iRig Keys I/O Doesn't Work with [mod edit] my iPad

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig Keys I/O Doesn't Work with [mod edit] my iPad

Postby mark@cs1.net » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:35 pm

After a two-month wait, I finally received my iRig Keys I/O 49. Yay! Imagine how disappointed I was when I discovered that it doesn't work with either of my iOS devices. It works fine with my PC, so it's not defective, as such.

Does anyone have this working with iOS? And if do, what did you have to do to make it work?

Thanks,
-Mark
mark@cs1.net

Re: iRig Keys I/O Doesn't Work with iOS

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:08 pm

iRig Keys I/O should work with iOS out of the box (at least with the compatible devices listed on the Specs page). Have you reported this issue to IK Support? I'm sure they can help get you up and running.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ArchT » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:39 pm

You need to install the AA batteries came with the unit and to make sure in the back turn the switch over battery instead of USB. It will work just fine!
ArchT

Postby mark@cs1.net » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:02 pm

Yes, I submitted a ticket yesterday, but still no reply. And apparently, there is no phone support.

iPad versions are not very specific, so it's hard to tell if it's supposed to work with mine or not. I have been told that mine is 4th generation. It is the first model with a Retina display, but was not called "Retina", so I think it's actually 3rd gen. Whatever version it is, it works fine with iGrand Piano and SampleTank, so I would have expected it to also work with this controller. To be of any real use to me, it needs to work with my iPad.

I managed to get it working to some extent with my iPhone 5, but even then, it is not as expected. For example, it doesn't work with Garage Band. Being a native app, I would have expected that to work even if nothing else did. I can get sounds out of the app with nothing connected, but as soon as I plug in the the I/O 49, the app starts running super slow, taking portions of a minute to respond to on-screen commands. It also mutes the phone's built-in audio, so I can't hear anything. It actually caused the phone to reboot.

Since I don't normally use my phone for this purpose, the native app is the only one I had. But seeing as the iPhone5 is specifically called out on the compatibility list, I went and downloaded iGrand Piano (free) just as a test. At that point I could see the on-screen keys responding to the I/O 49, but still no sound. I un-plugged the keyboard, and then I could hear sound from the phone, but when I plugged it back in, it got muted again. At that point I got the idea to plug some earbuds into the keyboard output, and at the point I could hear sound for the first time.

But then, I couldn't find any way to control the volume, short of the soft control within the app. And even then, I couldn't get it very loud. So it works. Sort of. But it's so much less intuitive and useful than with your own iRig Keys Pro 37. That keyboard has worked instantly with everything that I have ever plugged it into. It doesn't mute the audio on iOS devices, and the volume control on the keyboard actually works too.

I bought the iRig Keys I/O 49 because I expected that same elegance. So far, I have discovered that it doesn't work at all with the device that I had intended to use it with, and that it won't run on bus power from ANY iOS device. The need for external power really falls short of the simple elegance of the Pro 37. And then it mutes the speakers? Why? All I needed with the Pro 37 was the keyboard, a cable and my iPad. Period. If I wanted to use headphones or external speakers, I certainly could, but I had a very simple option when that's all I needed. And it worked with any app that runs on an iOS device, and there are a great many music learning apps that are a great deal less sophisticated than Garage Band, so if the I/O 49 can't work with Garage Band, I'd say that it has zero chance of working with a multitude of other apps.

Is there a way to put it into a simpler MIDI controller mode? Can it be configured to stop muting the device audio? How can I get a hard control for volume? Can all of these problems be solved with a firmware update? And if so, when? Because honestly, this is a big deal. The built-in mixer and such are cool features, but if it can't function as a basic MIDI keyboard, using the devices and apps that I already own, then it's just not of much use to me.

Please help.
mark@cs1.net

Postby mark@cs1.net » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:08 pm

ArchT wrote:You need to install the AA batteries came with the unit and to make sure in the back turn the switch over battery instead of USB. It will work just fine!

Thanks for the reply, but I discovered that early on - adding batteries did prevent the warning from iOS about the device using too much power, but it didn't make it work with my iPad. The I/O 49 lights up, but it does not pass any MIDI output to the app.
mark@cs1.net

Re: iRig Keys I/O Doesn't Work with [mod edit] my iPad

Postby 8erker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:53 pm

I have the same problem with the sound. Only works with a headphone or external speaker. Any news?
8erker

Postby K008D » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello,

I have the same issue as described by mark@cs1.net no sounds coming out of the iPad when I use garageband or Sampletank app. Any solutions?
K008D

Postby ArchT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:22 pm

Go to your iPad settings - audio out and assign it to your iPad instead of iRig Keys I/O. :P
ArchT

Postby 8erker » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm

@ArchT unfortunately ipad option immediately disappears from the list as soon as I plug in the I/O.. So somehow it overrides it. Really annoying! I didn’t expect having to use a headphone/external speaker every time I use my Keys I/O - hope this can be solved via a firmware update or something!
8erker

Postby mark@cs1.net » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:37 pm

My last post was apparently [mod edit]ed out of existence, so obviously we can't get too "real" in this forum.
mark@cs1.net

Postby mark@cs1.net » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:42 pm

8erker wrote: ...Really annoying! I didn’t expect having to use a headphone/external speaker every time I use my Keys I/O - hope this can be solved via a firmware update or something!

I'm right with you on that one. Seems pretty obvious that there should be a choice. The question is whether IK will even acknowledge that it is an issue. If so, then it shouldn't be too hard to fix, since the "normal" behavior of a MIDI input device would be to input MIDI. Anything else should be optional.
mark@cs1.net

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm

This is not just a MIDI controller, though, so the default would be to utilize the MIDI and audio features of iRig Keys I/O. We can relay your suggestion to the team, but you could ask IK Support in case there is a way to do what you wish of which the users or mods/admins of this forum are not aware.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mark@cs1.net » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Just to give you an update, after all of this time, I finally received a replacement controller from IK Multimedia. The replacement came with batteries, whereas the original did not, so I appreciated that. I was able to make the replacement unit work, after a fashion, with my iPad Pro, but it still doesn't work with my earlier iOS devices, which the specs indicate that it should work with.

And even though it "works", I still can't find any way to route the audio to the iPad's built-in speakers. I even tried it with Synthesia, which provides controls for where the audio should go, and while those controls work perfectly with every other MIDI device that I've ever tried it with, they don't work with the iRig Keys I/O.

It also doesn't work with certain iPad music learning apps, such as NoteWorks, that work fine with the all other MIDI keyboards, including the iRig Keys Pro 37. And again, even when it does work with a given app, I can't find any way to send the audio to the iPad's speakers, which makes it somewhat useless for impromptu practice, because now I have to either drag out some headphones, or worse yet, some powered speakers before I can hear anything. The Keys I/O is technically capable of allowing sound to come out of the iOS device speakers, because audio DOES come out of those speakers during the first few seconds after the keyboard is plugged in, but then, frustratingly, the speakers get cut off, with no apparent option to turn them back on again.

I would comment too that when the Keys I/O powers down for any reason, it sends a nasty (loud) transient spike to whatever sound system is plugged into it. For example, this happens if the iPad goes to sleep. And then if I wake the iPad, I get a message on the screen about the connected device not being valid. About half the time, it doesn't work at all, even with IK apps. I have to un-plug the cable from the keyboard, which then causes another loud pop in the connected speakers. If I'm lucky, it works on the second try, but that's not always true.

And the fact that it doesn't work with certain learning apps would make it useless to anyone who was depending upon those apps. I'm disappointed too that the knob marked "volume" doesn't function as a volume control, even within IK's own apps, such as Sample Tank and iGrand Piano. I eventually figured out how to make it work by using the "alt" function, but why doesn't it just work by default? And why is the "documentation" limited to a 4x4 booklet that contains only arcane sign language? There is literally more content in the booklet that shows all of the other products that IK Multimedia would like to sell. For what it's worth, the included stand is not adequate for a 12.9" iPad Pro. After it fell over the first time, I took the hint and did the rest of my testing with the iPad flat on my desk.

There may be simple solutions for some of these problems, but I certainly can't get it out of the included booklet, nor can I find it online. It's very frustrating because in terms of form factor, the Key I/O 49 seems just about perfect. I really like the feel of the key action, and from what I can tell, the MIDI velocities are good too. If anyone who reads this (before the inevitable "[mod edit]") knows how to fix any of this, I would be most grateful.
mark@cs1.net

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:31 pm

You should have access to manuals in your IK User Area (as well as linked from the iRig Keys I/O product page) that would have more helpful information.

Also, iRig Keys I/O will work as a controller with any app/software that supports using a MIDI controller. If you are having issues with specific apps you should seek support from IK Support and/or the developer of the app(s) with which you are having trouble.

The loud burst is not intended behavior so that is also something with which IK Support would be happy to assist you. They would also be able to assist with the volume control issue you mention.

However, best bet would be to start by perusing the full manuals and then go from there with regard to any issues that IK Support can/should assist with.

Thank you.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Themaroneys » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Same here, no ability to get sounds to come out of the iPad. Is this supposed to be? Has anyone gotten a response from iRig on this?? :x
Themaroneys

Next

Return to Interfaces & Controllers