iRig Stomp I/O Users Topic - Experiences and Questions

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Re: iRig Stomp I/O Users Topic - Experiences and Questions

Postby smcvey » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:04 pm

In a live situation, I want to be able to switch patches quickly (e.g. Clean Fender with Chorus pedal and Reverb to Overdrive Engl with delay pedal), which is accomplished with the Mongoose. I might also want to switch on/off pedals within a certain patch (e.g. turn on/off the chorus pedal in the clean patch or turn on/off the delay pedal in the overdrive patch). While you can do this with the Stomp I/O by putting it in Stomp mode then holding down switches 1 (down) or 2 (up) for three seconds, it is not as immediate or as reliable as having dedicated switches for each function. Might be overkill if you never need to switch patches within a song, but I like having the ultimate solution. Think of Kryptonite from 3 Doors Down. The verse is clean and the chorus is metal with no space in between. Same for Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. Rather than turn on/off three pedals, I can simply switch patches with no delay in between. I had this same setup with my former rigs (Marshall JMD:1, Hughes and Kettner Switchblade) by adding a MIDI switcher to the built-in amp pedals. Hope that helps!
smcvey

Postby pamajmudar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:16 am

thank you!
pamajmudar

Postby pamajmudar » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:33 pm

maybe this is too basic a question (and if so please direct me to a tutorial) but when performing, do you have presets for each song, or a presets for genre (clean, metal etc)
I know there are downloads for presets for Amplitube available online but all of it is overwhelming at this stage for me.
I realize each song has a slightly different set of pedals and effects and that's why tonebridge makes sense for me as I dont have to guess to find out the original sound.

Maybe this is a topic for the Ultimate Guitar/Tonebridge forum...
appreciate any help
pamajmudar

Postby smcvey » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:28 pm

I play in classic/modern rock cover bands and am able to use fiver basic sounds to cover most tunes - Clean, Crunch, Drive, Metal, and Lead. I have them on my first five MIDI presets (Controlled by the MIDI Mongoose) with some variations one bank up. On each preset I have effects pedals at the ready to be added (Chorus for Clean, Delay for Lead) controlled by the Stomp I/O in Stomp mode. If I need multiple variations in a hurry, I can copy the preset to a bank above the original and access that sound with one bank up switch. I'm all about getting repeatable sounds without tweaking multiple pedals every time I carry the rig to another venue.
smcvey

Postby d10221 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:31 am

Hi,

I'm using a similar setup to @smcvey.
For the same reasons , Hold 2 switches for +1 seconds is not practical for live or creative use
Not to mention going back from LOOPER mode to STOMP mode , PRESET MODE it takes 3 times longer.

My setup is not with an IPAD but with a Mac.
And instead on the Mongoose I use and old "Art x-11 midi foot controller", 5 switches plus up/down (+5/-5) for preset changes
It can only be used for preset change, because it is the only thing the Art switch is sending
Logically this leaves the STOMP-I/O-CONTROLLER for "STOMP MODE" and/or LOOPER control

But..

It seems to be that Amplitube only receives MIDI messages from the STOMP's MIDI in if NOT on Integration mode, when Selecting "Stomp I/O #1" Midi input.

Is that right of I'm missing something here ?

Then ...

When setting MIDI input to "Stomp I/O #1" disables "LIVE MODE" and the looper control.
Requiring to MIDI-map #1, #2 and #3 switches to the loops.
Not #4 because you loose global/play stop.
You can start "looping" with #1, continue with #1, and press-hold to stop it
The same with #2 and #3
But ...
The Switches send Midi change messages, 0 and 127 (press/release) and alternatively +10/0 when press hold,
Amplitube's Looper seems quite confused with that, ...me too :)

I did also tried connecting Amplitube to the "Mac MIDI Bus"
Then redirecting/patching, all hardware interfaces (STOMP and the ART controller with a USB-MIDI adapter) to the "Mac MIDI Bus".
I do that with 3rd party applications/software like "MIDI patchbay", "MidiPipe".
But its the same thing , loosing "Live Mode" and a confusing "Looper mode"

NOTE:
The LOOPER was one of my main excuses to buy the STMOP I/O :)

All in all I'm Still happy,due to the amazing value provided by the bundled AT4 deluxe, and Better I/O quality than my previous iRig UA)
But I thought it was going to be more flexible in the MIDI setup

Now I'm thinking/looking around for "another MIDI foot switch" to control the looper, and leave "STOMP-I/O" always in "STOMP MODE"
But its going to be harder because it has to send control changes (0...127) instead of "Patch/Preset" change.
Software might help with re-mapping MIDI events ... but could make it less reliable and configuration prone.

And what about the "Tuner" ? , candidate for EXT1/2 of the STOMP controller?

Suggestions, Ideas ?
d10221

Postby richardbenkovic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:47 am

Considering getting one of these irig stomp i/o boxes. A few years ago I did use irig HD2 with the ipad version of the software and also the PC version although the PC version sounded much better. Was a pain to carry around the PC to rehearsals though.

I then switched to a Line 6 Fiehawk FX for a couple of years but always had volume levelling issues and also moving from one stomp to the next there was always a momentary delay. So you have to have your clean/crunch/dirty/lead all on the patch with a couple of dirty pedals that allow you to switch up the amount of gain, and in this set up there is no delay.

Are there similar issue with the irig stomp i/o - i.e. delay moving from one patch to the other and also volume leveling complexity? Or is there a universal volume leveller?

Just wondering if anyone else has used both a Line 6 Firehawk and the irig stomp i/o?
richardbenkovic

Previous

Return to Interfaces & Controllers