AXE I/O harsh compared to Focusrite 2i2 1st Gen

AXE I/O, AXE I/O Solo, iRig Stomp I/O, Guitar and Bass Audio Interfaces/Controllers, iRig Keys I/O and the iRig Keys family of MIDI controllers

AXE I/O harsh compared to Focusrite 2i2 1st Gen

Postby masterings » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:36 pm

Hello, it's my first post. I just bought AXE I/O with AT 5 MAX and I'm comparing it with my Focusrite 2i2 1st Gen, I prefer Focusrite but I can't explain why.

On the AXE I/O I tried to modify the z-tone, the JFET, Pure, passive etc but without success. I mainly play Slash presets and on the Focusrite I hear more attack and more Slash like.

My Gear
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul with Alnico Pros II Slash Signature and AXE is making my pickups sound different from Slash's tone, with any z-tone position. My benchmark is my real 100W Marshall head and with Focusrite I'm really close to that sound, on the AXE it feels a bit like "fake" and "artifact".

My setup for both audio cards is ASIO drivers, both 16 bit. Can someone help me to debug this?

Many thanks
Alex from Italy.
masterings

Re: AXE I/O harsh compared to Focusrite 2i2 1st Gen

Postby Ryan_IK » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:50 pm

Hey masterings,

Thanks for posting! That experience doesn't sound quite right and we'd be more than happy to help.

When you can, shoot me a PM with an audio example of what you're hearing in comparison and I'll check with the team. I'll take a look to see what I find, but I'll also help get you in touch with the support team for the best help here.

In the meantime, I'll leave the discussion open to any user settings. I know we have quite a lot of AXE I/O users and some might have some specific tips for this kind of sound.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Re: AXE I/O harsh compared to Focusrite 2i2 1st Gen

Postby Ramses2ii » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:27 pm

masterings wrote:
My setup for both audio cards is ASIO drivers, both 16 bit. Can someone help me to debug this?

Which ASIO drivers are you using? There are AXE I/O's own ASIOs, then FocusRite has it's own. I've also downloaded and tried ASIO4ALL drivers, but I find AXE drivers to work best with AXE and FocusRite with it's own FocusRite.
AXE I/O - AmpliTube 5 MAX - Tonex MAX - Behringer FCB1010+EurekaPROM3.2
Ramses2ii

Return to Interfaces & Controllers