Using a midi controller keyboard w/ iRig Stomp and guitar

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Using a midi controller keyboard w/ iRig Stomp and guitar

Postby Wayne77 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:02 pm

Hello,

Hopefully this isn't a confusing request. This is my first post here, but I own several IK products and am now considering the iRig Stomp I/O. Primarily for reasons it exists. I need a floor controller to interact with my iPad software (Amplitube and BiasFX) while playing. Another big win for me is a floor controller to trigger looping. I currently use Loopy but I can see that this product is nicely integrated with Amplitube's looper.

So here's the next piece I'm really hoping will work: I also have an Arturia Keystep midi controller. If I didn't also play guitar I'd just integrate it directly with my iPad. Also note that for the time being I am not a full blown computer-based user. For now, everything I do is run by my iPad Pro. Anyway, I'd like to use the iRig stomp also as a link to my midi keyboard. For example, lets say I have both Amplitube and a Synth/keyboard software equivalent app running on my iPad. I'd like to be able to play guitar, maybe record a loop, and then switch to keyboard and lay down a synth loop on top. The Keystep has both a Midi in and Midi out.

I'm a midi novice, but it almost seems like there could be a 2 way connection here, using the Arturia midi in and midi out? A couple random use cases that are attractive: the iRig triggers a patch on the midi controller (the KeyStep has a sequencer), Midi controller triggers a function of the iRig stomp (map a button on the keyboard to trigger a loop, trigger a different effect, trigger something in the Synth app itself, etc)

One other thing... I'm going to by an actual HW based synth drum / beats machine. Looking at the Korg Volca beats as one possibility. It has a midi in. Also looking at the Alesis SR-16, which has a both a Mid in and a Midi Out. Maybe I'm asking way to much without a computer to control all these things with this setup. I just can't invest in a computer for several months. Anyway, I have one processor running guitar and keyboard software, and one piece of hardware generating its own signal. Not sure what the best way to connect all this is...

Anyway, is this all wishful thinking? The main problem I do want to address is that I have one iPad and I'm worried that using it with the iRig will constrain its use just to footswitch control of Amplitube and eliminate the ability to have the Keystep connect to the iPad (which needs to happen via the USB out on the Keysetep to the Lightning port on the iPad). If that set up precludes on or the other the iRig stomp probably won't be too useful.

This is a long post but any guidance would be sincerely appreciated!
Wayne77

Return to Interfaces & Controllers