iRig HD 2 or iRig Pro IO (usage with Hifi-Receiver and Amp)

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig HD 2 or iRig Pro IO (usage with Hifi-Receiver and Amp)

Postby joergzdarsky » Mon May 01, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi all,

I am into playing U2 songs on guitar and my main device is an Axe FXII/M-Audio Profire Setup. However I am looking for an additional mobile device, so maybe you can help me selection the right device for my usecase. I have a small VOX Mini 3 G2 in my daugthers room and an Onkyo Hifi Receiver in my living room.

I was thinking about getting either an iRig 2 HD or an iRig Pro IO to use it with an iPad or laptop. The iRig Pro IO seems newer and I like the possibility to connect an MIDI device to it (although I dont have a need for it yet) and more important it seems to come with a bigger AmpliTupe Software package for usage on both PC and iOS than iRig 2 HD does.

However it seems the iRig Pro IO seems lacking an Amp Audio Out option, so it looks like a CON to me as I would like to use it on the VOX Mini 3 G2 as mentioned before. The VOX has also an Audio In which I could hook to the iRig Pro's headphone out, but I am not sure if this is a good way to go for. Latest when I'd like to use the iRig with a few friends hooking it to some other bigger amp in a practice room, the lack of an Amp Audio Out could become an issue.

So looks I better should go for an iRig HD 2, altough it seems older and comes with the smaller software package? Would you agree, or am I missing something eventually?
joergzdarsky

Re: iRig HD 2 or iRig Pro IO (usage with Hifi-Receiver and A

Postby buleriachk » Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I have an iRig Pro I/O, and the iPad Camera Connection Kit will power/charge the iPad/iPhone and still run guitar software, so you can use a battery brick with it, since most have USB power out. It lacks an amp output, but you can purchase a 1/8" male to 1/4" female adapter for a guitar cable or wireless. Plus, the I/O pro will work with batteries, which will work just as well (and spare AA batteries are easy to carry, anyway).

I think anyway; I'm going to run some more tests, and I have a HD arriving from Amazon, but if the adapter works, I won't need it (I think)

Update:
I've been playing with the IRig Pro I/O with a wireless (xVive), and have found that using batteries with it is acceptable if one does not use the Camera Kit. I used a1 1/8" adapter to go out of the iPhone, instead of the one on the iRig Pro, since if you use those headphones, you apparently pickup the mic on the iPhone....

Also, had to use the xVive on its battery, because hooking it up to power created unacceptable noise (which is why IK sells their precious power adapter, I guess...…

The gain controls are kind of finicky in this mode of operation, one has to play with them a bit. I also have an old iRig HD (not an HD 2) that I'm going t test...

Just tested the old IRig HD, and it works with the CCKit, the only issue is again, you have to use the iPad jack for the output adapter to 1/4"; Also unacceptable noise with the xVive connected to its charging cable, but no noise otherwise...

Will test the iRig HD 2 when it arrives ..
buleriachk

Re: iRig HD 2 or iRig Pro IO (usage with Hifi-Receiver and A

Postby redroc.k » Sat May 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi, I bought the iRig HD 2 specifically to be able to go from my iPad to either an amp (via effect return) or to a soundboard (via a direct box) and it works well. I also put an Ernie Ball volume pedal "after" the HD 2 to control volume.

I haven't tried to connect it to a Receiver, but that should work, you may or may not like the sound you get -- I'll be interested to know how that turns out.

The HD 2 gets it power from the lightning connection. I've seen no problem with the HD 2 draining battery from the iPad. I suppose it needs less power than the Pro IO since it isn't trying to provide power for a microphone.

And, I received an email yesterday saying that the HD 2 is on sale for $69.99 this weekend.

(all that being said - I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of an iRig Stomp IO)
redroc.k

Return to Interfaces & Controllers