Amplitube 5 Analog Hiss Emulation TURN OFF?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Amplitube 5 Analog Hiss Emulation TURN OFF?

Postby DJ5D Rocks » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:47 am

I've noticed that Amplitube 5 (on PC) seems to emulate analog hiss?

READ: This is not hiss from my system, nor the intermittent white noise that comes from unpurchased amps, etc. It is entirely a software issue.

If you want to hear it, take a dimed Brit8000 (JCM800) and put an Overscream (Ibanez 808) in front of it and dime the tone knob on the 808. The resulting hiss seems to be an emulation of the original hardware. I can mitigate it somewhat with a noise gate, but I don't want or need this artificial hiss, and I'm having a hard time getting that tight, 80s metal Marshall + tube screamer sound that is so eminently easy to do on a Helix.

I know some VST plugins have an analog hiss feature for 'realism' that can be toggled on or off. I'm hoping this too can be turned off in Amplitube, somehow.

Does anyone know how to do this?
DJ5D Rocks

Re: Amplitube 5 Analog Hiss Emulation TURN OFF?

Postby darkogav » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:40 am

You can try to use Izoptope hum remover. its free. Allows to adjust the frequency to target.

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/removi ... pe-rx.html
darkogav

Postby darkogav » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:00 pm

quick update. I had a closer look at it. I compared it to another product that I have that also has a similar pedal and I think hiss in the emulation is part of the "magic" sound of the tube screamer. So both AT5 and the other one have it there once you start cranking up drive and tone in the pedal.

I was able to make to tame the hiss in AT5 by placing a graphic EQ at the end of the chain and killing the 3.5k frequency. Give that a shot.
darkogav

Postby DJ5D Rocks » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:48 pm

Great suggestions, I havent tried the Isotope yet, but the 3.5hz cut seems to impact tone quite a bit....?

I tried this:

Stargate on the front end of the chain, set at 1.9
Then a Dime Noise Gate (Noise Gate of Hell) set at Filter 4K, Fast release, and threshold of 10.

It doesn't really eliminate the hiss in the tone itself, but cuts out the noise in between chords with a fairly minimal impact on tone.

Years ago, I was on the verge of tearing my hair out trying to figure where the noise in a mix was coming from, checking cables, etc and I finally isolated it to a Waves VST (a recreation of a classic analog gear) and discovered that the analog hiss was simulated, and fortunately, they gave you the option to turn it off.

Amplitube should do the same. Unwanted noise has been an aggravation to sound engineers for decades, and now that we are in the digital age, I have no idea why they would think it was desirable to all.

Maybe we can get the option in an update if we make some "noise" back to IK Multimedia. :)
DJ5D Rocks

Postby DJ5D Rocks » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:17 pm

well i made a discovery.

The reason i had to crank amp and pedal settings so noisily high in the first place was partly due to low gain staging, and also because my best attempts at tweaking Amp5's mic and cab settings weren't coming anywhere close to matching the IR I was using in my Helix patch.

Apparently there is a lot more to an IR's sound than just cabs and mics.

Now that gain is hotter, and I'm using the same IR, ive been able to back all the knobs down, and a single stargate first on the input chain easily handles the noise that is present.

I hope my folly benefits someone else with a similar issue. :)
DJ5D Rocks

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling