Thinking of buying an AXE I/O questions

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Thinking of buying an AXE I/O questions

Postby reapermusic » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 pm

I am strongly considering buying The AXE I/O but have a few questions.
I currently use a Mackie ONYX 2 in 2 out interface which is working very well, no complaints.
However after reading up on the AXE I/O I am really intrigued by the Z tone knob and of course the re-amping and tuner are just awesome features as is the passive and active switch.
I feel these features are enough for me to upgrade and of course the inclusion of Amplitube is awesome too, always wanted to try it!

My questions are.... Can the AXE I/O be used as a traditional audio interface and have it work with other software such as Overloud TH-3, Bias FX also?

Can the AXE I/O be linked to control presets and parameters in Overloud TH-3 in the same way it would with the included Amplitube 4 deluxe?

My latency is great with my Mackie...I'm wondering what latency is like with the AXE I/O..I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

My last question...would there be any benefit in connecting line 6 Helix to input one on the AXE I/O and using the Z-Tone knob? (probably not but thought I would ask anyway)

If any users can chime in I would appreciate any info you can give regarding your experiences with this device as well as info on latency ect even though I don't NEED a new interface I'm really liking these features and can really help and enhance workflow

Thanks much!
reapermusic

Re: Thinking of buying an AXE I/O questions

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm

reapermusic wrote:I am strongly considering buying The AXE I/O but have a few questions.
I currently use a Mackie ONYX 2 in 2 out interface which is working very well, no complaints.
However after reading up on the AXE I/O I am really intrigued by the Z tone knob and of course the re-amping and tuner are just awesome features as is the passive and active switch.
I feel these features are enough for me to upgrade and of course the inclusion of Amplitube is awesome too, always wanted to try it!

As a guitarist for over 3.5 decades, I can say that this is definitely the technology we've been waiting for. Well "we" if you're an old fogey for sure and "we" in general as a guitarist as the guitar-centric features are, as you mention, enough to justify an upgrade.

My questions are.... Can the AXE I/O be used as a traditional audio interface and have it work with other software such as Overloud TH-3, Bias FX also?

Absolutely. It will not only work with other amp sims (but definitely give AmpliTube a good runthrough since you will get it free with AXE I/O :) ), but it will work VERY well for other recording like acoustic guitar, vocals, analog synths, basically anything you can plug into it or put a microphone in front of. The mic pres are really really good on this too (and this is coming from someone who has used some classic analog gear and excellent mic preamps).

Can the AXE I/O be linked to control presets and parameters in Overloud TH-3 in the same way it would with the included Amplitube 4 deluxe?

You can use the AXE I/O Control Panel software to map to MIDI CC Relative/Absolute to coincide with the program you're using with.

My latency is great with my Mackie...I'm wondering what latency is like with the AXE I/O..I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

Latency is insanely low with AXE I/O.

My last question...would there be any benefit in connecting line 6 Helix to input one on the AXE I/O and using the Z-Tone knob? (probably not but thought I would ask anyway)

Typically that's for the input into the modeling software, etc, and that's a guitar input so you'd likely need to plug that into the back as a line input due to the level coming out of the Helix.

If any users can chime in I would appreciate any info you can give regarding your experiences with this device as well as info on latency ect even though I don't NEED a new interface I'm really liking these features and can really help and enhance workflow

Yes, other users please do chime in! We have heard quite a lot of great things being said online about AXE I/O and you can read a lot of unsolicited opinions from real users here. We'll have reviewer quotes too, soon. And I know Ryan has many more user quotes that he's gathered from online posts in addition to the ones at that link.

Thanks much!

You're welcome!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby reapermusic » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:09 pm

Hello Peter!

Thanks for answering all my questions and for providing me with all this information especially coming from a fellow guitarist! ha! It helped making my decision easier

I did have difficulty placing my order last nite, tried a bunch of times but my order just wasn't going through for some reason then I gave up because I wasn't sure if I was being charged multiple times due to a glitch or something so I ended up ordering from Amazon anyhow it's arriving tonite so all is good, I couldn't resist haha

A quick note, I did realize this morning why I was having trouble ordering last nite ...I noticed my browser was not playing nice with Paypal I was using Mozilla sucks because I don't get to earn or use jam points now but meh I'm just happy to recieve the new toy and put it through it's paces ha!

Good to hear that the preamps are also high quality, nice!
You mentioned Amplitube also, I'm just as excited about that too because I had been eyeing it for some time and curious so it's great that it comes with the AXE I/O, very cool!

Well, this weekend I'll set everything up! Can't wait!

Thanks again

-Pete
reapermusic

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Awesome! Happy to help (and to get to give some "old man advice" sometimes referred to as rambling ;) ). If you are comfortable sharing your work, once you get to using your new AXE I/O, post some clips to share with the community in our "Jam Session" subforum.

Enjoy it! Always great to help people make music, and it is exciting that IK tools are present in that wonderful creative process.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby reapermusic » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:21 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Awesome! Happy to help (and to get to give some "old man advice" sometimes referred to as rambling ;) ). If you are comfortable sharing your work, once you get to using your new AXE I/O, post some clips to share with the community in our "Jam Session" subforum.

Enjoy it! Always great to help people make music, and it is exciting that IK tools are present in that wonderful creative process.

Haha! Keep on rambling, call it what you will, rambling or advice I'll take it, thanks! LOL
Just a quick update,I managed to set it up earlier today, set up was a breeze... the most difficult part for me was attaching the adapter prongs to the AC adapter.. For some reason that literally drove me nuts hahaha
I don't know if it was an anomaly or something but I just could not for the life of me get the adapter to sit!
Anyhow I'm very happy with the unit! It sounds awesome puts out plenty of power out of the master and headphones. The Z knob really works and definitely changes your sound,I tried both active and passive equipped guitars and the switch works great. I also love how the inputs automatically sense whether you are plugging in an instrument, line or mic just very very cool! I have yet to try reamping but will do so. My only gripe and honestly I was just a little bit disappointed again not such a big deal,perhaps can be tweaked somehow in the future maybe via a firmware update???... The tuner is VERY touchy and jumps around a lot, for example it will never stay in the center leaving me to not be 100% sure if I'm in tune,of course use my ears also. I did notice that if it stays in the center for 1 second even though that's very little time... It's in tune. I confirmed this by checking with my other tuners and comparing the results.
I have tested the AXE plugging guitars as well as hardware amp cab modellers.
The gain knobs work great and the unit looks awesome!
So far with my time spent with it I find this an awesome device and very happy I bought it, highly recommend it!
My next step is to learn and try to reamp with it and get around to using AmpliTube also but so far so good!!
Just wanted to drop a quick update!
Yes the jam session sub forum sounds nice!
Thanks
reapermusic

Postby Not_Here11 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:01 am

Thanks to both of you - for the info and conversation in the thread.

I am all but sold on the Axe I/O as it would be just the right size for my mixing studio. It seems to be both a great interface and an awesome addition to my guitar setup. The Re-amp and other guitar-centric features are spot on.

However I really am curious how well does the iRig Stomp I/O integrate with this Axe I/O?
In fact, I can find VERY little on this subject. i see only a setting for two switches? Stomp I/O has four.
Will I still be able to fully control AT with the Stomp I/O?

Is there a way to have full use of the Stomp I/O while it is connected via midi to the Axe I/O?
It makes no mention of this in either owners manual or really anywhere in this Forum.

I have figured there are a number of ways to ways to connect the Stomp to the Axe. None of them are really a proper method though. Stomp has a MAJOR deficiency (no fx loop) that really is a disservice to those wanting to use it with an amp via a "four cable" method.

I was really hoping to be able to use the Stomp I/O again with the use of the Axe I/O.

Can you Peter or anybody else chime in and provide any info?
Thanks in advance!
Not_Here11

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Not_Here11 wrote:[u]However I really am curious how well does the iRig Stomp I/O integrate with this Axe I/O?

They actually work very well together in a variety of ways. While it's not one of the biggest selling points, the iRig Stomp I/O can be set to "Stand-alone" mode (Power up holding Pedal 1 to enter/exit this mode) to be used as a general MIDI controller. This allows the iRig Stomp I/O to connect directly to the AXE I/O via 5-pin MIDI for use in Stomp Mode or Preset Mode.

The iRig Stomp I/O can also just be used connected to the same system as the AXE I/O in AmpliTube 4 stand alone. The MIDI Input would be selected as the iRig Stomp I/O to access LIVE mode. The AXE I/O would then get the a great signal into AmpliTube with full control over your sound using the Z-Tone, Active/Passive, and JFET/Pure controls.

Not_Here11 wrote:In fact, I can find VERY little on this subject. i see only a setting for two switches? Stomp I/O has four.
Will I still be able to fully control AT with the Stomp I/O?

Is there a way to have full use of the Stomp I/O while it is connected via midi to the Axe I/O?

When using the AXE I/O and iRig Stomp I/O, I would use one of the two configurations mentioned above. The first configuration using "Stand-alone" mode, would allow for use of the iRig Stomp I/O pedals as well as the AXE I/O external inputs and PRESET knob to function.

Not_Here11 wrote:I have figured there are a number of ways to ways to connect the Stomp to the Axe. None of them are really a proper method though. Stomp has a MAJOR deficiency (no fx loop) that really is a disservice to those wanting to use it with an amp via a "four cable" method.

An FX loop sounds interesting, that's not something you would normally used with an audio interface, but thanks for the interest here. To get an FX Loop sound, use the INSERT section in AmpliTube 4. This signal flow will operate similarly.

Hope this info helps! :geek: :mrgreen:
Ryan_IK
Senpai

AXE I/O question

Postby cdirect » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 pm

I have the AXE I/O (my old interface died) and have been using Waves GTR Plug in to dial in my tone. Then I used Studio One to record a GTR track. While recording, I was able to hear the wet signal, but only the dry signal was recorded?? I can't figure out why. I feel like I missed a setting somewhere. My goal is to hear the wet signal and record the wet signal with near zero latency. HELP!
cdirect

Re: AXE I/O question

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:04 pm

cdirect wrote:I have the AXE I/O (my old interface died) and have been using Waves GTR Plug in to dial in my tone. Then I used Studio One to record a GTR track. While recording, I was able to hear the wet signal, but only the dry signal was recorded?? I can't figure out why. I feel like I missed a setting somewhere. My goal is to hear the wet signal and record the wet signal with near zero latency. HELP!

When using any audio interface with a guitar effect plugin, you are only really recording the dry signal from your guitar. You would need to add GTR or whatever guitar amp sim plugin as an effect on your audio track to hear the results. The plugin processes the dry direct tone and that's where you hear the amp/fx/etc.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby cdirect » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:00 pm

I still feel like I must be missing something... my old interface was a LINE6 UX2 with Pod Farm 2 for the guitar tones. It worked fine, I could hear the wet tones when recording in my DAW or when I was just jamming (but my UX2 interface died). LINE6 must have somehow captured the input signal (wet from POD Farm) and kept it independent from needing to be a dry track that needed a POD Farm plug in to get the wet recorded tone. When I recorded with the UX2 and POD Farm, there was nothing in the signal chain in the track in the DAW, just the guitar signal. I think, maybe, AXE I/O and Amplitube work the same way -- once these 2 are connected, they just work and maybe I'd hear the wet signal and record the wet signal. But Amplitube is too expensive and I like Waves GTR tones more. I added GTR plug in to my DAW as suggested (just like a compressor or a gate) and I can hear the wet tone, but it competes with the direct (dry) tone. So this is useable to me. I really like the Z tone and gain features on the AXE i/o when I'm jamming, but if I can't record it then I'll have to consider a different interface.
cdirect

Postby Ryan_IK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:53 pm

cdirect wrote:I still feel like I must be missing something... my old interface was a LINE6 UX2 with Pod Farm 2 for the guitar tones. It worked fine, I could hear the wet tones when recording in my DAW or when I was just jamming (but my UX2 interface died). LINE6 must have somehow captured the input signal (wet from POD Farm) and kept it independent from needing to be a dry track that needed a POD Farm plug in to get the wet recorded tone. When I recorded with the UX2 and POD Farm, there was nothing in the signal chain in the track in the DAW, just the guitar signal. I think, maybe, AXE I/O and Amplitube work the same way -- once these 2 are connected, they just work and maybe I'd hear the wet signal and record the wet signal. But Amplitube is too expensive and I like Waves GTR tones more. I added GTR plug in to my DAW as suggested (just like a compressor or a gate) and I can hear the wet tone, but it competes with the direct (dry) tone. So this is useable to me. I really like the Z tone and gain features on the AXE i/o when I'm jamming, but if I can't record it then I'll have to consider a different interface.

The UX2 works differently than most audio interfaces. From my personal experience, I remember the UX1 would run POD Farm outside of the DAW and send processed guitar signal into the DAW.

Normally you will record clean audio into your DAW and process this with a plug-in, like AmpliTube, or GTR as you've mentioned. There are various ways to take the signal from your plug-in and re-record this. If you can send me the DAW you're using I can make a suggestion (Sorry if it's buried in the thread and I missed it! :) ).
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby cdirect » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:01 am

I use Presonus Studio One. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things.
cdirect

Postby Not_Here11 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:02 am

Ryan_IK wrote:
They actually work very well together in a variety of ways. While it's not one of the biggest selling points, the iRig Stomp I/O can be set to "Stand-alone" mode (Power up holding Pedal 1 to enter/exit this mode) to be used as a general MIDI controller. This allows the iRig Stomp I/O to connect directly to the AXE I/O via 5-pin MIDI for use in Stomp Mode or Preset Mode.

The iRig Stomp I/O can also just be used connected to the same system as the AXE I/O in AmpliTube 4 stand alone. The MIDI Input would be selected as the iRig Stomp I/O to access LIVE mode. The AXE I/O would then get the a great signal into AmpliTube with full control over your sound using the Z-Tone, Active/Passive, and JFET/Pure controls.

Thank you so much! none of this information is available anywhere. It sounds as if these two items do indeed work well together. Assuming I do get the AXE I/O in the same room, I may be back for further instructions should I get "stuck" ;)

Ryan_IK wrote:When using the AXE I/O and iRig Stomp I/O, I would use one of the two configurations mentioned above. The first configuration using "Stand-alone" mode, would allow for use of the iRig Stomp I/O pedals as well as the AXE I/O external inputs and PRESET knob to function.

This option of having all pedals of Stomp I/O and the inputs on the AXE I/O does seem to be very workable.

**I did catch in the User Manual ( I think... I have watched and read a lot of reviews on this item :ugeek: ) that it is, doable to record a Wet signal on one track and have the Clean signal recorded a the same time for a safety/re-amp track. That right there is a big plus for recording guitarists out there? Are you familiar with that capability?

Not_Here11 wrote:I have figured there are a number of ways to ways to connect the Stomp to the Axe. None of them are really a proper method though. Stomp has a MAJOR deficiency (no fx loop) that really is a disservice to those wanting to use it with an amp via a "four cable" method.

Ryan_IK wrote:An FX loop sounds interesting, that's not something you would normally used with an audio interface, but thanks for the interest here. To get an FX Loop sound, use the INSERT section in AmpliTube 4. This signal flow will operate similarly.

The FX loop issue I was referring to is using the Stomp I/O connected via USB to a macbook running Amplitube to use all of its features ( controlled by stomp i/o) and being able to connect the Stomp I/O rig to the FX loop on the Head of my guitar amp/cab, using a four cable method (four cable method can be found on YouTube ). this would allow the Amplitube/Stomp I/O to be the fx processor and my head to be my guitar preamp and output through my cab.

Would you see a way to accomplish this with the use of the AXE I/O?

Ryan_IK wrote:Hope this info helps! :geek: :mrgreen:

Absolutely it helps, The more info I have, the more likely I'll make a purchase in the next few days.. ;) :mrgreen:
Not_Here11

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:18 am

cdirect wrote:I use Presonus Studio One. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate you taking the time to explain things.

Check out this GIF, this should help.The first track is the dry or D.I signal with AmpliTube on it, the second is a completely clean track I've used to record AmpliTube's output. In the Studio One 4 I/O (Input/Output) section for your second track you'll see an option to accept the input from a another track, use the input from track 1. This will be AmpliTube's output.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:30 am

Not_Here11 wrote:I have watched and read a lot of reviews on this item :ugeek: ) that it is, doable to record a Wet signal on one track and have the Clean signal recorded a the same time for a safety/re-amp track. That right there is a big plus for recording guitarists out there? Are you familiar with that capability?

That's one of the best parts of the AXE I/O. Check out the GIF above. In this example I'm using AmpliTube 4 and the routing matrix in Studio One 4 to send signal between sources. With the AXE I/O re-amp output and mic pres you can use a similar concept to re-amp your live gear like your stomp boxes or guitar amps in real time.

Not_Here11 wrote:The FX loop issue I was referring to is using the Stomp I/O connected via USB to a macbook running Amplitube to use all of its features ( controlled by stomp i/o) and being able to connect the Stomp I/O rig to the FX loop on the Head of my guitar amp/cab, using a four cable method (four cable method can be found on YouTube ). this would allow the Amplitube/Stomp I/O to be the fx processor and my head to be my guitar preamp and output through my cab.

Would you see a way to accomplish this with the use of the AXE I/O?

The AXE I/O has the same outputs as the iRig Stomp I/O (1/4" Headphones, & 1/2 Line output) plus a couple more. In this situation I would use the re-amp out to the FX Return of your amplifier. The FX send can go into the AXE I/O input channel 1. Using Z-Tone and the gain control you should be able to get a good signal routed each way. I've found this can produce interesting results when using time-based effects like delay or reverb.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers