Using Blueboard to trigger a sample

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Using Blueboard to trigger a sample

Postby Ulynch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:14 am

I'd like to use the Blueboard to simply start four pre-recorded mp3 files on my iPad. Press button A and start sample A, then press again to stop. Similar for button B and sample B, and so on.

A few years back I managed to get this working, but no longer. Previously I used midi wrench and streambyter to convert the Blueboard's incoming CC messages to specific note on and note off messages. I used an app called SAMPL to store and play the samples in response to the note on/note off midi. This combination no longer works for some reason.

Is there a better/simpler way to do this? If I could use an Android phone rather than the iPad, that's fine too.

TIA
Ulynch

Re: Using Blueboard to trigger a sample

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:43 pm

Hello!

Thanks for your post.

What happens when you try and use your older set up? Shoot me a PM with this info and I can look into this directly for you to see if we can figure with out without technical support.

Normally I would suggest using the MIDI over Bluetooth mode (For MIDI Note ON/OFF messages) with an app like MIDI Flow. This would connect to the iRig BlueBoard and send MIDI messages to the app of your choice (to trigger your sounds). SampleTank CS is a great app with a bunch of sounds you can trigger. Unfortunately, this will not allow the import of user sounds, so another third party app may be a better option here.

Note* Power ON the iRig BlueBoard holding pedal 'B' to enter MIDI over Bluetooth Mode 1 for MIDI Note ON/OFF messages.

Unfortunately, I do not have any suggestions for this type of use on Android. At this time, the iRig BlueBoard is only really designed for use with iKlip Stage on this platform.

Hope this helps!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Ulynch » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 am

Hiya Ryan,

Actually your tip for MidiFlow was spot on. After I updated the Blueboard's firmware, I now have midi note on capability, and can pair directly to MidiFlow. That eliminates one app in this chain. Now I open MidiFlow, pair with the BlueBoard, then open SAMPL. Bam! Done.

I no longer need the BlueBoard app, and I don't need to use MidiBridge/StreamByter to convert the BlueBoard's cc messages to notes.

Well worth the $8 investment for MidiFlow :-)
Ulynch

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:59 pm

Glad to hear everything is working :D
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Interfaces & Controllers