What are your advanced training times?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

What are your advanced training times?

Postby jhall123 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 pm

I upgraded my system after buying TONEX MAXX to try to get the shortest training times.
My computer is by no means cutting edge but still respectably fast: Dell Optiplex 9020 i7 32 GB ram.
With the onboard video it took 3-1/2 hours to train at Default.
I put in a 2GB Nvidia 1030GT and it cut the training on default to 15 min.
I decided to upgrade the power supply so I could put in a G=force 1650GX with 6GB of memory.
Now the Default time is just under four min. and Advanced is about 22 min!
jhall123

Re: What are your advanced training times?

Postby dean.winter » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:40 pm

Wow...22 minutes is great! I only use "Advanced" and mine take about 50 minutes. Might hafta think about a new graphics card....

Dean
dean.winter

Postby outloaf » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:09 am

37 minutes for advanced and 7 minutes for default with an RTX 3080ti and i9 10850k with 32Gb ram.... should be getting what you guys are getting but I'm not for whatever reason.
outloaf

Postby jhall123 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:56 am

outloaf wrote:37 minutes for advanced and 7 minutes for default with an RTX 3080ti and i9 10850k with 32Gb ram.... should be getting what you guys are getting but I'm not for whatever reason.

I was expecting an hour or two for advanced profiles of my amps based on what I was reading. I was very surprised by the times I am getting. 22 min for advanced captures has been consistent for me. I did at least a dozen profiles at the advanced setting and it hasn't changed.
The computer is really known more for being a power desktop geared for business not gaming or music. They go for small coin on Amazon (be sure to get the mini tower as these are used commonly to be converted to gaming machines. A few dollars to bring the ram to 32 gig. Put in a $60-$150 power supply and an NVIDIA 1650 based GPU and these are the numbers you can get.
jhall123

Postby outloaf » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:12 pm

I wonder what about a GTX1650 makes it faster than an rtx 3080ti... Your think I'd be getting the faster training times.
outloaf

Postby jhall123 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:24 pm

outloaf wrote:I wonder what about a GTX1650 makes it faster than an rtx 3080ti... Your think I'd be getting the faster training times.

I'm chalking it up to "idiots luck" in my case. Who knows really. Maybe the chipset on those
Optiplex motherboards jibes well with TONEX or something.

Those Dell Optiplex machines are very commonly used to to "build" Budget gaming machines
as you can generally buy a refurb off of Amazon for about $250.00 or so with an i7 and 32 gigs of ram. Buy a power supply for it that can supply power to a newer 8 pin hookup on most fast-ish video cards and an $8.00 Power supply to motherboard adapter (The Dell motherboards have a proprietary power socket that is 8-pin instead of the commonly used 24 pin molex sockets.
This turns $5-600.00 into a pretty darned powerful computer. They are so inexpensive to put together that I purchased three of them. Did an identical "build to the second one (I have a "guitar room studio" in my house and a "full band capable" studio in my cottage on the property. This way I can easily use either "room" based on what I'm doing. The third is the "living room computer without the power supply or the Video card upgrade as it's not needed as a music powerhouse but for office type work.
I don't think these computers are capable of supporting Windows-11 so if that's an issue to you it is not an option. I'm not even sure if there will ever be driver upgrades either that support win-11. I use Win-10 Pro.
jhall123

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling