ToneX through a real cab

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

ToneX through a real cab

Postby metalmilitia777 » Mon May 01, 2023 5:28 am

Hello, if this isn't the right place please let me know. I'm currently in a band and am struggling to get good tone. My setup consists of a ToneX Pedal going mono into a power amp (Palmer Macht 402) that is then going into my 120w marshall 4x12 cab. I've tried many different amp models and have disabled IRs or "Cabs" but still the sound isn't right? Do I need more over drive? I'm comparing my tone to my other guitarist Boss Katana. It's not cutting through the mix like his and it seems mine is maybe more bassy? I did see the power amp had different setting like (low, mid, and high) but had it set to mid and maybe that's the problem? I thought guitars are supposed to be mid range.

Either way I'm considering buying a new cab with vintage 30s to see if it helps but I'd hate to drop that kind of money without a guarantee that I'll get the sound I'm looking for.
metalmilitia777

Re: ToneX through a real cab

Postby vac713 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:41 am

Personally, I researched FRFR cabs and had the opportunity to audition several before I made my decision. Initially, I was skeptical about FRFR not giving me the "amp in the room" sensation. I also didn't want to use any one cab because I would be limited to the sound of that particular cab. I wanted to be able to emulate different cabs in Tonex to have a wide assortment of amps, cabs and stomps in my arsenal.
The FRFR cabs, surprisingly enough, in spite of being Full Range Flat response, sounded very different from one another. So much for Flat response. The Headrush was too bassy, the Line 6 too thin, the Friedman ... They all colored the sound... It was very obvious
As I dug deeper into what I'll call, the lesser known (for me anyway) Powered FRFR cabs, I came across the Mission Engineering Gemini and the Xitone. They use coaxial speakers so you can still mic them to go front of house if you choose (as opposed to others using a separate woofer and tweeter) and they sounded absolutely amazing with the Tonex. They are also plenty loud enough for fairly large venues. I settled on a second hand XiTone for well under $1,000 and I couldn't be happier. Now I have all the amps, pedals and cabs that I could have only have dreamed of in a 4X6 inch (give or take) pedal and still have that amp-in-the-room sensation. I'm certainly not gonna need all the tube amps I've amassed over the years.
vac713

Postby metalmilitia777 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:06 pm

Thank you for the great reply. Being I'm new to all of this will running FRFRs enable me to then use IRs/cabs/etc to mimic the real gear? I find when I use anything with a cab sim or IR while running through my real 4×12 cab that it sounds horrendous.
metalmilitia777

Postby vac713 » Wed May 03, 2023 9:34 pm

Yes, running thru a FRFR will allow you to use different IRs. cab sims etc. If you are going to use a cab, it's highly recommended that you disable the cab in Tonex. You have essentially a cab into a cab if you don't, hence the poor sound quality. If funds are not an issue, look at the Mission Engineering or the Xitone. The headrush is very inexpensive and while it does have heavy bass, you can turn the bass down
vac713

Postby LogsJammer » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:38 am

I was having the same issue going into my PA, everything sounded bad, watched loads of videos on youtube and had resolved to sell the pedal. Decided to ignore everyone else and try random things and thing that unlocked the amazingness of this pedal was setting the input trim in global settings to +9. Why because they have a meter saying Low at 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8. It is only when you get to 9 that you will get Ok to Hi with hot humbuckers humbuckers and just on Low with single coils. Who should we listen to, some guy on Youtube or IK who made the thing in the first place. Please try this guys, I love my Tonex now and literally just have it set on Super Reverb (free) and I don't touch it, Fender Fuzz wah, into TS9 or TRex Mudhoney 2, into Blackstar HT Drive (best pedal every, try the emulated output on this, its crazy), into Boss Eq into Tonex into delay. I can can get any tone from clean, SRV breakup, Hendirx full crazy, EVH, ZZ Top and I leterally use the Tonex like a super reverb, I literally have one patvch and it is epic, you can set everything to 5. Oh a DI with -20Db is also a must
LogsJammer

Postby Iborroworrobi » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:08 pm

I understand that if I use a real can I should disable the cab sim. But surely there is a way of adjusting a cab sim or IR to accommodate the real cab I’m using and still deliver the intended sim sound? I have a Tonex capture and so can capture each element of my combo amp what I don’t know is how to the use the capture of my real cab to adjust other cab sims and deliver the 3rd party cab sim sound played through my amp without colouring. Advice much appreciated
Iborroworrobi

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling