ToneX Capture: Cheap Nvida vs Expensive Radeon GPU

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

ToneX Capture: Cheap Nvida vs Expensive Radeon GPU

Postby ETLayman » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:16 pm

So, it appears that the GPU makes a HUGE difference in the ToneX training times. My PC with a Radeon GPU took about 7.5 hours to complete an advanced capture. IK recommends a Nvidia GTX 750 or better, but there are a lot of "better" Nvidia GPUs.

Will a low-end Nvidia GPU give substantially faster training times? Or do you really need to shell out 500-600 bucks for the top-of-the-line card to finish those trainings in "minutes"?

Just trying to decide what I should be planning for.
ETLayman

Re: ToneX Capture: Cheap Nvida vs Expensive Radeon GPU

Postby RiF_2205 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:22 pm

My training times (just training, not the 4 min capturing noises/noodling) are 4-5 mins in Default and a constant 20 mins in Advanced mode.
This is my PC:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X-CF (Coffee Lake)
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.6 GHz / 5 GHz core speed (no overclocking). 8 physical/16 [virtual cores. Forgot the cooler, one of the good "goto" ones (Scythe or so)
  • RAM: 2x G.Skill D416GB 3000-16-18-18 N (2x16 GB DDR4 dual channel @ 1066 MHz)
  • GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 super, 4 GB RAM
  • System Drive: Samsung 1TB 2.5/3.4G 970 EVO PCIe M.2 SSD
  • Audio Interface: RME Fireface 802

Please note the following:
  • I have little info about the infuence of the CPU-juice on the training times
  • The machine learning algorithms need some CUDA-enabled NVIDIA cards to run fast
  • My GTX 1650 super is a 3.5 year old, €200 low-end card!!!!
  • Over at TheGearPage.net, nobody so far had better times than my (old) system, even with some way more beefy NVIDIA cards

To sum it up:
I personally - and nobody so far on thegearpage.net - has an idea which hardware upgrade will lead to < 20 mins of advanced mode training times.
That said, my personal recommendation is a €/$/GBP 200 1650 super, because I have first-hand experience of the best processing times so far and usually I do not recommend gear that I don't own or have used. But there's a GTX 1660 super with 6GB instead of 4GB RAM for not much more money (€250 ) and I think that 6 GB is better for modern games than 4 GB (Far Cry 6 complains about the lack of VRAM on my card, for example).
RiF_2205

Postby ETLayman » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:04 pm

MutantLabs wrote:
To sum it up:
I personally - and nobody so far on thegearpage.net - has an idea which hardware upgrade will lead to < 20 mins of advanced mode training times.
That said, my personal recommendation is a €/$/GBP 200 1650 super, because I have first-hand experience of the best processing times so far and usually I do not recommend gear that I don't own or have used. But there's a GTX 1660 super with 6GB instead of 4GB RAM for not much more money (€250 ) and I think that 6 GB is better for modern games than 4 GB (Far Cry 6 complains about the lack of VRAM on my card, for example).

Thanks for that exceent feedback! This is exactly what I was wondering. My guess is that spending 50.00 on an old GT 750 would have a huge impact on the results. I'm just trying to decide how much of an investment to make on a function that I may only need to use 2-3 times in a year.
ETLayman

Postby biddi4 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:55 am

ETLayman wrote:
MutantLabs wrote:
To sum it up:

Thanks for that exceent feedback! This is exactly what I was wondering. My guess is that spending 50.00 on an old GT 750 would have a huge impact on the results. I'm just trying to decide how much of an investment to make on a function that I may only need to use 2-3 times in a year.

Stay tuned! I did just this! ^^^^ I'm not sure what's wrong though. It just hangs up at the training stage. No luck so far. I'm going to re-install tomorrow and make sure I have the correct drivers. Will update once I'm successful.
biddi4

Postby RiF_2205 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:25 am

Just note that I haven't said, not do I think that each and every CUDA-enabled NVIDIA card (like the GT 750, for example) will lead to these training times. I can only speak for my own 1650 super.
This list shows all CUDA-enabled GPUs: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus
There is a Compute Capability column in the list, but I have no evidence that this will influence the training times. So spend to 50 $/€/£ on your own risk.
RiF_2205

Postby blackemm » Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:58 pm

With an i7-12650h and nvidia 3050ti, my captures are just a bit slower than mutantlabs. Just under 6mins, as opposed to 5 , for default.

Technically, both my PC/GPU benchmark better, but please note, that mine is the laptop version. Laptop version of nVidia is not quite the same thing. (I knew this before purchase) They perform less than the desktop cards, AND come in a couple different wattages, that also impact performance.

If mutantlabs is desktop - It seems a cheaper nVidia desktop card performs a little better than a "better model #" laptop version- assuming other variables equal.(chipset, etc). With laptop cards almost always built in? It MAY be a better option to pick up
the laptop with the higher end GPU if capture times are a priority.

My times are fine. Sounds freaking great.
blackemm

Postby biddi4 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:34 pm

*UPDATE*

So, at the recommendation of IK support, I got a used Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti and gave it a try.
I had trouble figuring out which driver it took yesterday. Got that confirmed today and seemed to be running normally.
Did a direct capture of a pedal just for fun, and basic and advanced just wouldn't work. It would just hang at the training phase. No percentage countdown or anything.
I tried everything I could think of. It did begin training on the easy mode and it looked like it was on pace to finish in 5 minutes, but I interrupted it because I wouldn't use the basic model.

Got fristrated , and bout a new GeForce GTX 1650. The exact one my support guy uses and gets training down to 5 minutes.

Will update once it arrives
biddi4

Postby jhaas » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:04 am

biddi4 wrote:.

Got fristrated , and bout a new GeForce GTX 1650. The exact one my support guy uses and gets training down to 5 minutes.

Will update once it arrives

Well, you aren’t alone in your frustration. I caved today and ordered a GTX1660 that Newegg had on sale.
jhaas

Postby ETLayman » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:33 pm

biddi4 wrote:So, at the recommendation of IK support, I got a used Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti and gave it a try.
I had trouble figuring out which driver it took yesterday. Got that confirmed today and seemed to be running normally.
Did a direct capture of a pedal just for fun, and basic and advanced just wouldn't work. It would just hang at the training phase. No percentage countdown or anything.

I tried to do an advanced capture on my laptop, which has a mobile version of the GTX 1050. I had a similar experience. It started out pretty strong, and seemed like it would finish in under 60 minutes, but three attempts ended up timing out and just being stuck at different percentages. Never made it past 19%. Maybe it would have moved on if I just let it continue, but I can already use my desktop if I like those incredibly long processing times.

I am considering buying a new laptop with a (mobile) RTX 3050 GPU. The laptop would be better for my purposes, because the primary room where I would do the capturing is in my band's studio and not in my home. Anyone have good results with the mobile GPUs?
ETLayman

Postby biddi4 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:01 pm

ETLayman wrote:
biddi4 wrote:So, at the recommendation of IK support, I got a used Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti and gave it a try.

I tried to do an advanced capture on my laptop, which has a mobile version of the GTX 1050. I had a similar experience. It started out pretty strong, and seemed like it would finish in under 60 minutes, but three attempts ended up timing out and just being stuck at different percentages. Never made it past 19%. Maybe it would have moved on if I just let it continue, but I can already use my desktop if I like those incredibly long processing times.

I am considering buying a new laptop with a (mobile) RTX 3050 GPU. The laptop would be better for my purposes, because the primary room where I would do the capturing is in my band's studio and not in my home. Anyone have good results with the mobile GPUs?

Above I mention that I ordered a GTX 1650. At first it didn't work. I hadn't had a reason to add more ram to my system as everything had worked for me. I decided to go ahead and add 4gb and bring it to it's max.

Seemed unlikely to make any difference.
Welp, it did! The new card, plus 16gb ram fixed it. 2 minutes fast 5 minutes default and 20 minutes advanced. Totally happy now
biddi4

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling