Thinking of buying an AXE I/O questions

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Re: Thinking of buying an AXE I/O questions

Postby Not_Here11 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Ryan_IK wrote:
Not_Here11 wrote:I have watched and read a lot of reviews on this item :ugeek: ) that it is, doable to record a Wet signal on one track and have the Clean signal recorded a the same time for a safety/re-amp track. That right there is a big plus for recording guitarists out there? Are you familiar with that capability?

That's one of the best parts of the AXE I/O. Check out the GIF above. In this example I'm using AmpliTube 4 and the routing matrix in Studio One 4 to send signal between sources. With the AXE I/O re-amp output and mic pres you can use a similar concept to re-amp your live gear like your stomp boxes or guitar amps in real time.

Not_Here11 wrote:The FX loop issue I was referring to is using the Stomp I/O connected via USB to a macbook running Amplitube to use all of its features ( controlled by stomp i/o) and being able to connect the Stomp I/O rig to the FX loop on the Head of my guitar amp/cab, using a four cable method (four cable method can be found on YouTube ). this would allow the Amplitube/Stomp I/O to be the fx processor and my head to be my guitar preamp and output through my cab.

Would you see a way to accomplish this with the use of the AXE I/O?

The AXE I/O has the same outputs as the iRig Stomp I/O (1/4" Headphones, & 1/2 Line output) plus a couple more. In this situation I would use the re-amp out to the FX Return of your amplifier. The FX send can go into the AXE I/O input channel 1. Using Z-Tone and the gain control you should be able to get a good signal routed each way. I've found this can produce interesting results when using time-based effects like delay or reverb.

Thanks for posting the GIF! that is exactly what I was referring to, being able to record both at once, which really is all about the routing huh ?

I have seen (sparsely) reports of problems in Win10 with drivers? Nothing specific, but I have to ask if you have seen any circumstances that Win10 and the AXE I/O may cause other crashes with in the system? I know that it is kind of a vague question, but when mixing a large project, stability is priority.

I would more than likely purchase via Amazon, understanding that I lose participating in the Jam Points program. Fine, as I can avoid the long wait times and save a little too.

Will I still get credit when I register the product for the group buy? I think the answer is yes, but I would like to confirm.

Also if indeed it does result in any instability, I assume I can return said item? (probably back to Amazon?)

Thanks for your time and patience answering all these questions!
Not_Here11

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 am

Odd, I haven't seen reports of Windows 10 instability. Ryan may have more solid data from being in tune with the official support department but I know I've been using mine on Windows 10 rock solid for a long long time. I'm sure anybody that has had any issues with theirs have or could have been taken care of by the support staff expediently. AXE I/O receives so many accolades because it is definitely not only great-sounding but solid for folks. It is really one of the best things IK has ever made.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:01 am

Not_Here11 wrote:Thanks for posting the GIF! that is exactly what I was referring to, being able to record both at once, which really is all about the routing huh ?

Yes. Routing is a great tool, which can be used to accomplish exactly what you're talking about. The AXE I/O just makes it that much easier and with various options you may not find elsewhere in the price range.

Not_Here11 wrote:I have seen (sparsely) reports of problems in Win10 with drivers? Nothing specific, but I have to ask if you have seen any circumstances that Win10 and the AXE I/O may cause other crashes with in the system? I know that it is kind of a vague question, but when mixing a large project, stability is priority.

I personally use Windows 10 and I've never had an issue with stability even at the lower-side of the audio buffer size options. I can't say I've ever had a problem running any of my bigger sessions with various VIs, multiple AmpliTube 4 instances, and different FX plug-ins either. With the dedicated drivers and control panel, you can really get the most out of the hardware.

Once you're registered, just make sure to download your control panel & drivers from your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account. This will include a firmware updater, which will alert you when new firmware is available.

Not_Here11 wrote:I would more than likely purchase via Amazon, understanding that I lose participating in the Jam Points program. Fine, as I can avoid the long wait times and save a little too.

Will I still get credit when I register the product for the group buy? I think the answer is yes, but I would like to confirm.

Through an authorized IK dealer, like Amazon you'll have no problems getting into the Group Buy or your Jam Points.

Read full information on Jam Points here.

Read full information on the Pick N' Mix Group Buy.

Not_Here11 wrote:Also if indeed it does result in any instability, I assume I can return said item? (probably back to Amazon?)

Of course, like any item you have a return period, but I wouldn't be concerned with stability as mentioned above. If you do purchase it and you have any troubles, I would
Not_Here11 wrote:Thanks for your time and patience answering all these questions!

Glad I could help :D
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Not_Here11 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:52 am

Peter_IK wrote:Odd, I haven't seen reports of Windows 10 instability. Ryan may have more solid data from being in tune with the official support department but I know I've been using mine on Windows 10 rock solid for a long long time. I'm sure anybody that has had any issues with theirs have or could have been taken care of by the support staff expediently. AXE I/O receives so many accolades because it is definitely not only great-sounding but solid for folks. It is really one of the best things IK has ever made.

I concur and was just asking to make sure I've crossed all my T's and dotted my i's...( holy crap I'm old) I'm running a custom install of Win10 Pro and it has been Rock solid so far, and believe me, I push it... no worries, I built it to handle everything.
Pretty much own every T-Racks Plug but a few more of the AT amp collections would be nice.. REALLY partial to the Dimebag Darrell CFH...

Seriously though, It was really, Warren Huart and his interview with Davide Barbi as I'm a longtime member of PLAP, that was the final push to pick one of these up.

Thanks Peter!
Not_Here11

Postby Not_Here11 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:56 am

Ryan_IK wrote:
Not_Here11 wrote:Thanks for posting the GIF! that is exactly what I was referring to, being able to record both at once, which really is all about the routing huh ?

Yes. Routing is a great tool, which can be used to accomplish exactly what you're talking about. The AXE I/O just makes it that much easier and with various options you may not find elsewhere in the price range.

Not_Here11 wrote:I have seen (sparsely) reports of problems in Win10 with drivers? Nothing specific, but I have to ask if you have seen any circumstances that Win10 and the AXE I/O may cause other crashes with in the system? I know that it is kind of a vague question, but when mixing a large project, stability is priority.

I personally use Windows 10 and I've never had an issue with stability even at the lower-side of the audio buffer size options. I can't say I've ever had a problem running any of my bigger sessions with various VIs, multiple AmpliTube 4 instances, and different FX plug-ins either. With the dedicated drivers and control panel, you can really get the most out of the hardware.

Once you're registered, just make sure to download your control panel & drivers from your User Area -> My Products section of your IK Multimedia account. This will include a firmware updater, which will alert you when new firmware is available.

Not_Here11 wrote:I would more than likely purchase via Amazon, understanding that I lose participating in the Jam Points program. Fine, as I can avoid the long wait times and save a little too.

Through an authorized IK dealer, like Amazon you'll have no problems getting into the Group Buy or your Jam Points.

Read full information on Jam Points here.

Read full information on the Pick N' Mix Group Buy.

Not_Here11 wrote:Also if indeed it does result in any instability, I assume I can return said item? (probably back to Amazon?)

Of course, like any item you have a return period, but I wouldn't be concerned with stability as mentioned above. If you do purchase it and you have any troubles, I would

Thanks for your time and patience answering all these questions!

Glad I could help :D[/quote]

Ryan! You're awesome, thanks for really giving quality answers and great information.
Great help on a Forum can make or break a return customers experience, and you've helped to make mine a good one.

Thank You Sir!
Not_Here11

Postby nevermore32974 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Reading through the comments here, seems the community is well versed in this equipment. I've been using Amplitube 4 for the past 3 years for recording using my old GuitarPort from Line 6 as the interface without issues and love the tone I've created in the software. As such, I'm wondering what switching to this product helps me do that I can't currently. I would primarily be interested in a way to take those presets with me without needing a laptop on stage. So my question is, can the unit function as a standalone rack with presets stored in it and fed into the PA or do I have to have a computer in the chain at all times? Thanks in advance.
nevermore32974

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:00 pm

nevermore32974 wrote:Reading through the comments here, seems the community is well versed in this equipment. I've been using Amplitube 4 for the past 3 years for recording using my old GuitarPort from Line 6 as the interface without issues and love the tone I've created in the software. As such, I'm wondering what switching to this product helps me do that I can't currently. I would primarily be interested in a way to take those presets with me without needing a laptop on stage. So my question is, can the unit function as a standalone rack with presets stored in it and fed into the PA or do I have to have a computer in the chain at all times? Thanks in advance.

Hi, the most important thing guitar-wise here would be that Input 1 with Z-Tone and other guitar-centric control will definitely be a step up in the guitar signal you get into your computer vs a typical Instrument/Hi-Z input like you'll find on other audio interfaces. This is one of the key benefits and distinguishing features of AXE I/O.

You can change presets by using either the dial on the front of AXE I/O, or via switches connected directly to the control ports on the back, or you can connect a full MIDI controller to the MIDI ports on the back for ultimate control.

Since AXE I/O is an audio interface and doesn't house the AmpliTube code on the hardware unit, you would need to use a computer to run AmpliTube. You can send AXE I/O's outputs to a PA/mixer with great results.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mingury » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:26 am

I have finally pulled the trigger and have one shipping on the way...

I wonder if anyone has compared the mic pre with the Apogee Duet? or Apollo Twin? or even Focusrite Clarett?
I am going to compare and how the mic pre stands against and hopefully sell the Duet as my work is mostly electric guitar focused. But good mic pre is also important. If Axe I/O stacks up well it will make the Duet a surplus.

Haven't found much on the mic pre comparison to others so would be really interested to hear anyone's experience. Thanks.
mingury

Postby reapermusic » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:13 am

My answer may or may not be of help but I record guitar direct using amp Sims (Amplitube) and ( THU) for my particular situation the AXE IO is definitely an upgrade, personally I love it!
Other interfaces I own are behringer umc series, Mackie Producer series and Focusrite Scarlett I don't use any of those anymore besides the AXE IO is soooo guitar oriented
reapermusic

Postby mingury » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:51 am

reapermusic wrote:My answer may or may not be of help but I record guitar direct using amp Sims (Amplitube) and ( THU) for my particular situation the AXE IO is definitely an upgrade, personally I love it!
Other interfaces I own are behringer umc series, Mackie Producer series and Focusrite Scarlett I don't use any of those anymore besides the AXE IO is soooo guitar oriented

That's great to hear thanks.
Yep i use scuffham, amplitube, overloud all the usual stuff. Really stoked to try Axe I/O at last. Hopefully it will be a step up from the older interfaces I have.
mingury

Postby Thrashmetl » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:38 am

So I’ve been itching to pick up the new Axe I/O Solo since I saw it at NAMM, but I recently got into synthesizers and Korg Volka’s pretty hard. I finally pre-ordered the Solo a few days ago, but then I started wondering how I would record stereo from my synthesizer and my Volca which is also stereo.

So my question is this, and it may be a stupid one because I’m rather new to all of this: If I switch my order to the regular Axe I/O, can I use the combo jacks on the back at the same time to simultaneously record the left and right outputs from my synth? Or can you only record one signal at a time? If not, is there any conceivable way to record a stereo source in either the regular Axe I/O or the Axe I/O Solo? I’m just assuming that none of the inputs on either unit are stereo.
Thrashmetl

Postby dlgebert » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:55 pm

Thrashmetl wrote:If I switch my order to the regular Axe I/O, can I use the combo jacks on the back at the same time to simultaneously record the left and right outputs from my synth? Or can you only record one signal at a time?

I have the original AXE I/O and below is from one of my earlier posts that hopefully will answer your question.

dlgebert wrote:A couple of things to note, the Line Inputs on the AXE I/O are balanced only, so balanced cables would be needed.

The other thing that I learned quite quickly when I got my AXE I/O is that only one input source (Instrument, XLR or Line) can be used at a time and it's hardware switchable. For example, if you have a guitar instrument cable connected to channel #1 in the front and an XLR mic cable connected in the back, and say, a permanent balanced line cable connected to an effect rack, only the instrument input will be active. The only way to use the microphone XLR input is to unplug the guitar cable from the front, and the only way to hear the output from the effect rack plugged into the balanced line input is to unplug the XLR cable.

It's hardware switchable, so XLR trumps Line and Instrument trumps XLR and/or Line. I wanted to have things plugged in at once, and not have to unplug anything, but it doesn't work that way...

Dave
dlgebert

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:09 pm

See above and put most simply, AXE I/O (per its web page, specs, etc) is a 2-in/5-out interface so you can record two inputs at a time.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Previous

Return to Interfaces & Controllers