Tonex Pedal grounding issues with headphones

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex Pedal grounding issues with headphones

Postby dsteinhoff » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:59 pm

Hey guys,
has anyone else ground noise problems with the headphone out?
When I'm using the Tonex pedal standalone I have a really loud noise coming through the headphone out. This disappears as soon as I plugin the USB plug or connect the Tonex pedal with my interface. In both cases it seems to be grounded through the computer.
I've tried another power supply as well as an isolated pedalboard power supply. Same issue :cry:
Is it a design failure or is there a possibility to fix that?
Cheers!
dsteinhoff

Re: Tonex Pedal grounding issues with headphones

Postby Smaxo303 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:45 am

I don't have this issue, but you can check the (earth) grounding of the Tonex pedal housing.
If you have an ohm meter. The Tonex has no earth grounding from your power supply.
So everything (housing, cable, pedal bord, headphone out, guitar out) should have the same ground connection (means similar low ohm value).
If you have two different grounds or no grounding, you run into humming and noise issues.
As you already written.

1. Just put a cable into the guitar/bass input jack and measure between the sleeve (ground) of the cable pluck and the housing screw of the backside of the Tonex housing. It should give you a stable value close to 0 Ohm. A few ohms are possible, depending on your connection, equipment and how the electronic connection inside was made. Use a low value measurement rang on your ohm meter. Like 200 Ohm or something.
>> That means your input is free from issues.

2. Make the same thing with the headphone output e. g. with a stereo cable.
>> A stable value with something around ~0 Ohm = no issue.

If you don't have an Ohm meter you can try to listen to the noise while move your guitar (pickups) around the Tonex pedal. There should be no difference in sound or loudness of the noise.

Good luck.

Cheers!
Smaxo303

Postby dsteinhoff » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:04 pm

Thanks for the instructions!
I've measured the points you mentioned and got about 0.7 Ohm

Then I've tried another guitar (passive pickups) and the noise was much more quiet. Another test with a guitar with active pickups was even better. So I guess the shielding in my guitar is the problem, right?
dsteinhoff

Postby ErickPahr » Fri May 05, 2023 5:17 am

I have the same issue with mine, too noisy until I plug the usb cable, same thing with all my guitars.
ErickPahr

Postby jcook27 » Fri May 05, 2023 5:33 am

I also have terrible grounding issues with the headphones - pedal is basically unusable for me at this point. Money would have been better spent on an amplifier upgrade.
jcook27

Postby ErickPahr » Fri May 05, 2023 5:42 am

jcook27 wrote:I also have terrible grounding issues with the headphones - pedal is basically unusable for me at this point. Money would have been better spent on an amplifier upgrade.

So you didn't receive any support from IK or something like that? That is too bad, I just had this pedal and my issue is not only with headphones, the noise is in every output, sounds great when the usb cable is plugged but this noise without the cable make it unusable.
ErickPahr

Postby Peter_IK » Fri May 05, 2023 2:53 pm

ErickPahr wrote:
jcook27 wrote:I also have terrible grounding issues with the headphones - pedal is basically unusable for me at this point. Money would have been better spent on an amplifier upgrade.

So you didn't receive any support from IK or something like that? That is too bad, I just had this pedal and my issue is not only with headphones, the noise is in every output, sounds great when the usb cable is plugged but this noise without the cable make it unusable.

Where did they say that? IK Support will help them and you to your satisfaction. Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby MisterScary » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:00 pm

I have the exact same issue. I returned the pedal because it's unusable with headphones.
MisterScary

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:06 pm

MisterScary wrote:I have the exact same issue. I returned the pedal because it's unusable with headphones.

Did you go through IK Support? The headphone output works without additional noise.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby MisterScary » Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:42 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
MisterScary wrote:I have the exact same issue. I returned the pedal because it's unusable with headphones.

Did you go through IK Support? The headphone output works without additional noise.

Sorry, I did not. I actually bought 2 ToneX pedals and had the same issue on both. I even tried using a Morley hum eliminator between the pedal power supply and the surge protector but the excessive noise with numerous presets didn't improve. I wish I knew of a fix before returning the pedal.
MisterScary

Postby Larsvdbooren1 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 am

I'm currently talking to support about this.
The headphone out has a terrible hum, almost like a super gainy amp.
As soon as the USB cable connects to the pedal the hum goes away. Also when a guitar is plugged in the hum will go away when you touch anything metal on the guitar, or something on the pedal.
My guitars don't have any grounding issues and it happens with all my headphones.

I'll update here if I hear anything back from them. Maybe it might help someone eventually with the same problem.
Larsvdbooren1

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling