iRig 2 output noise when plugged into iOS device

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig 2 output noise when plugged into iOS device

Postby m.tuzzi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 pm

Hi guys.
Sorry to bother you, but I'm really no expert when it comes to audio devices, even though I was tinkering with a spare guitar, an amp and Amplitube.

I used the original iRig several years ago with an acoustic guitar and no amp, but I sincerely can't remember if I had any issues and anyway my setup is quite different now.

Long story short: I just bought an iRig 2 (no HD, the one with the analog 1/8" plug for iPhone/iPad/computer).
I noticed that, as soon as I plug it into my iOS device and the amp in Amplitube is turned on, I have a bunch white noise on the output, to the point that I have to turn the output volume down to -18 /-20 dB not to hear it (but then if i plug in a guitar, the sound from the instrument is highly toned down aswell).
Be aware that the output noise is present with nothing plugged into the 1/4" ports on iRig2; I literally just connect it to the iPad or iPhone and the noise starts. It doesn't change if I move the gain dial on the iRig2 or switch it to FX or Passthrough.

I wanted to ask you if it is absolutely normal to have such white noise when the iRig2 is plugged in or my iRig2 may be faulty.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.
m.tuzzi

Return to Interfaces & Controllers