iRig Pro, GarageBand and USB's

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Pro, GarageBand and USB's

Postby Philfee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:17 am

Hi guys
I'm quite new to using DAW's and I want to be able to plug my keyboard (Novation Launchkey 61) into GarageBand on my iPad and iPhone - which as we all know, no longer have a headphone jacks :roll: - and be able to use to headphones rather than just the silly little speakers on the apple devices themselves.
My keyboard only has USB out so can I make this happen for me with an iRig Pro?
If so, how?
Thanks in advance
Philfee

Re: iRig Pro, GarageBand and USB's

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Hey Philfee,

While iOS would only allow one device to be connected at a time, we did recently release the iRig Keys I/O series. This series of keyboards include a high quality audio interface. This allows for both audio output to be routed through the headphone port on the iRig Keys I/O, but also the 1/4" line level outputs while using the keyboard and knobs as a MIDI controller.

This device also solves the issue of charging with it's included PSU3a port. This will not only power the iRig Keys I/O, but also charge your iOS device.

Check out this series at the link below.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigkeysio/
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Philfee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 pm

So a USB to 1/4 adapter wouldn’t work?

I’m also curious as to the midi in socket. Would a USB to 1/8 adapter go in there and allow me to use my keyboard with the iPhone that way?

I just want to use my keyboard with GarageBand, the way I see guys using guitars with it in the reviews videos.
The manual shows keyboards being plugged into the 1/8 midi in socket.
Philfee

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Philfee wrote:So a USB to 1/4 adapter wouldn’t work?

I’m also curious as to the midi in socket. Would a USB to 1/8 adapter go in there and allow me to use my keyboard with the iPhone that way?

I just want to use my keyboard with GarageBand, the way I see guys using guitars with it in the reviews videos.
The manual shows keyboards being plugged into the 1/8 midi in socket.

Unfortunately, no, a 1/4" to USB cable would not work here. The 2.5mm MIDI ports on the iRig Pro will accept MIDI input from 5-pin sources, but for USB sources an adapter would be needed which we currently do not have any suggestions for.

Perhaps a USB to Lightning adapter will work here. Check with Novation to see the best way to connect this device to iOS.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby Philfee » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Thanks Ryan,
I don’t have a problem connecting directly to the iPad or iPhone as a I use their camera adapter. I’m just searching for a bit of kit that will allow me to also use headphones. I thought the IRig Pro was going to solve it. Bluetooths no good due to latency :(
Philfee

Return to Interfaces & Controllers