iRig Stomp I/O Users Topic - Experiences and Questions

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

Re: iRig Stomp I/O Users Topic - Experiences and Questions

Postby mgartner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 pm

PC. Surface pro 3. i5. I’ll be playing and every few minutes, the sound drops out for a few seconds and then comes back. The tablet screen doesn’t change or flicker. The cou meter doesn’t spike. Sleep mode is disabled.
mgartner

Postby kouc52 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm

mgartner wrote:What causes the stomp io to drop out for a few seconds every couple of minutes?

I have the same issue. Update 6.1 is out... Hopefully it will fix this issue.
kouc52

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 pm

It would be best to also report your issue to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support so they can troubleshoot and assist directly.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby mgartner » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

The problem still exists with 4.6.1
mgartner

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:25 pm

mgartner wrote:The problem still exists with 4.6.1

I would assume so as the update was a small update and I assume your issue was only reported to tech support a short time ago. Please reply to your ticket for any status on the issue you are having and the team will be happy to provide that information and help you fix the issue if it is not a global issue/bug. Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby peteroyle » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:14 am

Hi,

I’ve read everything there is to read about the wah “virtual switch” in these forums and the manual and I’m still a bit confused. Up until now I have assumed that the “virtual switch” (whatever that might be) was for turning the Wah on and off, and the rocking motion was for controlling the actual wah effect. That is, that you could use the Wah pedal and virtual switch together, simultaneously. If that’s the case, then I can’t for the life of me figure out how to do that. I can’t figure out how to “press down hard” on the wah pedal in any meaningful kind of way that causes anything to happen.

Then I realised maybe I had the wrong idea. So I loaded up a preset WITHOUT a wah, and manually assigned the bypass switch of a regular stomp box (a Reverb pedal) to the wah pedal by touch-and-holding the Reverb pedal’s on-screen switch until the “assign control” message popped up, then I rocked the Wah pedal back and forth. This way I was able to control the on/off status of the Reverb pedal by rocking the Wah pedal all the way forward (on) and back (off). So I figured that’s what’s mean by “virtual switch”?

Can someone who knows please clarify for me which interpretation is correct (paragraph 1 or 2)? Much appreciated!
peteroyle

Postby redroc.k » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi peteroyle,

First, you should definitely be able to press down on the pedal and make the red indicator light go on and off. It does take a good amount of pressure. I don't think it works well if you have the Stomp I/O sitting on a table, but putting the Stomp I/O on the floor and pressing the pedal with your foot, that should definitely work. If yours doesn't, then it's a good time to contact the support team.

As for paragraph 1 and paragraph 2, how's this for an answer - both are correct!

The "virtual switch" and the rocking pedal are both just sending MIDI messages to the software. (You didn't mention what software you are using, either Amplitube or something else like BIAS FX, but either way the software is just receiving MIDI messages from the Stomp I/O)

Take a look in the manual at section "3.4 Virtual Pedal".

When you press hard on the pedal and turn the red light off and on, that sends CC#26.

When you rock the pedal back and forth, that sends CC#11.

So, for our paragraph 1 scenario, pressing the pedal and turning the red light off and on, sends CC#26 to the software and turns the wah off and on. And, rocking the pedal back and forth sends CC#11 to the software and rocks the wah back and forth.

But, as you found in paragraph 2, you can assign those MIDI messages to other things beside the wah. In the software you assigned the pedal back and forth to the reverb pedal, (maybe the reverb level knob on the pedal?) and now the Stomp I/O still sends CC#11 to the software, and the software now changes the reverb.
redroc.k

Postby jeepbuff » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:53 am

Getting terrible popping and crackling when I use the stomp i/o interface. Have not been able to solve the problem in a couple weeks. I go back to the audiobox for my interface and the cracks and pops are gone. I took the buffer size all the way up to 1024 and still no good with the stomp i/o. Do I need usb 3.0 ports or something to use this reliably as an audio interface? I have usb 2.0 and thats what the audiobox calls for. Maybe this is my problem? I'm pulling my hair out. :(
jeepbuff

Postby kouc52 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:30 am

Bones123 wrote:Getting terrible popping and crackling when I use the stomp i/o interface. Have not been able to solve the problem in a couple weeks. I go back to the audiobox for my interface and the cracks and pops are gone. I took the buffer size all the way up to 1024 and still no good with the stomp i/o. Do I need usb 3.0 ports or something to use this reliably as an audio interface? I have usb 2.0 and thats what the audiobox calls for. Maybe this is my problem? I'm pulling my hair out. :(

No your not alone...I haven't gotten my stomp working In over 2 months. I actually had very good sound when it worked however it drops out and then it is royal pain to reset everything to see if it will come back. Asio4all version are junk for windows. Ik is better of flashing the stomp IO and pushing out there own dedicated drivers. Till then I am stuck running Guitar rig 5 which is not as good as amplitube in my opinion. I have been working with support but neither of us can figure out the issue. Definitely not plug and play currently for windows.
kouc52

Postby jeepbuff » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 am

kouc52 wrote:
Bones123 wrote:Getting terrible popping and crackling when I use the stomp i/o interface. Have not been able to solve the problem in a couple weeks. I go back to the audiobox for my interface and the cracks and pops are gone. I took the buffer size all the way up to 1024 and still no good with the stomp i/o. Do I need usb 3.0 ports or something to use this reliably as an audio interface? I have usb 2.0 and thats what the audiobox calls for. Maybe this is my problem? I'm pulling my hair out. :(

No your not alone...I haven't gotten my stomp working In over 2 months. I actually had very good sound when it worked however it drops out and then it is royal pain to reset everything to see if it will come back. Asio4all version are junk for windows. Ik is better of flashing the stomp IO and pushing out there own dedicated drivers. Till then I am stuck running Guitar rig 5 which is not as good as amplitube in my opinion. I have been working with support but neither of us can figure out the issue. Definitely not plug and play currently for windows.

I have found something that may be a problem, I'm not sure. I think I read somewhere that the sample rate in asio control panel should be the same as the sample rate in windows control panel/sounds. The iRig Stomp i/o in asio control panel is 32.96kHz 24 bits but in the windows control panel/sounds, there is no such sample rate for the iRig Stomp i/o. As for my audiobox, in the asio control panel it is 44.1kHz 24 bits and the same in the windows control panel/sounds.

Kind of weird that the stomp i/o is at 32.96kHz in asio control panel. Is it like that for everyone?
jeepbuff

Postby kouc52 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:44 am

Bones123 wrote:
kouc52 wrote:

I have found something that may be a problem, I'm not sure. I think I read somewhere that the sample rate in asio control panel should be the same as the sample rate in windows control panel/sounds. The iRig Stomp i/o in asio control panel is 32.96kHz 24 bits but in the windows control panel/sounds, there is no such sample rate for the iRig Stomp i/o. As for my audiobox, in the asio control panel it is 44.1kHz 24 bits and the same in the windows control panel/sounds.

Kind of weird that the stomp i/o is at 32.96kHz in asio control panel. Is it like that for everyone?

Great catch that might be the issue.
I can use guitar rig 5 at 192 at 256...it hogs about 50-75% of CPU power but it is stable with zero sound issue with a Steinberg UR-RT2 Audio Interface. I don't anyone that set set up their asio under 44k. Matching the khz in windows with asio is a must.
kouc52

Postby jeepbuff » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:36 am

What is the sample rate of your stomp i/o in the asio control panel?
jeepbuff

Postby peteroyle » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:26 am

redroc.k wrote:First, you should definitely be able to press down on the pedal and make the red indicator light go on and off. It does take a good amount of pressure. I don't think it works well if you have the Stomp I/O sitting on a table, but putting the Stomp I/O on the floor and pressing the pedal with your foot, that should definitely work. If yours doesn't, then it's a good time to contact the support team.

Thanks for the detailed response redroc.k! I had tried pushing down on the pedal with my foot but was scared of pushing too hard. Turns out I have to stand up and put most of my hefty 60kg of weight into it for it to work ... most of the time ;) . Something I’ll just have to get used to. This is the second unit I’ve used and the first one seemed to be the same so I’m sure it’s just a problem with technique - something I’ll get used to in time.

I’m using Amplitube btw, sometimes on a MBP but mostly through my iPad pro.

redroc.k wrote:In the software you assigned the pedal back and forth to the reverb pedal, (maybe the reverb level knob on the pedal?)

No, it was definitely the bypass switch that I manage to assign the rocker to, out of interest :). At about the halfway mark on the rocker the Reverb bypass switch goes from off to on. Not sure how useful that is but it worked. Thanks again.
peteroyle

Postby jeepbuff » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:30 pm

kouc52 wrote:

After pulling my hair out and trying everything imaginable to cure the crackling and popping sounds when using the iRig Stomp IO as my input, installing asio4all and setting it up, uninstalling it, re-installing it, disabling other audio sources, re-enabling, setting buffer sizes, moving my equipment to the other side of the room, the list goes on and on, I found what is working for me because i was just tired of it, i uninstalled asio4all again and this time, i didn't re-install it.

I opened the windows control panel/sound and made sure under the playback tab that my "SPEAKERS Audiobox usb" was enabled and in the ready state (i'm surprised it was still there since i uninstalled asio4all) but it was. Then under the Recording tab, i have "Microphone 2 - iRig Stomp I/O" as my default device with everything else in there disabled and then I opened AT4, set the technology to windows audio(exclusive mode), input device to "Microphone (2 - iRig Stomp IO), left channel >Input channel 1", right channel blank, output device "Speakers Audiobox usb"(since i'm using that for my output, left channel "ouput channel 1", right channel "output channel 2", buffer size 512 and of course "MIDIIN2 iRig Stimp IO" for the midi input. This is all in the 4.6.1 AT4. My problems are gone when using the iRig Stomp IO as my input. I hear a tiny little pop once in a blue moon. I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it but if i want to use the stomp io input, this is by far the best way i have found. Then I restarted my computer and opened AT4 and went to play and the guitar sounded all spacey or sitar or something. All I did to correct that was switch to 1024 buffer size and then right back to 512 and it was good.

Of course I can re-install asio4all and use my audiobox for both the input and output with no problems but for some reason, asio4all is not working good with my iRig Stomp IO.
jeepbuff

Postby kouc52 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Bones123 wrote:
kouc52 wrote:

After pulling my hair out and trying everything imaginable to cure the crackling and popping sounds when using the iRig Stomp IO as my input, installing asio4all and setting it up, uninstalling it, re-installing it, disabling other audio sources, re-enabling, setting buffer sizes, moving my equipment to the other side of the room, the list goes on and on, I found what is working for me because i was just tired of it, i uninstalled asio4all again and this time, i didn't re-install it.

I opened the windows control panel/sound and made sure under the playback tab that my "SPEAKERS Audiobox usb" was enabled and in the ready state (i'm surprised it was still there since i uninstalled asio4all) but it was. Then under the Recording tab, i have "Microphone 2 - iRig Stomp I/O" as my default device with everything else in there disabled and then I opened AT4, set the technology to windows audio(exclusive mode), input device to "Microphone (2 - iRig Stomp IO), left channel >Input channel 1", right channel blank, output device "Speakers Audiobox usb"(since i'm using that for my output, left channel "ouput channel 1", right channel "output channel 2", buffer size 512 and of course "MIDIIN2 iRig Stimp IO" for the midi input. This is all in the 4.6.1 AT4. My problems are gone when using the iRig Stomp IO as my input. I hear a tiny little pop once in a blue moon. I'm not sure this is the right way to go about it but if i want to use the stomp io input, this is by far the best way i have found. Then I restarted my computer and opened AT4 and went to play and the guitar sounded all spacey or sitar or something. All I did to correct that was switch to 1024 buffer size and then right back to 512 and it was good.

Of course I can re-install asio4all and use my audiobox for both the input and output with no problems but for some reason, asio4all is not working good with my iRig Stomp IO.

I agree the asio4all drivers are junk
kouc52

PreviousNext

Return to Interfaces & Controllers