iRig HD. Does it always distort/ overdrive?

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

iRig HD. Does it always distort/ overdrive?

Postby studiomigo » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi guys

Just bought the iRig HD (instead of Apogee) to use mostly with iOS devices.
While using the iPhone and AmpliTube (4 i think) I cannot find a way to get a clean sound. It seems like there is always some degree of distortion.
1. Is this normal?
2. Is there a basic configuration to get a clean output?
there are so many variables that I don't know which one might cause distorted sound. Can be the output level on the iRig HD, AmpliTube In/Out control, Amplifier Gain/Volume and the phone volume.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Micha
studiomigo

Re: iRig HD. Does it always distort/ overdrive?

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:01 am

It should not distort, as it is a pristine digital interface. Make sure you have the gain on the iRig HD itself set correctly as a first priority. Best signal in = best sound in your apps, of course.

Next, input level in your app should not be clipping either.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby studiomigo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:11 am

Thanks.
I will give it another try. so far pretty disappointing.
studiomigo

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:47 am

studiomigo wrote:Thanks.
I will give it another try. so far pretty disappointing.

Again, that's not the typical experience or sound. If these suggestions don't get you where you need to be, I know support will be able to figure out what's going on directly.
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby shdrmr » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:04 am

I am also facing the same issue. the clean signal is always distorted with the lowest gain setting in the irig and almost no gain in the amp sim applications. I just bought it two days back and it is so disappointing. this seems to be a recurring problem to you guys but you seem to have not fixed it. Allmost every post directs the person to ask the support. then what is the point of the forum in the first place??

Anyways, apart from annoying piece of crap distorted signal, it works fine. Again to recap this is my setup.

New Cable,
New Guitar - works very well with my focusrite in my desktop
Amp Sim - Amplitube and Positive grid bias.
Iphone 5s

For the love of god, please suggest a solution or i will have to return this crap
shdrmr

Postby Peter_IK » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:44 am

This forum is not meant to replace technical support, so that is why it is best to report issues to the support team who are in place to assist you with technical issues. The best users, mods, and admins on this forum can offer are suggestions that are not a replacement for technical support. A suggestion I can offer is to make sure you have the latest firmware update on the iRig HD unit. If you do, or if you update and still have the issue, you would need to work with IK Support who can troubleshoot with you directly and fix your issue.

Note that the first part of the forum rules linked at the top of each page states:

This forum is not intended for direct company technical support. For support requests, please visit the IK Multimedia web site.

This is not meant to hinder you, it is actually quite the opposite: to make sure your issue is handled by those who are best-equipped to do so and in a trackable support system that has benefits for the support team and their ability to serve current and future customers.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby matteena » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:47 am

I was having this issue with Amplitube 4 in Windows, change the buffer size to 512 in the audio settings and it seems to work now
matteena

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:50 pm

You should use the iRig ASIO driver, and should typically be able to achieve below 512 buffer size. Please contact support if you are not able to.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Interfaces & Controllers