Portable PA System using iRig and JBL speaker

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Portable PA System using iRig and JBL speaker

Postby marcelojmonteiro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 pm

- Hi. I am a teacher and I would like build a portable PA system.
- I have a JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Portable Stereo Speaker and would like to use with a microphone to speak to my students in the classroom.
- It is a small speaker and I don’t want to use anything bigger.
- I don’t want to use a wireless microphone
- This speaker does have a 3.5 mm jack and I would like to use it with a corded microphone.
- I intend to use a iRig Mic Lav
- Can I just plug the iRig Mic Lav in the 3.5 mm jack in the speaker?
- Do I need a preamp?
marcelojmonteiro

Re: Portable PA System using iRig and JBL speaker

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:52 pm

iRig Mic Lav cannot plug directly into your speaker. It would need a compatible iOS or Android device. You can find full Specs/requirements at https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... hp?p=specs
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby marcelojmonteiro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Is there a way to use my speaker with a corded microphone (any kind) using some kind of iRig interface? Does it work as preamp for the microphone?
marcelojmonteiro

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 pm

marcelojmonteiro wrote:Is there a way to use my speaker with a corded microphone (any kind) using some kind of iRig interface? Does it work as preamp for the microphone?

The iRig microphones are not standalone, they are meant to plug into a mobile device or computer.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby marcelojmonteiro » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 pm

...and if I plug a microphone into the P10 input in an iRig 2 interface, Can I use it with my speaker?
marcelojmonteiro

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:46 am

marcelojmonteiro wrote:...and if I plug a microphone into the P10 input in an iRig 2 interface, Can I use it with my speaker?

In that case, you'd need to make sure the input was line level so for most microphones would require an adapter. Better for this scenario of using a microphone directly would be iRig Pre https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpre/
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby marcelojmonteiro » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:48 pm

OK. So, if I have an iRig Pre and a XLR microphone, I could plug it directly to the 3.5mm AUX input in my JBL speaker, bypassing the iPhone?
marcelojmonteiro

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:07 am

marcelojmonteiro wrote:OK. So, if I have an iRig Pre and a XLR microphone, I could plug it directly to the 3.5mm AUX input in my JBL speaker, bypassing the iPhone?

No. I meant directly into your iOS device without needing an adapter to convert the mic to line level signal like you would for iRig 2.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby marcelojmonteiro » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 am

The iRig Pre has an 3.5 mm output to plug a headphone. Could I use a P2-P2 cable to link the iRig Pre and the speaker?
marcelojmonteiro

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 pm

marcelojmonteiro wrote:The iRig Pre has an 3.5 mm output to plug a headphone. Could I use a P2-P2 cable to link the iRig Pre and the speaker?

You can output from the headphone jack to a powered speaker, but again you'll need to connect iRig Pre to a compatible device. It will not work standalone.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers