Tonex sound difference from Headphone versus LR Outputs

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex sound difference from Headphone versus LR Outputs

Postby BLuzJW91 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:20 pm

I have tried both the headphone out and LR out options for my Tonex pedal. In my opinion the headphone out seems to be far superior to the LR outputs. I run my Tonex out to a SA Collider to handle delay and reverb and there is a noticeable "hifi" nature to the headphone out versus the LR outs. I use two 6 inch instrument cables to connect the Tonex LR out to the Collider inputs. When using the headphone out, I utilize a 3 foot Insert or Y-cable (1/4" TRS to two 1/4" TS connectors). The Collider output goes into a stereo channel of my Mackie Mix12FX before output to my studio monitors.

Is it because the direct outs are unbalanced? Is it because the headphone out has an amplifier? I would assume the headphone out circuitry would color the sound unfavorably. Do both outputs receive the same processed signal or is additional processing done to the headphone output?
BLuzJW91

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling