9VDC Power Supply for iRig Pro Duo

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

9VDC Power Supply for iRig Pro Duo

Postby DoctorZu » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:09 pm

I've searched the site and forum for information on a 9VDC power supply for the iRig Pro Duo and was really surprised to see that IK doesn't actually sell one. The specifications indicate a negative tip 9VDC supply requirement, but they don't indicate what the interface size is. Will a 5.5 mm x 2.5 mm design work? 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm? What about this one that is currently being sold on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Negative-Regulat ... gative+tip

I think that it would be great if IK sold an appropriate power supply directly instead of requiring customers to hunt around for one on their own. Since cheap power supplies can often introduce noise into audio equipment, it would be great to know that the supply I'm buying was fully tested for compatibility.

Thanks for your help!
DoctorZu

Re: 9VDC Power Supply for iRig Pro Duo

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:18 pm

I will relay your suggestion to sell a power supply directly and to publish the adapter connector size. Power supplies like those meant for guitar multifx pedals will work with iRig Pro DUO if they are 500mA up, positive outside, 9VDC. I believe the tip size there is 2.1mm.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby DoctorZu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Peter. I purchased the power supply referenced in my original post. Either tip seems to work fine.

Thanks again!
DoctorZu

Postby jiribroz85 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:17 am

Hi, I’m even more surprised that there is no better explanation (for dummies) about the power adapter than “9V, 500mA, positive outside”, I went to bestbuy, ask specially for someone who understand electronics, there were two guys and they couldn’t help me if the adapter I picked is the right one! I mean, I could figure out Voltage and Ampers, it’s just numbers, but positive/negative polarity, I’m not an electrician :/ Anyway, in the manual for adapter they write “if your device has negative polarity, do not use this adapter to power your device” and they said that most of devices have positive polarity (I showed them the specification - positive outside), so anyway I believed them and bought it for $35 and of course it doesn’t work and I’m afraid that I did some damage. Now I finally realized that if it’s written “positive outside”, it probably means that iRig has negative polarity but omg, when I saw it for first time, I had no idea about polarities (I had to educate myself on wikipedia), how it needs to match, it meant nothing to me.. So, am I right now that iRig has negative polarity? Sorry but I just think it should be easier to explain how to buy right adapter if you don’t sell one. Thank you.
jiribroz85

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:19 pm

A music retailer would understand these terms as these would be familiar to those who sell or are otherwise familiar with power supplies for music gear like guitar pedals and similar.

IK Support is also always willing and able to provide the assistance you may need.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bill.wilkinson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm having the same issue/question. I ordered the suggested power supply from Amazon and it didn't work...(9V 0.5A (+))...just tried it with 9V 0.5A (-) it worked... so yes, I believe it should be negative polarity...
bill.wilkinson

Postby pgoodwin1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:15 pm

Where do you guys find the spec for what the iRig Pro Duo Power requirements were?
pgoodwin1

Postby pgoodwin1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 pm

pgoodwin1 wrote:Where do you guys find the spec for what the iRig Pro Duo Power requirements were?

I found it in the FAQ section searching on power
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.p ... word=Power

9V, 500 mA, positive sleeve (which means negative tip- or center socket).

They also stated: Most basic guitar fx pedal adapters are perfect for this and easily found online or in your local music store.

I do agree with Dr Zu about IK Multimedia proving their own power adapter, and that cheap ones could potentially introduce noise into the system - where a battery wouldn’t. Some power adapters are non-switching simple Transformer/Rectifier/Filter types with no regulation. Others have regulators and have the potential for high frequency switching noise pollution into the iRig Pro Duo. I don’t know whether the iRig Pro Duo is more susceptible (has less noise rejection capability) at 120 Hz ripple for the simple unregulated supplies, or more susceptible to high frequency switching noise. Picking the right one isn’t all that simple of a task. I’m an electrical engineer and I can assure you it’s not a trivial issue if you want the really cleanest sound the device can deliver.
pgoodwin1

Postby Scott_scars » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi there! If anybody out there could please direct me to a power supply that works for the iRig Pro Duo I/O, I would be eternally grateful. I am a guitar player, so I use pedals and have adapters for them and all three of them did not work. The last one was even the exact same specs as required; 9V, 500 mA, positive sleeve, but did not work. Could someone please direct me to a power supply that works? Thank you!
Scott_scars

Return to Interfaces & Controllers