iRig UA or iRig HD 2?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig UA or iRig HD 2?

Postby ThomasTheTankEngine » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 am

Hello, everyone!
I have been playing since 1998. I once dabbled in a "laptop amplifier program recorder thingy" when I was in Iraq in 2008. I used a Native Instruments program with a little box. I thought it was pretty cool. Needless to say the little box didn't survive being shipped by in my unit's container and after that I went back to regular amps and never thought about that type of system again. I was actually looking at a Fender Mustang I v.2 amp for home recording because of the Fender Fuse software. I went through a few YouTube videos about how to use it and saw one talking about the Amplitube Fender stuff being included as well. Then I looked up Amplitube and a bell started ringing in my mind about the setup I used in Iraq. So the Amplitube Fender Collection 2 with Greg Koch video came across my YouTube suggestions and I was sold. This stuff sounds amazing! It is the perfect setup for me. I moved to a city in Poland and live in a small European style apartment so a big amp is out of the question. I was searching and searching for smaller amps that could sound cranked at lower volumes but I think this is the best solution.
Anyway, introductions aside. I am wondering which interface to get. The iRig UA says it will also work with a laptop but will the iRig HD 2 work with an Android device? I would obviously rather buy the HD 2 since it comes with Amplitube 4 but I would also like the portability of being able to use the app on my phone if I need to.
ThomasTheTankEngine

Re: iRig UA or iRig HD 2?

Postby racoons13 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:10 am

Hey Thomas,
I've had pretty much the same dream as you with my guitar conventional amp rig then to a computer amp modeling type rig. I remember a little program I found years ago called simply guitarfx. I tried it out for a free trial and thought it was pretty cool. It was real basic but back then it lit me up. I had played drums in bands for years and knew the difference between a Heath Kit homemade amp, a PigNose, an Acoustic amp, an Ampeg full stack, but once I heard my buddies Marshal stack for the first time, all the others faded away.
So, when i started playing the guitar more I wanted that sound. I didn't have a lot of money, still don't, but anyway, I ran across the guitarfx progam. I'll be damned if it didn't sound the closest to hot rodded Marshall I had ever heard! Plus, it had a builtin effects chain and basic effects all configurable and parameters adjustable. I had to buy it. It cost $15 if I remember. Ah, yes....fun, remember fun?
So, in search of the better thing (always for some stupid reason!) I went through the Native Instruments Guitar Rig 4, 5 and ended up with IK and their Amplitube 3,4. I started with a iRig UA because I'd only had an Android tablet, and wanted the size and potability of it. I've used it with my laptop running Windows Vista (yuk) 7 and now 10. It's been good when it was good, but there's been bad downtime that I always seem to end up troubleshooting and fixing and more than the actual playing. I'm tired of this crap!
I just got my first iPhone (yay!) and I'm going to get the iRig HD 2. I can use it on my new iPhone 7 (yay!) and it is compatible with the other Apple family devices, plus it'll work with a Mac and PC. I'm not sure if it will work with an Android or not. If it does okay. But, if it doesn't, it weighs nothing on the scale of a selllng point for me. And with all the other uses for the HD 2 recording and such...please, gotta get me one!
You can probably still find guitarfx online. Or, heck I could send you a link. It's real fun!
Roy
racoons13

Return to Interfaces & Controllers