Mixing sound from drum/irig2 and voice/conference app

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Mixing sound from drum/irig2 and voice/conference app

Postby Acharseth » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:31 pm

In these Corona times my son is getting online drum lessons over FaceTime/Zoom on iPad. He has a Yamaha DTX 502 digital drum set. In the hope to be able to transfer the sound from the drum set to Facetime so that the teacher can hear the sound without using a loudspeaker I just bought a iRig2. Plugging the headset to the headset output of the iRig2 he can hear the teacher over Facetime but not the sound from the drum set. Plugging the headset to the loudspeaker output of the iRig2 he can hear the drum set but not the teacher. In either case he is missing sound from mic (headset has mic but the headset output seem to be output only). This can be accommodated though with a mic on the AUX input of the drum set I suppose.
But how can we mix the sound from the drum set and Facetime to hear both?
An analogue solution is to plug a loud speaker to the drum set. Tried with a Sonos 5 but this did not work for some reason (any tip why?). Could also buy a loud speaker but would like the electronic solution to work.
Advice?
Should I swap the iRig2 with a iRig Mix, mixing sound from Facetime/iPad with mic?
Last edited by Acharseth on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acharseth

Re: Mixing sound from drum/irig2 and Facetime

Postby Acharseth » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Worked once:
Installed AmpliTube on iPad and set Background Audio ON.
Plugged headset to headset output on iRig2.
This way you can hear both FaceTime (or other conferencing app) and drum set sound.
Plugged a microphone to AUX IN on drum set through a microphone amplifier (which came with the mic from Sony).

EDIT: Worked yesterday but not today. As soon as I start FaceTime (or any other app) I loose the sound from the drum set.
Acharseth

Return to Interfaces & Controllers