Question about cab mic volume

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Question about cab mic volume

Postby hApPyTeRrAn » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:15 pm

Hey,
beginner guitar recording enthusiast here.

I was wondering why all the cab mics are defaulted to -6db. Is there an audio scientific reason for it?
And when adjusting the overall volume of the guitar track, is it fine to adjust the cab mic volume or should you do the adjustments in other places first?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
Cheers
hApPyTeRrAn

Re: Question about cab mic volume

Postby thomas.brunkard » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:00 am

Lone thing to watch is gain staging. If you put rack units after the cab you don’t want the mic or overall amp volume to clip the racks afterwards. Some of them like the rack parametric eq will have input lights on them. If they’re peaking red you’ll need to lower the volume coming from the cab block.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby hApPyTeRrAn » Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:56 pm

thomas.brunkard wrote:Lone thing to watch is gain staging. If you put rack units after the cab you don’t want the mic or overall amp volume to clip the racks afterwards. Some of them like the rack parametric eq will have input lights on them. If they’re peaking red you’ll need to lower the volume coming from the cab block.

Thanks for the reply, makes perfect sense!
hApPyTeRrAn

Postby RiF_2205 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:29 am

hApPyTeRrAn wrote:Hey,
beginner guitar recording enthusiast here.

I was wondering why all the cab mics are defaulted to -6db. Is there an audio scientific reason for it?
And when adjusting the overall volume of the guitar track, is it fine to adjust the cab mic volume or should you do the adjustments in other places first?

Any pointers would be much appreciated!
Cheers

The reason for the 6 dB drop is that there are two mics that can be mixed together. And in 'audio math' two audio signals at -6 dB add up to 0 dB.
RiF_2205

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling