Can this be done w/ Axe I/O?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Can this be done w/ Axe I/O?

Postby david54321 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:31 pm

Can this be done?? ... recording both Track1 and Track2 simultaneously, as per the setup in the image, monitoring thru headphones?

... recording a clean track + tube-colored second track in one go, monitoring using headphones, to allow for re-amping the clean track later?

Or would this possibly fry an input on the Axe? Or possibly result in too much latency?
david54321

Re: Can this be done w/ Axe I/O?

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:38 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

While this is certainly be possible with the AXE I/O. Here's how I would suggest to accomplish this.

Guitar -> AXE I/O (Input 1) -> DAW

AXE I/O (Output 5) -> Guitar Amplifier Input

Microphone -> AXE I/O (Input 2)

From here you can route your signal in various ways, I would suggest using two audio tracks. One track to simply record your clean signal and monitor back your audio in your DAW, the other to route a version to output 5 on the AXE I/O (The Re-Amp OUT).

Once routed to output 5 you will be able to hear some signal playback in your guitar amplifier. From here, use a microphone inserted into channel 2 on the back of the AXE I/O and you can record this audio into an audio track inside your DAW.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby david54321 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks, Ryan!

Would it be possible to record more quietly though, and skip using the mic & amp altogether?

Say, by going thru stomps or even a mic preamp that has a tube in it (not using the preamp as a mic preamp, just as a way to get some tube warmth while recording).
david54321

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:44 pm

Technically, yes, this is possible via the AXE I/O, but guitar amplifiers, specifically Tube amplifiers will require a speaker cabinet connected. Without one connected you can damage your amplifier. This makes this difficult.

Using different Stomp FX which do not require speaker output would work well. Using Z-Tone and the different controls on Input 1 you should be able to get a proper level when doing so. This would be one of the biggest advantages of the AXE I/O.

While I can't say I've tried a pre-amp in this way, this should technically work just fine. As long as this doesn't require a physical output like a Tube head would, this should work just fine on the AXE I/O side. Do note, if this pre-amp sends a line level output, you would need to use an input on the back of the AXE I/O.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby david54321 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:47 pm

Awesome! Great info

Thank you, Ryan!
david54321

Return to Interfaces & Controllers