like iRig HD 2, iRig Pro Duo I/O, etc then you would want to download its ASIO driver from your IK User Area. You should use the ASIO driver for any audio interface you are using as it will provide the best lowest latency results.

With regard to your FX/THRU question (you may be using iRig 2 or iRig HD 2 if this is the case, the former is an analog interface so ASIO drivers would not be possible with that but will be best for iRig HD 2), you shouldn't use both at the same time. If that were the case, you'd have a direct signal + a processed signal and the latter would be slightly delayed (usually a matter of milliseconds when properly set up, but still would be unsatisfactory to hear both signals). You should be able to get the processed signal with ultra-low latency if using an interface with a proper ASIO driver like iRig HD 2. If you are using iRig 2 you are plugging into a combination mic/headphone jack thus using the onboard audio of your computer which is not optimal for realtime audio processing in most cases. I would recommend iRig 2 for low latency use with iOS devices.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers