TONEX - POSITIVE RANT

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

TONEX - POSITIVE RANT

Postby alanreigh » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:53 am

Let's get this out of the way first; I effing love Tonex. Seriously.

Now, I'm not some zealot. I know as we all do that there are a fair few bugs (logic pro crashes in my case), and that the UI needs improving; input/output sliders please!!
But these issues will all be squashed in future updates. I'm sure of that. What will we have then??
We will have the best amp modelling tone I've ever experienced IMO. I own a Helix, and I've never gotten close to tones like these in Helix, which I use exclusively for bass guitar live now. I've lost count of how many amp sims I've tried over the years. None of them sound like this does.

Honestly, I feel inspired daily like never before to play my guitars. Can't ask for much more than that.

P.S. FWIW I don't hear any DI bleed at all. I know what that sounds like, and I don't hear it at all.
If you are experiencing DI bleed, I hope that gets sorted for you, but I am not experiencing it. I can only 100% comment on my own experience.
alanreigh

Re: TONEX - POSITIVE RANT

Postby thomas.brunkard » Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:07 pm

It's incredible work. I'm waiting for the bugs on AmpliTube integration to be fixed but once they are it's straight into my live rig. The sound of the captures are outrageous.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby alanreigh » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:21 pm

Hey Thomas. Your first Tonex video was one of the first I saw, and it totally convinced me that this was going to be very worthwhile getting.
alanreigh

Postby thomas.brunkard » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:02 am

alanreigh wrote:Hey Thomas. Your first Tonex video was one of the first I saw, and it totally convinced me that this was going to be very worthwhile getting.

That's great to hear! I have a couple of Brian May related recipes I'm filming at the moment.

I took my laptop to a gig last night to test out the new sounds out loud and I was gutted I couldn't use them but there's a new update out today so hopefully I can bring them on the road.

THE SOUND WAS AWESOME!
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby Greggo704 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:34 pm

Pretty much agree with everything there. A few bug's here and there, an annoying thing where the filter settings get lost when you close window in a DAW .

But the sound and feel are definitely there and very inspiring to play through. I know first hand that it's accurate as I've captured my own amps (albeit not that great amps but they are mine) and the DI on Tonex sounds exactly like the recorded amp did when minus hiss and hum (definitely a good thing).

Rolling back volume on guitar knob FINALLY sounds as it's meant to, so many sims can't do this properly. Can convincingly get a clean sound on a crunchy amp profile by rolling back volume and then dime it and it's back to crunch.

Lovely stuff. One rant of mine is that I wish people would stop sharing captures of modellers like Axe FX and helix, it's quite hard to filter out and the whole point of this surely is sharing actual real amps and pedals..
Greggo704

Postby alanreigh » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:24 pm

Greggo704 wrote:One rant of mine is that I wish people would stop sharing captures of modellers like Axe FX and helix, it's quite hard to filter out and the whole point of this surely is sharing actual real amps and pedals..

Totally agree with you. I don't understand why anyone wants a capture of a facsimile instead of a capture of the real thing, but each to their own.
alanreigh

Postby rwyler » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:45 pm

The only annoying thing I've uncovered with TONEX so far is the inability to set the "Sample Rate" to anything other than 44.1k. No matter what I do the application forces itself to 44.1k which breaks all my other audio applications while it's running because everything else is running at 48k or 96k. So I have to set all my applications to 44.1k if I want to run TONEX at the same time. Extremely annoying. Amplitube has the ability to set the samplerate, I don't know why they omitted that feature.
rwyler

Postby dean.winter » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:38 pm

rwyler wrote:The only annoying thing I've uncovered with TONEX so far is the inability to set the "Sample Rate" to anything other than 44.1k. No matter what I do the application forces itself to 44.1k which breaks all my other audio applications while it's running because everything else is running at 48k or 96k. So I have to set all my applications to 44.1k if I want to run TONEX at the same time. Extremely annoying. Amplitube has the ability to set the samplerate, I don't know why they omitted that feature.

Hey rwyler - you can partially fix it by editing this file:
Code: Select all
C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\IK Multimedia\TONEX\settings.properties

That fixes it on playback, but when I shift to the modeler it switches to 44.1 again and overwrites the settings in this file.

A bit more info here: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30844

Dean
dean.winter

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:42 pm

You might want to check in 1.0.2, I recall being told this was not an issue any more (you could leave your interface/hardware set at another sample rate).
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby dean.winter » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:44 am

Peter_IK wrote:You might want to check in 1.0.2, I recall being told this was not an issue any more (you could leave your interface/hardware set at another sample rate).

Hi Peter, thanks for chiming in. Just tested again, same behavior, even after manually editing the properties file. It stays in my sample rate when just doing playback, but shifts to 44.1 as soon as I click the Modeling tab.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby aaronaardvark2g » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:26 am

Using latest Amplitube 5 and Tonex with Mac Catalina for the first time: Using Tonex within Amplitube 5: Tonex gui usually not working within Amplitube 5 with 3 things at once: Thunder Tonex, with Amplitube Fender 1 and Amplitube Brit 8000 gives me a very nice full tone, especially when double tracked. I liked the sound better than my go-to crunch sound within Helix Native, on a new song I am working on.
aaronaardvark2g

Postby alanreigh » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:19 pm

I've downloaded quite a few of the amp only captures from Tonenet, and I run Tonex into GGD Zilla Cabs in Logic Pro X. I have to say that these are some of the best tones I have ever had, and definitely the best through software.
With Zilla cabs I have much more control over the cabinet sound, and I think this is going to be my go to combo from here on in. Very real and natural sounding.
alanreigh

Postby dean.winter » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:55 pm

^^^^
Hunh, those GGD Zilla cabs look pretty cool. I haven't delved too deeply into IR's like that, mostly because I'm fairly lucky to have a good mic closet, a selection of cabs, and a pretty good room. That said, now that I've heard those I kinda want to buy them and do more pure amp models without a cab. Thanks for pointing those out.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby jhaas » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:45 am

^^^^
Yeah, I have a nice selection of amps that I’ve built, but am light on cabs and a good mic closet. I’ve been using the two-notes cabs dynIRs that came with my Captor X, (in their wall of sound VST) to open up a lot of new possibilities with my amp captures.
I’m interested in these GGD Zilla cabs as well.
jhaas

Postby alanreigh » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:16 am

dean.winter wrote:
Hunh, those GGD Zilla cabs look pretty cool. I haven't delved too deeply into IR's like that, mostly because I'm fairly lucky to have a good mic closet, a selection of cabs, and a pretty good room. That said, now that I've heard those I kinda want to buy them and do more pure amp models without a cab. Thanks for pointing those out.

Dean

They also have a brand new offering called Goldstack, which is classic rock Marshall flavoured Greenback M coil speakers.
alanreigh

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling