Connecting preamp to axe i/0

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Connecting preamp to axe i/0

Postby miccheck » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Hİ guys,

I want to connect art tube pac mic preamp to get better results on broadcast but i do not know which cable to use.

1-) as you know there is a section in the back of axe i/o named external control switch/pedal. Can i use this part as a input line ? I looked the manuel it looks like classified as a input but i am not sure if i can use it. So can i connect my preamp with ts cable (ts cable because in the back of art tube pac, it says unbalanced output)

2-)Or should i buy xlr(female)------> trs 1/4'' ? ın youtube videos, they say that this is not the best way to do it because in this scenerio, it is going to use axe i/o's preamp which is not ideal for broadcasting.

can you give me advice for best way to do it ?
miccheck

Re: Connecting preamp to axe i/0

Postby dlgebert » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:51 pm

miccheck wrote:2-)Or should i buy xlr(female)------> trs 1/4'' ? ın youtube videos, they say that this is not the best way to do it because in this scenerio, it is going to use axe i/o's preamp which is not ideal for broadcasting.

Looking at the manual for the "Art Tube PAC – Tube Mic Preamp/Compressor", the back panel shows one balanced male XLR output. Option #2 is really your best option because AXE I/O only has a balanced input option, which is the pair of balanced TRS female inputs that are surrounded by the XLR mic inputs. You would use one of these since your unit only has one balanced output.

When you plug in a male TRS jack into one of the AXE I/O TRS female inputs, the AXE I/O will automatically switch over to line input mode for that channel.

The two rear AXE I/O "EXTERNAL CONTROL" jacks allow you to use an expression pedal or off/on switch (momentary, latched) and cannot be used for audio input.

I would say that you could use a cable like this to connect your Art unit and the AXE I/O to obtain a single balanced mono line connection:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-HXS-005-XLR3F-Balanced-Interconnect/dp/B004NCSIO6/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=hosa+xlr+female+to+balanced+1%2F4%22+male+adapter&qid=1577919940&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Dave
dlgebert

Return to Interfaces & Controllers