Is Amplitube dying?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Is Amplitube dying?

Postby elammark13 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:51 pm

I know it's been said before that Amplitube development will continue. But with such a huge push on Tonex lately, it sure seems like Amplitube has become the forgotten stepchild. I understand Tonex is a game changer for a lot of people. But I prefer modeling...giving me complete control over all settings. And IK/Amplitube does such a good job of accurately modeling amps. Some people gripe about it, but I find many of these people are expecting easy, mix ready sounds. There's other apps for that (and they're great too), but are less flexible. Amplitube is pretty much like sitting down with a real amp/cab/mic. You have to work for it a bit. But it's there, just waiting for you to find. So please IK folks...don't forsake Amplitube. :)
elammark13

Re: Is Amplitube dying?

Postby darkogav » Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:03 pm

I don't think so. I think they are two very different software. A capture does not provide the same flexibility as a amp and effect sim.
darkogav

Postby Upright » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:14 am

I have the Max versions of both and honestly I prefer Tonex for quickly distinguishing the subtle as well as drastic differences between amps. I get inspired a lot quicker in Tonex than I do in Amplitube. That being said, Amplitube is a beast when you want all the control. The fact that you can open Tonex in Amplitube makes having both a complete win. I do think there is a ton of opportunity for IK to really go hard on Amplitubes effects. I'd love to see them have a go a some of the more boutique pedals. There are a ton of unique modulation pedals out there (Chase Bliss comes to mind). I think Amplitube would really benefit from a healthy dose of these kinds of FX.
Upright

Postby stelios82k » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:55 pm

Upright wrote:I have the Max versions of both and honestly I prefer Tonex for quickly distinguishing the subtle as well as drastic differences between amps. I get inspired a lot quicker in Tonex than I do in Amplitube. That being said, Amplitube is a beast when you want all the control. The fact that you can open Tonex in Amplitube makes having both a complete win. I do think there is a ton of opportunity for IK to really go hard on Amplitubes effects. I'd love to see them have a go a some of the more boutique pedals. There are a ton of unique modulation pedals out there (Chase Bliss comes to mind). I think Amplitube would really benefit from a healthy dose of these kinds of FX.

I agree that we are kind of bored by using the same old pedals. Pedal builders have released newer designs and drastically different sounds that possibly could be modelled. eg. Walrus Slo, Strymon Cloudburst etc
stelios82k

Postby carlaz » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:09 pm

For my part, I find myself still reaching for AmpliTube more than Tonex -- though they are different tools that do a similar -- but different! -- job differently.

I would like to mess around with "direct" Tonex models -- that is, those that are just models of amps without cabs (or dirt pedals without amps/cabs) -- more than I have. Cabs/speakers (or modelled versions thereof) have such a huge effect on the final tone, I rather like demo'ing amp models against a Cab Room configuration or a 3rd-part IR that I know well.

With that in mind, it would be nice if one could "lock" a separate cab model in place in the Tonex app so that I could flip through amp models without having to always reload the cab model or IR. (Though since there are so few "direct", cab-less amp models in Tonex -- at the moment! -- this might not be the most hugely useful feature. :lol: )
--
"Lords of rock ... grace us with your mighty love ...."
http://soundcloud.com/carledlundanderson
https://carledlundanderson.bandcamp.com/
carlaz
1K Club

Postby jjguitar » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:46 pm

elammark13 wrote: But I prefer modeling...giving me complete control over all settings. And IK/Amplitube does such a good job of accurately modeling amps. Amplitube is pretty much like sitting down with a real amp/cab/mic. You have to work for it a bit. But it's there, just waiting for you to find. So please IK folks...don't forsake Amplitube. :)

I totally agree ! It´s been a while since they released new stuff. I would like to see the new amps from Tonex as full modeled in Amplitube 5 8-)
Gear: Amplitube 5
Guitars: Heritage H-150, Gibson LP, Melancon Strat, Haar Strat, ESP Ron Wood Tele w/ stainless steel frets
jjguitar

Postby carlaz » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:20 pm

There was a lot of recent (though pre-Tonex) emphasis on the hardware X-WHATEVER pedals and their digital equivalents in AmpliTube. I think I have X-DRIVE as a promotional freebee, but I haven't been in a hurry to get the others in either hardware or software form, mostly just because my needs don't really include hardware pedals and -- in the software modeling world -- I tend to do post-amp time-based stuff (delay and reverb) in my DAW (and I don't think there's much in X-TIME that really replaces what I already put in front of the amp model in AmpliTube), and I don't think there's much in X-VIBE that replaces what I already have in AmpliTube. Even with X-DRIVE ... I'm just not used to thinking in terms of multi-effect units! :? I tend to reach for discrete pedal models in AmpliTube just because that's the way I think about setting up a guitar signal chain. :geek: I still reach for the BigPig pedal model rather than the Big Muff emulation in the X-DRIVE. :roll:

But I can think of plenty of new amp or pedal models (as well as rack models) that I would be happy to see -- and buy -- in AmpliTube. But I guess most of the attention has gone to Tonex recently. And, hey, it seems like a great product; it's just probably most exciting for a different kind of user than I am.

So, yeah: I would be happy to see some new or updated toys in good ol' AmpliTube. :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:44 pm

TONEX and AmpliTube are tightly integrated and that's not going to change, only evolve. TONEX should actually boost AmpliTube by helping provide a "best of both worlds" approach with regardo to modeling and capturing technology for gear.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby carlaz » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:06 pm

Well, I agree with that: the integration of Tonex an AmpliTube is great. And there are handy features from Tonex that I would like to see make their way over into AmpliTube, like the ability to play little DI clips/loops in order to demo presets, etc.

From my perspective (as someone without really any physical gear worth modeling!), the strength of Tonex seems likely to be the user-uploaded tone models, though I do find the current searching and (especially) sorting functions a bit limited still. There is definitely a process of sorting what seems to be the user-uploaded "wheat" from the user-uploaded "chaff". :lol:

I do need to spend some more time messing around with the amp-only and stomp-only Tonex models. I do feel more comfortable assessing them when they're running though cab models/IRs (or, in the case of stomps, amps and cabs or IRs) with which I'm already familiar.

But Tonex doesn't do non-dirt/EQ pedals or racks, so it will take AmpliTube or T-Racks to bring us that Binson Echorec model. :mrgreen:
--
carlaz
1K Club

Postby Frax Owen » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:47 pm

I much prefer Amplitube IOS over Tonex iOS. To me the Amp models in Amplitube are more authentic and pleasing to the ears. The tone controls are authentic in Amplitube models, the way they react with each other like the real world amps and no master volume control on non-master volume amps, different inputs etc.

Really hope Amplitube IOS gets a 2023 update with some new models.
Frax Owen

Postby tomiy123 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:56 pm

Frax Owen wrote:I much prefer Amplitube IOS over Tonex iOS. To me the Amp models in Amplitube are more authentic and pleasing to the ears. The tone controls are authentic in Amplitube models, the way they react with each other like the real world amps and no master volume control on non-master volume amps, different inputs etc.

Really hope Amplitube IOS gets a 2023 update with some new models.

Same here <crosses fingers> ... we really need a universal amp5/tonex app for mac/ipad/ios where you can import/export partner AND 3rd party/custom IR's/presets between all devices. I also wouldn't complain about taking both amp5/tonex sims/modeling and have a helix/fractal like floor/rack device that can import/export at5p & txp files into it for live gig use.
tomiy123

Postby jih64 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 am

It's all in the name 'Amplitube TONEX'
jih64

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:17 pm

jih64 wrote:It's all in the name 'Amplitube TONEX'

TONEX is part of the AmpliTube family and is integrated into AmpliTube as well as being a standalone. They are two separate products and to answer the OP question, no AmpliTube is not dying.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Frax Owen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:16 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
jih64 wrote:It's all in the name 'Amplitube TONEX'

TONEX is part of the AmpliTube family and is integrated into AmpliTube as well as being a standalone. They are two separate products and to answer the OP question, no AmpliTube is not dying.

It's great to hear that Amplitube is not going anywhere Peter and thank you for clarifying. Do you know when there will be updates to Amplitube and IOS please, new amps, FX etc.?
Frax Owen

Postby darkogav » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:56 pm

FWIW.. I started using ToneX in conjunction with Amplitube 5 not too long ago and IMO ToneX gave Amplitube a boost and a breath of fresh air. What you now have is a software solution that encompasses both emulation and captures of gear and integrates well together.
darkogav

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling