iRig HD 2 saturated even with gain at low

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig HD 2 saturated even with gain at low

Postby lecerf.fred » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi,

Stuff : iRig HD2, iPad + LesPauls

Even with the lowest gain setting, the light on the iRig switch to red (if I play too vigorously)... I updated the firmware but the situation remains...

No matter the software used (tonestack, AmpliTube, jamup), the issue is coming from the stick...

How to fix this issue ?
lecerf.fred

Re: iRig HD 2 saturated even with gain at low

Postby lecerf.fred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:36 pm

Hello ?

Someone from irig or someone else to reply ?
lecerf.fred

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:48 am

Hi, I'm not sure what would cause this. I see that other IK users have not chimed in either, so I would recommend opening a ticket with IK Support if you have not done so. They can be reached at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-sup ... -hardware/

Please note that this forum is not for direct technical support so if other users do not have ideas or suggestions it is best to work with IK Support.

Thank you.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby JayBayAye8 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 am

You're having a problem with gain staging, obviously. That link is where I learned how to finally get all that under control running through a huge signal chain. But your situation is much simpler. Seeing as how the iRig interface is getting hit with peaks, even with it's gain as low as possible, that means you're going into the interface too hot.

So you either need to come down on the pickup gain on the guitar itself, or if you're running through pedals and THEN hitting the interface, you have a problem there. Somewhere along the line between your guitar, compressor, equalizer, distortion pedal, etc... you're running too hot. The easiest fix would be to reduce the gain the last pedal in your signal path, or with no pedals then to turn the volume knob down on the guitar.

The iRig works fine, is my point. It's a user error issue related to recording levels.
JayBayAye8

Postby chrishales47 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:47 am

It's April 2020 and I'm getting this exact issue with my new iRig HD 2. Here's the sequence:

1. Open new iRig HD 2, register, and connect to iPad (5th Gen.)
2. Can't get a clean sound on any amp, any volume in Amplitube, all overdriven distorted, clipping red with any normal playing at all.
3. Reduce gain dial on iRig HD 2 to way low. Hit power chord with moderate stroke. Instant red on the LED and it's not even momentary.
4. Reduce gain dial on iRig HD 2 to what should be bottom / zero. Hit power chord with medium stroke, LED still lights red! Dang it.
5. Google searches, forum searches here, many threads with people having similar problems.
6. Read about and download IK Multimedia firmware upgrader.
7. Plug in iRig HD 2 to computer and run firmware upgrade, upgrader says it was successful.
8. Test iRig HD 2 again on both iPad 5th Gen. and iPhone XR. SAME PROBLEM. Still. Dang it!
9. Fiddle with guitar volume while viewing Amplitube settings display:
a. If guitar volume knob at 10, LED goes red when playing, no matter where iRig HD 2 gain dial is set. (and "Level In" option on settings is faded out with no manipulation available on iPhone or iPad, because supposedly I can now control this with iRig HD 2 gain knob? But it doesnt seem to be working).
b. Not until I put the guitar volume knob all the way down to 3 am I able to play semi-normally without clipping red, but give a Pete Townshend hit and I can still see red. At this point my tone sounds crap at 3 on the guitar, relative to normal.

I only got this iRig HD 2 because my old first gen iRig started losing stereo sound, the 3.5 mm prong out was wearing down. Now the HD 2 is so much worse and cost so much more. I'll wait for my support ticket but man, does anyone have suggestions here?

Signal chain: Aria Pro Les Paul copy (no active pickups!!) --> new cable that works fine with iRig and ordinary amp / pedal chain --> iRig HD 2 --> iPad 5th Gen or iPhone XR, same problem with both. Yes, same problem no matter which pickup I'm using on guitar or which Apple product I'm using.

-Frustrated in Quarantine
chrishales47

Return to Interfaces & Controllers