Now that I've had a little quality time with TONEX MAXX

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Now that I've had a little quality time with TONEX MAXX

Postby jhall123 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:04 pm

I am very impressed with this program. The captures I have made are so accurate I can't believe it. TONEX has made me realize just how good some amps that are "Low cost or budget" are much better than the perception due to cost and popularity. For instance my Fender Blues Jr. The captures I made (one clean and one driven a bit) are probably my favorite computer generated tones right now. I profiled my '78 Marshall JMP 2203 MKII and my Marshall Studio Vintage 20 and my Marshall Origin 20 and they are spot on.
I'm aware that the captures are a snapshot of the amp and how it's dialed in at the time of capture but to me using the post capture tweaking is very good. The few features for reverb, compression and eq are great. For instance goosing the gain knob on the skin of the Blues Jr. profile and using the compresser with the threshold up to about half way and using the '70's twin 2x12 is a GREAT tone! I have an actual Vox AC30 and the Blues Jr. profile I made has the slightly driven jangly sparkle of the AC30 or even better! (it could be due to the ability not to blow your ears out with the real amp in the room)
I tried the "amp match" feature included in BIAS (which I also own their top package) and it is good but way WAY inferior to TONEX. Good times ahead. I have a pile of other great amps to profile now.
If you are on the fence about TONEX I can say it is worth the trouble of getting it up and running. BUT....... It works best with an NVIDIA Gforce 750 or higher GPU and a fair bit of system ram.
jhall123

Re: Now that I've had a little quality time with TONEX MAXX

Postby dean.winter » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:06 pm

Good review, and I 100% agree. Incidentally, did you happen to share your models? I'd love to try them out.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby jhall123 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:30 pm

Yes, Type in JH at the search window when you are online. There's a few SV20 profiles (which I tend to use the Plexi Blast 4x12 and sometimes the Spongy Plexi 4x12). Two Blues JR patches (I toss in the 70's twin 2x12 and use the compressor with these) Also there is my '78 JMP 2203 which I tend to use Plexi Blast with. There's also a capture of my Origin 20 it's in there!
jhall123

Postby jhall123 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:51 pm

jhall123 wrote:Yes, Type in JH at the search window when you are online. There's a few SV20 profiles (which I tend to use the Plexi Blast 4x12 and sometimes the Spongy Plexi 4x12). Two Blues JR patches (I toss in the 70's twin 2x12 and use the compressor with these) Also there is my '78 JMP 2203 which I tend to use Plexi Blast with. There's also a capture of my Origin 20 it's in there!

I also just put in a few profiles of my Marshall JMV 205h which are really nice.
I also did three profiles of my Wangs 5 Mini tube amp that are really good (IMHO of course)!
jhall123

Postby dean.winter » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:33 pm

Nice!! They sound great!

Dean
dean.winter

Postby Swmorgan77 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:09 am

jhall123 wrote:
jhall123 wrote:Yes, Type in JH at the search window when you are online. There's a few SV20 profiles (which I tend to use the Plexi Blast 4x12 and sometimes the Spongy Plexi 4x12). Two Blues JR patches (I toss in the 70's twin 2x12 and use the compressor with these) Also there is my '78 JMP 2203 which I tend to use Plexi Blast with. There's also a capture of my Origin 20 it's in there!

I also just put in a few profiles of my Marshall JMV 205h which are really nice.
I also did three profiles of my Wangs 5 Mini tube amp that are really good (IMHO of course)!

Are you Axemaster? That "Tele Vintage Rock" Wangs Mini5 capture is great. I had every intention of doing my own Mini 5 capture, but your sounds great. Really nails the vibe of that amp.
Swmorgan77

Postby jhall123 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:21 pm

Swmorgan77 wrote:
jhall123 wrote:

Are you Axemaster? That "Tele Vintage Rock" Wangs Mini5 capture is great. I had every intention of doing my own Mini 5 capture, but your sounds great. Really nails the vibe of that amp.

No I am not! Just an average wanker with too many toys and a small "cave" to fool around with them with :D I should really get a life.....
jhall123

Postby jhall123 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:00 pm

Just checked out those Wangs Mini5 Profiles Axemaster put up. Fantastic! Try them with the 4x12 section's "Memory Lane".
jhall123

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling