iRig Stomp I/O and “other” amp modeling software

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Stomp I/O and “other” amp modeling software

Postby redroc.k » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:02 pm

I’m starting this thread as a place for us all to gather information about using the iRig Stomp I/O with software besides Amplitube.

After 5 days of using the Stomp I/O, here’s what I can tell you. If you are using Amplitube, all of the functionality works right out of the box, plug and play – easy as can be.

If you want to use other software, in my case BIAS FX, you’ll have some work to do to configure the midi commands going from the Stomp I/O to BIAS FX. This was new to me, and a little intimidating, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. (especially with some help from annamalay)

So, I’m using an iPad Pro, connecting to the Stomp I/O with the lightning connection.

If you look in the Stomp I/O manual, this is in section 4.1 on Page 15, “Using iRig Stomp I/O as a generic MIDI controller”.

https://download.ikmultimedia.com/plugi ... Manual.pdf

This will show you the MIDI commands that get sent when buttons on the Stomp I/O get pressed. For instance, when you press Switch 1, the Stomp I/O sends CC#20 across the cable into BIAS FX.

Now, you have to tell BIAS FX what to do when it sees CC#20 come across the cable from the Stomp I/O.

BIAS FX has a “MIDI Learn” mode that really helps – you can pretty quickly get the four Stomp I/O switches working, toggling effects in BIAS FX.

Getting a WAH to work, using Stomp I/O virtual switch sending CC#26 to turn the BIAS FX WAH on and off, and then CC#11 to rock the WAH back and forth, is a good next step.

Getting a Volume Pedal to work in BIAS FX, by using CC#11 to rock the Volume Pedal back and forth, is another good next step.

So, some resources – sorry, nothing yet on specifically configuring the Stomp I/O, but here are similar setups -

This video is showing how to use MIDI Learn in BIAS FX – he is using a Blue Board, but the principle and steps are the same if you are using Stomp I/O (the blue board requires another app to work with the Bluetooth connection, but you don’t need that with the Stomp I/O and Lightning cable connection):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrZ1_w06MRU

And, this post shows how to configure MIDI to the BT-4, again, principles are the same:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/ ... BT-4-Pedal

And, lastly, a post right here in this community that helped me get going –

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14901

OK, so that should get the discussion started. Please post other information about what is working for you, what isn’t and any differences you may be seeing using Windows, Mac, or using other amp modeling software.
redroc.k

Re: iRig Stomp I/O and “other” amp modeling software

Postby ralphmoe09 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:54 am

Thanks SO much for this post! It helps tremendously..
I had configurred the Blueboard once, to change pages in Onsong, and it just worked after that,
so I really didn’t have a good idea what I had actually done.
REALLY appreciate this!
Ralphmoe
ralphmoe09

Postby funinstars » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm

A couple programs for Win and Mac that convert midi signals to keystrokes. So you can do just about anything with it. (note: I haven't tried these, but they are apparently legit, and used in the community)
Mac:
http://charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke/
Windows
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... able.shtml

note: there are many other programs that do this. These seem easy to use though, although again, not sure.
funinstars

Postby chaos75 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:36 am

I'm sorry to re-hash an old topic, but having searched and read previous topics, I'm somewhat unclear on this:

There's a lot of discussion on the midi to "control" other apps like Bias FX, which I infer to be controlling the 'stomps', ie, to turn on/off the pedals in the software. What I'm unclear about, is whether the stomp i/o can be used as an audio interface.

I don't have a seperate audio interface and am trying the free version of Bias FX mobile. I can see the guitar signal going into the stomp i/o as the gain indicator lights up, but no sound in my headphones. Maybe I'm answering my own question, but do I need to purchase a version of bias fx with the midi function for it to work?

TIA
chaos75

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 pm

chaos75 wrote:I'm sorry to re-hash an old topic, but having searched and read previous topics, I'm somewhat unclear on this:

There's a lot of discussion on the midi to "control" other apps like Bias FX, which I infer to be controlling the 'stomps', ie, to turn on/off the pedals in the software. What I'm unclear about, is whether the stomp i/o can be used as an audio interface.

I don't have a seperate audio interface and am trying the free version of Bias FX mobile. I can see the guitar signal going into the stomp i/o as the gain indicator lights up, but no sound in my headphones. Maybe I'm answering my own question, but do I need to purchase a version of bias fx with the midi function for it to work?

TIA

Yes, iRig Stomp I/O would also work with other programs as an audio interface. I would recommend contacting IK Support and/or the support team for the product you are using it with to see what the issue is.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers