Help- Where is the processed sound going?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Help- Where is the processed sound going?

Postby Music Fusion » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 pm

I am using the Garage Band app on my iPad.

I am also using the IRIG2 to plug my guitar into. Basically , here is what i am doing:

I am using an app called Bias FX, which is basically an app that provides amplifier simulations for guitars.

So, My guitar goes into the IRIG2, using a 1/4 cable.

There is a 1/4 cable that runs out of the IRIG 2, and into my sound module, which is a Steinberg UR44.

I plug the 1/8 inch stereo plug from my IRIG 2, into my iPad.

I then fire up Bias FX (the amp simulator app). I also fire up Garage Band.

Both Garage Band and Bias FX support in app sound, so Garage Band can hear the signal coming out of the amp simulator.

The problem is, Garage Band seems to record the dry unprocessed signal, rather than the processed signal from the Bias FX amp simulator. In other words, for example, i am playing a distorted guitar sound, thinking that it is recording as such, but when i play it back in Garage Band, i actually get an unprocessed clean sound.

What am i doing wrong? I'd like to record the processed sound, as that is the whole poi t of having the amp simulator.

Thanks for your help and for reading this.
Music Fusion

Re: Help- Where is the processed sound going?

Postby garfy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:57 am

Caveat - I don't use any of the iOS devices or software you mention, but...

AmpliTube 4, as well as similar apps such as BIAS, Guitar Rig etc, gives you emulated amp sounds in real time sounds BUT only while monitoring, leaving the recorded guitar track as the clean DI signal so you can go back and adapt your 'amped' guitar sound later on if you want.

If you want your recorded sound to include your amp sounds in GB for example, you will need to bounce out the track with the effect included after the initial recording.

However, the iRig 2 does include a 'Thru/FX' switch which dictates what comes out of the 'amplifier out socket'. If you set this to 'FX' then the emulated sound comes out from here. Page 10 of the iRig manual explains this.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: Help- Where is the processed sound going?

Postby Music Fusion » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:20 pm

That makes sense. Thanks
Music Fusion

Return to Interfaces & Controllers