AXE I/O bug or interface problem in control panel

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O bug or interface problem in control panel

Postby tormodg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:43 pm

There seems to be a rather nasty bug in the Axe IO Control Panel.

This has happened to me a couple of times:

After restarting the computer, the faders for Out 1-2 in the Axe IO control Panel will show "0" and be at the top.

But this does not reflect the true system volume. So if I touch the faders, the volume will EXPLODE if 0db is much louder than the current actual volume levels. After I adjust the faders, the volume levels are correct and are displayed correctly.

I almost blew my speakers thanks to this.

Why don't the faders indicate the current volume level before you touch them?

(It can also happen if I have not been connected to the Axe for a while. My main computer is a Macbook Pro which I also use at work so it is not always connected at home.)

I should add that I truly *love* the Axe IO, it's probably the most guitar-friendly computer gadget I have ever owned. Had it for six months now and it's so useful.
tormodg

Re: AXE I/O bug or interface problem in control panel

Postby dlgebert » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:37 pm

tormodg wrote:After restarting the computer, the faders for Out 1-2 in the Axe IO control Panel will show "0" and be at the top.

I have an iMac and the full sized AXE I/O and when it's turned off or disconnected from the computer, the sliders in the control panel return to a greyed out "default" position of zero (maxed) like you described. When I turn it on, my control panel sliders return back to where they were before it was last turned off.

Are your sliders not returning back to where you had them before your AXE I/O was disconnected? If so, do you have the current version of the control panel installed and your AXE I/O is on the latest version of the firmware?

I'm old school, I like to have volume knobs and sliders on my physical equipment set to all the way down when not powered on. I didn't say down to zero purposely since zero is the "max" before clipping in the digital recording world, which is maybe why this is the default in the AXE I/O control panel when disconnected or turned off.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby tormodg » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks Dave,

dlgebert wrote:Are your sliders not returning back to where you had them before your AXE I/O was disconnected? If so, do you have the current version of the control panel installed and your AXE I/O is on the latest version of the firmware?

I always set the Master knob to zero before turning off anything.

But today I was working on a lot of guitar stuff using my pedalboard which was connected to the PC through Axe I/O. I thought the Mac sound was a bit low because the Axe IO monitor was at max, system volume at max, and the faders in the Axe control panel at 0db.

Then I touched the output 1-2 fader because I remembered that this had happened before - and suddenly the "correct" audio level erupted. I could actually feel the wind from my speakers in my hair.

I have the latest version of the Axe control panel, and the firmware updater says I'm up to date.
tormodg

Postby dlgebert » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:52 pm

tormodg wrote:Then I touched the output 1-2 fader because I remembered that this had happened before - and suddenly the "correct" audio level erupted. I could actually feel the wind from my speakers in my hair.

That kind of air compression is not good, like putting your head in a bass drum is even worse... :D Now that I'm in my 50's and have permanent ringing in my ears, I wish I'd have been more careful around squealing microphone feedback and loud amps, etc...

It sounds like you have your PC output connected to a PA, powered monitor, or some type of amplification to move speakers like that? I only use USB into my iMac and use headphones out of my AXE I/O.

I can only fall back on my history with physical equipment and I try to suggest that all of your physical equipment volume sliders, knobs should be kept all the way down when not in use. Then once everything is powered up, bring up volumes starting from guitar, etc.,(start of chain) though to the physical amplification output speaker, including headphones (end of chain).

That way you won't have that surge out of the blue because you should see your visual meters, like on the AXE I/O control panel spiking, long before your physical amplification has been turned up.

For anyone reading this post, for safety, always keep physical powered amplification volume turned all the way down until you know what signal you'll be pushing through it. I know this can be challenging because we have access to software that can change virtual instruments, amps, cabs, etc. with just a click of your mouse and if your browsing different settings and patches that surge in volume can happen quickly...

Dave
dlgebert

Postby tormodg » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:21 pm

Good advice but I think you misunderstand my post.

As I mentioned everything was in use (I was recording guitar for a track I am producing) and it was when I needed to check why the max volume was so low that this happened. The fader for Output 1/2 was at 0db while the true level was much lower. But when I touched the fader, the level was raised to 0db which was extremely loud.
tormodg

Postby dlgebert » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:46 pm

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize that you were already recording when this happened. That's strange, I haven't seen this issue. My AXE I/O control panel faders are always back at the level they were before I disconnected from the last time I used it. If 1/2 was at -6.0db, it is back to that next time I turn it on.

Can you try one more test to see if this makes a difference?

While your AXE I/O is powered on, set your 1/2 level to -6.0db. Exit the AXE I/O control panel. Turn your AXE I/O off using the power switch in the back. Wait a minute or two, or reboot your PC/Mac.

Once your PC/Mac is back up again, don't open the AXE I/O control panel yet. Power on your AXE I/O using the power switch in the back. Wait a few seconds and now open the AXE I/O control panel.

Is the slider back to -6.0db? If so, if you change it slightly, does the volume spike?

Dave
dlgebert

Postby tormodg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:03 am

Thanks Dave. That little experiment worked as it should, so at least we have "normal" behaviour there.

I'll do some more experiments and see how it goes.
tormodg

Postby dlgebert » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:58 pm

tormodg wrote:That little experiment worked as it should

Thanks for trying that out, that's the same result I got before I asked you to try it, but I didn't want to skew your findings...

The reason I believe that works is if the AXE I/O software control panel is not able to communicate with the AXE I/O hardware, they programmed the defaults to have the sliders set to zero (MAX) and greyed out.

If you have the AXE I/O control panel open before the unit is powered on, and the unit is then powered on, internally the unit returns back to the level you had before you turned it off, BUT, the control panel software does not update the slider position to match the internal level.

This results in someone believing that the sound output is much too low, considering the slider in the control panel is maxed. As soon as you move the control panel slider, it sends the MAX value to the AXE I/O hardware, resulting in that surge in volume.

From my experience, a possible fix would be to read the true value from the AXE I/O hardware after the communication link has been established and update the control panel slider to match. If this functionality is not available to the control panel software, then they could set all sliders to the minimum while greying them out.

My two cents as a software developer and interface/integration analyst for the last 30 years or so...

The workflow to prevent this is to have the control panel closed until the unit is turned on. It's a great piece of hardware and I love working with it.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby tormodg » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:42 pm

I agree, the drivers need to talk to the unit to get the correct settings.

I wonder if part of the problem is that the Master knob on the unit sems unrelated to the control panel?

Today I had the exact same issue when I went into the control panel to reduce the volume. The fader was at -6 since our little experiment but as soon as I touched it, the audio level dropped noticeably and I realized both my guitar inputs were turned all the way to the left. I wonder how I actually heard any sound from my guitar at all before turning the knobs up. So *something* is not right.

Anway here is the track I was recording on Sunday:
https://soundcloud.com/turbotobben/up-and-away
tormodg

Postby dlgebert » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:07 pm

The physical knobs are independent of the virtual sliders in the control panel. For example, the input gain knobs can't be controlled in the control panel at all and the control panel slider levels can't be changed from the physical unit. This appears by design and not necessarily a fault.

Dave
dlgebert

Postby BlackSun3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:37 am

It seems you have a problem with your guitar, first. If you could hear some sound from the guitar with its volume down, here's a glitch ...
BlackSun3

Postby tormodg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:14 am

Guy Chaumier wrote:It seems you have a problem with your guitar, first. If you could hear some sound from the guitar with its volume down, here's a glitch ...

I guess not everybody bother to read the actual words and letters on the page. :mrgreen:
tormodg

Postby BlackSun3 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:22 pm

tormodg wrote:I agree, the drivers need to talk to the unit to get the correct settings.

..., the audio level dropped noticeably and I realized both my guitar inputs were turned all the way to the left. I wonder how I actually heard any sound from my guitar at all before turning the knobs up. So *something* is not right.

Right, sorry, I did read this in the night, with muddy eyes, and did figure out your guitar volume was turned down, but I realise now you were talking about the gain knobs of the interface :mrgreen: ... Wich ofc can let sound coming from the guitar even turned full left
By the way, could you tell me what's the firmware version you're running with?
(click on the "i" , right upper corner of the control panel windows)
ty.
BlackSun3

Postby dlgebert » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:10 pm

BlackSun3 wrote:By the way, could you tell me what's the firmware version you're running with?

I asked that in an earlier post and he replied:

tormodg wrote:I have the latest version of the Axe control panel, and the firmware updater says I'm up to date.

Also, to help with anyone who reads this thread in the future, below is from my reply to your question in another thread:

BlackSun3 wrote:what is the last firmware version?

BlackSun3, the current version as of this post is [v.1.04].

BlackSun3 wrote:And how do you update it?

I have an iMac, so these screen prints are from MacOS, but there should be something similar on Windows.

Image not available on server.
    Please refer to the AXE I/O User Manual.

Dave
Last edited by dlgebert on Thu May 28, 2020 4:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
dlgebert

Postby BlackSun3 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:23 am

dlgebert wrote:[
Also, to help with anyone who reads this thread in the future, below is from my reply to your question in another thread:

BlackSun3 wrote:what is the last firmware version?

BlackSun3, the current version as of this post is [v.1.04].

BlackSun3 wrote:And how do you update it?

I have an iMac, so these screen prints are from MacOS, but there should be something similar on Windows.
Dave

Thanks one more time.
For same help purpose for eventual other readers, here's my answer on the other post:

Thanks for the answer - this was helpful.
On Mac OS, I suppose it's all about the Finder.
On Windows, right-clicking on the Axe icon in the taskbar gives the same result:

Thanks for the firmware version too, same here.
Have a good day!
BlackSun3

Return to Interfaces & Controllers