AXE IO (Standard vs Solo) - want to buy: which one?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE IO (Standard vs Solo) - want to buy: which one?

Postby lcipher » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:58 pm

Is there a comparison chart between AXE I/O and the SOLO?

I know there is one less on HiZ channel and less one MIC (total of one mic one hiZ)
And no Tuning or Preset knob

I also see the SOLO is USB powered? So is that a good thing or does it mean the headpones are not "high current" like the standard?

Is there any improvements in performance between the STD or the SOLO? Is the SOLO being newer have any updates in latency etc?

The "deals" right now are so awesome with the standard - so I may go with that - but just wondering what the other differences / improvements are?
lcipher

Re: AXE IO (Standard vs Solo) - want to buy: which one?

Postby Alberhto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:28 pm

I've been researching the same options and I eventually went for the Axe I/O. I couldn't find enough reviews on the Solo that were constructive at this point. By that I mean drains up opinion, less unboxing and feature discussion.
I decided the dedicated power source, actual power switch and the extra Lines were worth the money.
So far I've had some fun with 2 guitars into the interface and really had no issues. Really worthwhile and enjoyable addition to my rig.
Alberhto

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:13 pm

There are no reviews yet for AXE I/O SOLO because it is in pre-order.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby lcipher » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:58 pm

thanks Alberto - I'm thinking the "standard" is the better and only a tad larger.

Still trying to figure out if it makes sense for me to go for it...
I currently have an RME 9632 (pci) and a ART MPA interface that gets really low latency - but would like some of the options for the impedance and convenience of an "all in one" solution.

Can you (I know its dependent on computer etc) tell me what latency you're getting at 44.1kHz? Can you go below 10mS reliability?

How are the headphone amps in the AXE? Most usb interfaces have pretty bad headphones - one reason I suspect the AXE (std) is better is the 9V 1.75A supply vs 5V computer supply.
lcipher

Postby Alberhto » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:23 am

I'll check this next time I'm playing my guitar.

I'm still getting to grips with the AXE so haven't done more than understand the in/ ouputs, get it working with monitors connected to my PC and learned to setup Amplitube.

Will feedback when I have more to share.
Alberhto

Postby Alberhto » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:22 pm

So... the buffer setting only changes as the sample rate increases. It is not manually set via a drop down. There is a config.ini file in the app folder but there is no obvious how-to for that anywhere I can find on the IK website.

https://download.ikmultimedia.com/plugi ... Manual.pdf

In the manual there is a dscription of the "Monitor" control on the AXE:

MONITOR - the Monitor knob allows you to blend your input signals with the playback streams from your computer. This allows you to monitor your input signal with zero latency. If the knob is positioned at 12 o’clock, the input signal and the playback stream will be equally balanced. Turning the knob to the left will increase the level of the direct signal; turning to the right will increase the level of the playback stream from the DAW. This control works both for Outputs 1-2 and Headphones.

I'm not sure if this is useful?
Alberhto

Postby dlgebert » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 pm

lcipher wrote:Can you (I know its dependent on computer etc) tell me what latency you're getting at 44.1kHz? Can you go below 10mS reliability?

I've had the original "standard" AXE I/O since last year. Below is one of my posts back in August related to your question of latency.

dlgebert wrote:Just as an update, I configured Studio One 4 on my iMac and was able to get my input (3.67ms), output (2.43ms) and round trip (6.46ms) latency down to the numbers in parentheses with my AXE I/O and I'm able to use T-RackS 5 and Amplitube without noticing the latency. It feels totally organic like the hardware and software are one unit. Absolutely no crackling, popping, snapping, stuttering, etc.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby lcipher » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:29 pm

dlgebert wrote:
lcipher wrote:Can you (I know its dependent on computer etc) tell me what latency you're getting at 44.1kHz? Can you go below 10mS reliability?

I've had the original "standard" AXE I/O since last year. Below is one of my posts back in August related to your question of latency.

dlgebert wrote:Just as an update, I configured Studio One 4 on my iMac and was able to get my input (3.67ms), output (2.43ms) and round trip (6.46ms) latency down to the numbers in parentheses with my AXE I/O and I'm able to use T-RackS 5 and Amplitube without noticing the latency. It feels totally organic like the hardware and software are one unit. Absolutely no crackling, popping, snapping, stuttering, etc.

Dave

Thats awesome - that's at 44.1k? What buffer settings>?

My pci RME 9632 (at 44.1kHz) is about 8.5 total at 128 buffers and 5.6 total at 64.
lcipher

Postby dlgebert » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:47 pm

lcipher wrote:that's at 44.1k? What buffer settings>?

That's recording at 44.1k and my buffer is set to 16. This is using Studio One 4, so it also depends of the DAW you use and how fast it processes the buffers, etc.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby lcipher » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:16 pm

dlgebert wrote:
lcipher wrote:that's at 44.1k? What buffer settings>?

That's recording at 44.1k and my buffer is set to 16. This is using Studio One 4, so it also depends of the DAW you use and how fast it processes the buffers, etc.

Dave

Great - can you tell me what it is with at light load (128 buffers) and 64?
lcipher

Postby dlgebert » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:43 am

lcipher wrote:Great - can you tell me what it is with at light load (128 buffers) and 64?

Sure, I'll have my iMac up later this evening and I'll post what the numbers are for 64 and 128.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby lcipher » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 am

dlgebert wrote:
lcipher wrote:Great - can you tell me what it is with at light load (128 buffers) and 64?

Sure, I'll have my iMac up later this evening and I'll post what the numbers are for 64 and 128.

Dave

Appreciate it - if you get a chance - can you listen to the headphone out and let me know if it sounds good? Lot of usb interfaces the HP out sucks.
lcipher

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:47 am

lcipher wrote:
dlgebert wrote:

Dave

Appreciate it - if you get a chance - can you listen to the headphone out and let me know if it sounds good? Lot of usb interfaces the HP out sucks.

To me it sounds great, but I don't often use headphones in that out - on my gaming machine I send it to iLoud Micro Monitors and I know that sounds really amazing.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dlgebert » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:36 am

dlgebert wrote:Sure, I'll have my iMac up later this evening and I'll post what the numbers are for [64] and [128].

macOS Catalina 10.15.4 - Studio One 4.6.1.55987

Images not available on server.

Latency Summary

Buffer (16 Samples)
    Input (3.67ms)
    Output (2.43ms)
    Round Trip (6.46ms)

lcipher wrote:can you listen to the headphone out and let me know if it sounds good?

I only record using headphones, which I've been doing since the early '80s. It really depends on the headphones you are using. I have been exclusively using Sony MDR7506 headphones for many years now.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html

With that said, the headphone output on the AXE/IO is probably the best sounding of all the devices I've used over the years. It's very transparent and doesn't color the sound, it has nice clarity. I never turn the headphone volume past 9 o'clock, even at that level it's plenty loud.

Dave
Last edited by dlgebert on Thu May 28, 2020 4:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
dlgebert

Postby lcipher » Fri May 01, 2020 2:04 am

thanks everyone - just bought one (AXE IO) thru the IK store - appreciate all the help.
lcipher

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers