Tonex recommended input level?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex recommended input level?

Postby dbw1 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:45 pm

Hey there! I’m curious what the recommended input level is for IK produced Tonex stuff is? For example, I just learned that my Tone King _ amp likes -12db. In my case that means having my preamp turned down all the way on my AXE IO. This setting has made me love the sound of this amp as previously I was unknowingly overdriving the input. I’m finding that with all these Tonex captures that IK puts out that some sound way better when I mirror this super low input level while many others seem to want a crazy high input level (or somewhere in between). On a few captures I found myself cranking the preamp on the AXE to around -4 as well as boosting the input of the plugin. I’m assuming that there’s a giant inconsistency within the plugin ecosystem so one just has to experiment on a capture by capture basis. Thanks for any insight into this:-)
dbw1

Re: Tonex recommended input level?

Postby Matthias Mueller » Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:05 pm

Hi
cant really help with your question.

The only thing i know is this video (if you dont know it already)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKxZkNa2A7o

In his case its better when he adds 12db. But i dont think 12db is a magic number here, its just that boosting 12db with his interface (input at zero on the Interface) brings him to around 0dBu/1V. Maybe Tonex wants to see this as input. But its only a guess....

However, this still doesn't take in account that the captures are also taken with different settings and when there is no information about this.... then yeah... only thing one can do is to guess and experiment....
Matthias Mueller

Postby feeney2 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 am

In the video you shared battleship game(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKxZkNa2A7o), the user mentions that adding 12dB of gain with his interface brings him to around 0dBu/1V, which may be the desired input level for Tonex. However, there is no information about the different settings used for the captures. Considering this, have you experimented with different gain settings on your interface to find the optimal input level for Amplitube 5?
feeney2

Postby Matthias Mueller » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:43 pm

feeney2 wrote:Considering this, have you experimented with different gain settings on your interface to find the optimal input level for Amplitube 5?

It seems that Amplitube 5 doesn't have a "optimal input level". It seems that each Amp Model is calibratet differently and therefore each model needs different input gain.

I have not experimented with the input gain on the interface, since this would be pretty pointless for several reasons. But i fiddled around with the input gain in the software and tried to match each model, so that it reacts as close as possible to the real amp.

Its not the perfect solution but since we don't get any accurate information from IK Multimedia,... i think it's the best we can do for now.

Here is a video i made for this problem in Amplitube 5:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im82KE-UHTA
Matthias Mueller

Postby Apothekerry2 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:00 pm

I've been having a difficult time with this, as well. I do know what a lot of these amps sound like, but it seems like I am having to adjust the input level on my I/O between the different model captures (the official ones. I expect some variety on the ToneNet captures). Yet, the in-app "Audio Demo" selections always seem to hit the models correctly. So something is going on. Maybe IK (and frankly every other Amp Sim maker) needs to include a simple measure-and-calibrate input feature for the App/Plug-in, where you strum as loud as possible with the guitar volume up, and the software adjusts the input volume to optimal levels. Yes, you'd have to re-measure if/when you switched guitars, but that seems like a small matter.
Apothekerry2

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling