Experience Using Tonex Straight into PA System

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Experience Using Tonex Straight into PA System

Postby carsenio25 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:57 am

Does anyone do this and have any tips for it? How’s it sound compared to using a regular amp live?
carsenio25

Re: Experience Using Tonex Straight into PA System

Postby Flschu » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:33 pm

I use this setup in our practice room. TONEX direct into a Behringer desk + power amp and it sounds great. However, for exactly this setup I got the TONEX Pedal.
Flschu

Re: Experience Using Tonex Straight into PA System

Postby axis39 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:56 am

I received my ToneX pedal about a month ago and have been doing just this in my practice space at home.

I have been running it a few different ways…. Straight into a JBL Eon 610 powered speaker…. Mono out to the speaker. Then, I added a Whirlwind Imp II DI to get XLR form the back fo my pedal board…. I can either ask for a channel form a sound guy, or bring my JBL along Asa personal monitor, or just as my power amp.

I have also been running it into my XR-18, along with my MacBook’s audio, to get music to play along with…. I’ve been using it for practice, but also to see how things sound in a mix.

I have been playing for more than 40 years. I’ve been using tube amps the majority of that time. My current stable of amps includes a Cox Ultimate 5e3, a ‘59 Bassman RI (hardwired by me to exact 5f6-a specs) and a 1958 Twin (yeah, that HPTT). I love my tweed amps. I love the feel, I love the squish….

I have made little forays into the digital world in the past. Starting with a Zoom unit back in the 90’s. I’ve tried Line6 (not the latest Helix stuff), had an 11Rack, a few others. None of them made me feel like I was playing anything like a real tweed amp. None of them.

But, the ToneX, with a touch of room delay, in headphones? Sounds like I am playing one of my amps.

The ToneX into my PA? It feels and sounds just like my amp. I feel like I am honestly playing a tube amp. Even though I know the truth, my brain and fingers are fooled.

I am not sure that any of the modern modelers or capture devices is better than any other. But, I will honestly say that the ToneX pedal changed my opinion about modern digital technologies!
axis39

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling