Why there is no amplitube for linux?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Why there is no amplitube for linux?

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:26 pm

That's one example, only a small portion of what we do and those devices were made mainly for mobile devices. Adding support for Windows was due to user requests, all our software and full audio interfaces like AXE I/O were Windows compatible from the start.

It is also not IK but Microsoft that would make it necessary for full drivers as our iRig devices have always been class compliant and macOS/OS X has always had great plug and play support for class compliant audio interfaces so it is Apple that is ahead of Microsoft in that way, not IK having anything "lagging behind".
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby n.gewrgiou » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:31 pm

I've also decided to switch to linux after a great many years, so, yeah, I am a bit disappointed but so be it. Carry on the good work.
n.gewrgiou

Postby uldarik » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:50 pm

Sorry for reviving this thread again.

I used amplitube 4 on linux with wine with no problem at all since a few years now. Amplitube 5 work as well but the new licensing tool just dont work on wine... i have to use the old one. It would be nice to have support for Wine at least. Just making sure that the windows version is compatible with wine libraries(If it work on XP it work on wine) and please do not use power shell its available on linux but not on wine !!!!.

Linux for desktop adoption is on the raise. Thanks to steam, windows 11 and the pandemic we reached 1% of the desktop market lately wich is a lot and its growing faster and faster. Linux user pay for their software... it would be nice to consider us now that there is a market. By the way this is a thread about linux not windows :D ....

Keep making your unbeatable pluggins. I will keep buying more if it work on wine.

PS Once you start using Jack Audio you cant go back. its a very powerful audio connection tool .some studios are switching to linux just for that.

Thank you !
uldarik

Postby msseufert69 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:50 pm

I'm not sorry for my forum necromancy because the question is still relevant, regardless of the date. In my humble opinion it's far better to have 1 old thread on a specific subject than to have 34565436546 dead threads on the exact same subject asking the exact same question.

At any rate:

If AmpliTube is fully supported on Mac OS, then you are not far at all from supporting Linux since traditionally nearly all Linux software projects also make Mac/BSD ports as well. KDE /Plasma is a perfect example of this. The exact same code base is used on both BSD and Linux. This is because both Linux and Mac, a BSD family member, are POSIX compliant, Unix-like Operating systems that have far more in common than not. Unlike Windows which is entirely different.

If it's licensing you are worried about, don't. Since AmpliTube was never GPL, that doesn't need to change distribution strategy, nor open it's source code. You can release it as binary blob only though systems like snap packages just like many other proprietary software vendors already do.
msseufert69

Postby pipe2null » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:50 am

I think it would be interesting to offer support on Chrome OS through Ubuntu/Debian(developer mode) or Android. Cross compiling mostly works these days but there are some sticky bits especially with GUI apps so I get it. As a developer I've worked mostly on Windows or Mac workstations but my new company is all Chrome OS and frankly I was expecting a bad experience but it has been delightful, the least painful setup I've ever had. My kids also only use Chrome OS at school so this may be a viable market. If done through Ubuntu/Debian this would also allow for an unsupported version on any Debian style distro yet again expanding the market. I have another co-worker who also uses amplitube but we both use it from our macs and frankly with Reaper support on linux and my mixer working with linux, if I can find the right plugins this may be my last mac.
pipe2null

Previous

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling