iRig Keys 2 Pro (help me bypass 35mm audio output!)

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Keys 2 Pro (help me bypass 35mm audio output!)

Postby patgboran » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm

I have an iRig Keys 2 Pro connected to Garageband etc on my iPad (and iPhone). In both instances the midi signal plays the associated instrument but the sound comes through the 35mm output of the iRig Keys.

Is there any way to have the audio of these apps NOT relay back via the iRig Keys 35mm output but instead play through the speaker of the device itself (the way it does if I play the onscreen keyboard with my finger). I imagine there must be a way to control this (on the iRig Keys?) but can't find it.

I hope I've described the problem clearly. Any help greatly appreciated.
patgboran

Re: iRig Keys 2 Pro (help me bypass 35mm audio output!)

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi this is a feature of iOS, that we cannot bypass as it is on the iOS software / Apple side. Please see this FAQ for more information: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1284
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dpeace » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm

Hmm. Having the same question regarding my new Keys 2 Pro.

Since my Keys Pro sounds through the iPad, I would have thought there could be a firmware switch that turns off reporting the Keys 2 to iOS as an audio interface, so iOS would treat it as a controller only, and this would be extremely useful. A possibility for a future firmware update?
dpeace

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:11 pm

dpeace wrote:Hmm. Having the same question regarding my new Keys 2 Pro.

Since my Keys Pro sounds through the iPad, I would have thought there could be a firmware switch that turns off reporting the Keys 2 to iOS as an audio interface, so iOS would treat it as a controller only, and this would be extremely useful. A possibility for a future firmware update?

This would not be possible via firmware as it is on the iOS side, not the hardware (not just IK's). Please see this FAQ for more information https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/?id=1284
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dpeace » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I've read that FAQ, but still think that iOS responds to the hardware it detects. If it detects a controller, it doesn't shut off the speakers. If it detects an audio interface, it does. I don't see how a firmware update couldn't allow the toggling of what iOS detects when the hardware is connected, so iOS sees a controller rather than an audio interface when I connect the Keys 2 Pro.

I've also raised this with Apple, as it seems extreme to not have a toggle for this behaviour.
dpeace

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:33 pm

dpeace wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I've read that FAQ, but still think that iOS responds to the hardware it detects. If it detects a controller, it doesn't shut off the speakers. If it detects an audio interface, it does. I don't see how a firmware update couldn't allow the toggling of what iOS detects when the hardware is connected, so iOS sees a controller rather than an audio interface when I connect the Keys 2 Pro.

I've also raised this with Apple, as it seems extreme to not have a toggle for this behaviour.

It detects and interface and routes all audio output through that interface. It is not controlled by the hardware. I hope they change this behavior too. Better audio routing would improve an already very strong mobile audio platform, in my opinion. I can't choose sides, but facts are that iOS is objectively light years ahead in realtime audio processing so I'd think they would "get" such a request and why people want it. So that's promising :)
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby pietropavan77 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:25 pm

I am using a iRig Keys I/O connected to iPAD pro 2nd generation.

I bought the keyboard a few years a go and it never worked properly.

I believe the issue is with the switching of audio from iPad onboard speaker jack and the iRig Keys audio interface.

Basically right now, after disconnecting the iRig Keys I/O and resetting the iPad a couple of times, the issue is that i cannot hear the audio from my iPad, it would simply not play through the headset but only if i disconnect the headset jack.

The audio is still played in the headset but at a super low volume...

I cannot get around this issue, and now the iPad is unusable with cable headset...

This issue as been ongoing since i bought the iRig KEYS I/O and even after updating its firmware i never manage to solve it. Wish i would have known this issues before buying this useless product.

Please help if anyone has a solution on how to restore the audio from my iPad.

Regards.
pietropavan77

Postby benwiley4000 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:58 pm

I'm interested to know if there's a workaround for this. With macOS I'm able to select which audio interface I want to use from inside my program (e.g. GarageBand) and also on the OS level. For iOS I don't really have a choice. Annoying if I'm on the go and don't have any headphones sitting around.

EDIT: I saw in another thread the workaround is to use the MIDI output instead of the USB output and use a separate midi-to-usb interface (like the M-Audio UNO) to connect to the iPad. Works for me. Obviously this *won't* work if you actually do want the audio interface feature.
benwiley4000

Postby Peter_IK » Tue May 25, 2021 9:24 pm

iOS is why one cannot hear output from the iOS device speaker when any audio interface is plugged in. That's not unique to IK, nor the fault of IK or any audio interface maker.

The issue above after removing the connection from iRig Keys needs to be reported to IK Support so they can provide direct and official technical support to resolve the problem. Please open a ticket if you have not already done so.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers