Stealth pedal doesn't work as midi

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Re: Stealth pedal doesn't work as midi

Postby beskow » Wed May 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Though not officially supported, I managed to get StealthPedal working successfully on El Capitan (OSX 10.11.6). Here's what I did:

1. Make sure you run StealthPedal MIDI Control version 1.1.1. I still can't see that version in my Downloads area (there is only version 1.1, which doesn't work). I finally got it emailed from support (after several mails, explaining that I know it's a discontinued product, but still wanted the latest driver for it, ...). Also, make sure AppNap is disabled for it.

2. Disable System Integrity Protection for Kernel extensions, by

a. Boot up in recovery mode (Cmd+R and power button).
b. Open a Terminal and type: sudo csrutil enable --without kext
c. Reboot

The StealthPedal should now work as a general Midi device in Amplitube 4 and other apps.

Good luck!

/Björn
beskow

Postby marcaz » Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 am

[mod redacted: Please review the rules before posting]

Björn... Thanks for that. I understand SIP and disabling it so you can use software from unlicensed developers. I would also expect that the StealthPedal should work under MacOS 10.12 as the handling of kernel extensions didn't change. But this is not an issue for me as I am happy to leave my 'studio' iMac at 10.10 anyway. Maybe when I upgrade it things will change. Its a 2009 20" but I do have a 2013 21.5" with a dead PSU I am repairing that might end up in that position. And yes, I have SP MIDI Control 1.1.1 now but, as you have said, only after directly asking support for it. Why it is not available in the user area is beyond me.

So guys, your input has been quite helpful and here's my latest news on this saga...

I've got it working!

1) Erased the drive (yes, I backed everything up first)
2) Installed a fresh 10.10.5
3) Installed SP MIDI Control 1.1.1

IT WORKS! (SP MIDI Control shows signal and the control light stays lit)

4) Installed AT 4.0.2 - no SP MIDI signal :(
5) Installed AT 3.1 - SP MIDI works

I then went out for a few hours and came back to a 'sleeping' computer. After waking it, the MIDI had failed again. I am so annoyed by this. Then I recalled someone (within this thread) talking about the need to keep the SP MIDI Control app window front-most. I launched AT 4.0.2 again and assigned the SP to a stomp. I then brought the SP MIDI Control app to the front and what do you know, it's working. As soon as the app is sent behind another window, it stops working in AT4 however I can still see activity in the SP MIDI Control app. Strange.

I don't know what the problem was to start with but I do know I have a lot of software re-installation to do now. I'll be very careful and test the SP after each item is installed, just in case the issue was another piece of software conflicting with the SP control app. Also worth noting that I haven't tested this from with a DAW, only stand-alone, so I'm yet to find out if the plug-in is going to play nicely as well.

Stay tuned!
marcaz

Postby marcaz » Thu May 17, 2018 8:26 am

And it's broken again!

After installing all of my music software, it was still working. Just restarted the computer and bang, no SP MIDI. Obviously there's something among my software that SP MIDI Control doesn't play nicely with. I thought I was being careful this time but I guess it has to be a case of install software - restart - test, over and over again.

After about six weeks of this, and a brief moment of joy/relief earlier today, it's back to the drawing board. This has now become my worst software/hardware nightmare... EVER!

[mod redacted]
marcaz

Postby nigel.southward » Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 pm

Hi Marcaz,

[mod redaction: Please review the rules]

I'm surprised your midi controller S/W (1.1.1) doesn't work with other versions of Amplitube?

Initially I got my midi controller S/W (1.1.1) working with amplitube ver3.6, then I moved on to 4.3, so there's no reason why you can't. Are your other S/W installs related to your apple OS by any chance? That might explain why there's a conflict?

You might not think this, however it sounds like your making progress.......You might have to prioritise your installs when you find the culprit, good Luck!
nigel.southward

Postby beskow » Thu May 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Marcaz,

If you need to have the SP Midi Control window in the foreground for it to work, then I think you haven’t disabled App Nap for the Midi Control app. Either disable App Nap specificly for the Midi Control app, or globally (see e.g. http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable- ... -mac-os-x/).

/Björn
beskow

Previous

Return to Interfaces & Controllers