Model Training Time with M2 Mac Pro/M2 Mac Studio?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Model Training Time with M2 Mac Pro/M2 Mac Studio?

Postby stephanhawkes » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:41 pm

I was just wondering if there are any Tonex users out there with M2 Mac Pro's or Mac Studio Ultra's that are having an issue with extremely slow Model Training Times? Or really...what kind of times are users of these machines getting?

Up until recently I have been making all of my Tonex profiles on a 2022 MacBook M2 with 4 Performance Cores and 4 Efficiency cores and 16gb of Ram and my Model Training time on "Fast" mode was 4 minutes and 43 seconds. I recently purchased a new 2023 Mac Pro M2 Tower with 16 M2 Ultra Performance cores and 8 Efficiency cores and 128gb of Ram and the same Model Training process is taking 26 MINUTES. Even on my 2015 Mac Pro it only took 13 minutes, so something is clearly not right with the times I'm getting.

I originally was using the HDX interface on my Tower and so to rule that out as the culprit I added the same exact interface I use on my laptop and the results were the same. I even downgraded my version of Tonex on the twoer from 1.2.6 to 1.2.3 (because that is what is on my Macbook) and the results are the same.

One indicator of what might be going on is that when I am doing the Model training on the tower the TXMM Engine read 1,557% CPU in Activity Monitor whereas it reads only 357% on my Macbook.

Obviously I was expecting an increase in my Model Training speeds with the new Tower, but I definitely wasn't expecting it to be twice as slow as my 2015 Macbook and 6 times slower than the M2 Macbook.

Does anyone have any insight or experinces with this that they could share?
stephanhawkes

Re: Model Training Time with M2 Mac Pro/M2 Mac Studio?

Postby stephanhawkes » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 pm

No one with an M2 Mac Studio can confirm if they are also having this issue?
stephanhawkes

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling