Using Amplitube, can I connect a Behringer FCB1010 to a Mac?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Using Amplitube, can I connect a Behringer FCB1010 to a Mac?

Postby danmyguitars » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Dear Amplitube users,

I just play guitar as a hobby and am not very experienced with audio hardware, so forgive me if my question is too obvious for some of you.

Currently, I use Amplitube 3 on my iMac computer. I use an UX1 (Line 6) interface to connect my guitar to the computer and I use a Logidy UMI3 MIDI/USB foot controller, which is connected to my Mac with an USB cable. Everything works nicely - I can change Amplitube presets by using the Logidy foot controller.

The only problem is that the Logidy only has three switches, but I would like at least five switches (or pedals). Doing some research, the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI foot controller seems to be a good option, since it has 10 pedals. And more importantly, everyone says it works great with Amplitube.

The only problem is, unlike my Logidy, the Behringer doesn't have an USB port, so I don't know how to connect it to my Mac. (The Behringer has these two ports - MIDI IN and MIDI OUT/THRU). I did some research online, but the information doesn't seem very clear. Would an adapter like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Converter-LiDiVi-Professional-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B071KLC884/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536594544&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+midi+cable

Or do I need some special hardware?

Any help is appreciated.
danmyguitars

Re: Using Amplitube, can I connect a Behringer FCB1010 to a

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

A MIDI interface would be needed here. Check out the iRig MIDI 2 for an example of this type of device. A MIDI interface will allow your to send MIDI OUT from the Behringer pedal board to the MIDI IN on the iRig MIDI 2.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmidi2/

To answer your question on the product from your post. Yes, in theory this should work. Unfortunately, we have not tested this direct cable/adapter and cannot guarantee your results.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby danmyguitars » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks Ryan for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

Based on your information, would this be correct?

1. The Behringer pedal board connects to the iRig MIDI 2 with a special MIDI cable.

2. The iRig MIDI 2 connects to my Mac computer with a standard USB cable.

3. Then I can map Amplitube's presets to different programs on the Behringer pedal board.

A couple of more questions:

Does the iRig MIDI 2 come with the MIDI cable to connect it to the Behringer pedal board + the USB cable to connect it to the Mac? Based on the pictures, it looks like it does, but I wanted to double check.

Will the iRig MIDI 2 work with an older Mac? My Mac is from 2011 (OS X Lion).
danmyguitars

Postby Ryan_IK » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:59 pm

danmyguitars wrote:Thanks Ryan for your quick reply. I appreciate it.

Based on your information, would this be correct?

1. The Behringer pedal board connects to the iRig MIDI 2 with a special MIDI cable.

2. The iRig MIDI 2 connects to my Mac computer with a standard USB cable.

3. Then I can map Amplitube's presets to different programs on the Behringer pedal board.

A couple of more questions:

Does the iRig MIDI 2 come with the MIDI cable to connect it to the Behringer pedal board + the USB cable to connect it to the Mac? Based on the pictures, it looks like it does, but I wanted to double check.

Will the iRig MIDI 2 work with an older Mac? My Mac is from 2011 (OS X Lion).

The Behringer pedal would connect to the iRig MIDI 2 use a standard MIDI 5-pin cable (Male to male).

The iRig MIDI 2 connects to the Mac/PC system using a Mini-Din (7-pin, which is a bit different from MIDI 5-pin) to USB cable.

AmpliTube will react to MIDI PC (Program Changes) to allow for Preset changes. This software will also react to MIDI CC (Control Change) messages to turn stomps and fx on or off.

The iRig MIDI 2 will not come with a MIDI cable, but this will include the cable to connect to your Mac system. This should connect fine to a Mac system from 2011.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby danmyguitars » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 am

This is super helpful. Thanks Ryan. I just ordered the iRig MIDI 2 interface and the MIDI 5-pin cable you described.

While I wait for shipment, I have a question about the connection...

Looking at your website photos, the iRig MIDI 2 has three ports: "IN", "THRU" and "OUT"

The Behringer FCB1010 has two ports: "MIDI IN" and "MIDI OUT/THRU"

Should I plug the MIDI-5 pin cable in the "IN" port (in the iRig) and the "MIDI OUT/THRU" in the Behringer?
danmyguitars

Postby Ryan_IK » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:41 pm

danmyguitars wrote:This is super helpful. Thanks Ryan. I just ordered the iRig MIDI 2 interface and the MIDI 5-pin cable you described.

While I wait for shipment, I have a question about the connection...

Looking at your website photos, the iRig MIDI 2 has three ports: "IN", "THRU" and "OUT"

The Behringer FCB1010 has two ports: "MIDI IN" and "MIDI OUT/THRU"

Should I plug the MIDI-5 pin cable in the "IN" port (in the iRig) and the "MIDI OUT/THRU" in the Behringer?

Glad I could help. To answer your question, yes, connect the MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT/THRU port on your MIDI controller and the MIDI IN on your iRig. This will send MIDI signal from your MIDI controller into your system.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Postby danmyguitars » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi Ryan,

Just to let you know I got the iRig 2 MIDI, followed your instructions and everything is working great!

One very minor issue it took me a few minutes to figure out, and this is likely because I'm using an old MAC/OS:

If I unplug the mini USB cable from my Mac (the one that comes with the iRig), the Mac stops recognizing the MIDI connection when I plug the cable back in. To re-establish the USB connection, I have to unplug the cable from the iRig itself and plug it again in the iRig.

Thanks again for all your help! I'm able to change Amplitube presets with the FCB1010. I just have a question about the expression pedal -- I will create a different post.
danmyguitars

Return to Interfaces & Controllers