Getting poor quality direct captures with ToneX

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Getting poor quality direct captures with ToneX

Postby machinated » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:53 pm

So things started off pretty well for me, my first couple of captures turned out well.

Since then, I’ve tried some other amps and had varying degrees of success. I’ve only done direct captures, either using a DI or a reactive load box.

Friedman and Reactive load was my most accurate result so far, very minor and insignificant differences to the real chain.

Dual Rectifier DI’d while connected to a cab was a disaster. The low end was totally missing. I tried this twice (regular and advanced algorithms) to make sure I didn’t make any mistakes and the results were equally disappointing.

I also tried my Jet City 100HDM and I was disappointed with the results. They were about 5dB lower in bass than the real amp.

In each case, I recorded the amp with the exact chain I used in ToneX so the chain is definitely delivering the correct signals and sounding right. I checked by making Kemper profiles which although not totally accurate, don’t seem to vary as much.

Has anyone else done many direct captures and compared them? has anyone else encountered these issues?

Examples below:

https://youtu.be/wLc4WVzYR7k

https://youtu.be/RfwVV7oc5Yo

https://youtu.be/1H8ZqN1dDjo
machinated

Re: Getting poor quality direct captures with ToneX

Postby machinated » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Made a mic’d capture with the Dual Rectifier and that one produces better results, so that method seems to be working correctly.

But then afterwards I tried a direct of a 2204 (using another reactive load to previously) and it’s lacking 6dB or so of bass compared to the original amp.
machinated

Postby blackemm » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:13 pm

I would love to hear a response/solution from IK on this.
blackemm

Postby machinated » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:15 pm

I’m curious if it was encountered either in development or in beta and if there are any workarounds. I can’t imagine I’m doing anything too uncommon or out of the ordinary
machinated

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:50 pm

blackemm wrote:I would love to hear a response/solution from IK on this.

That would require reporting it to IK Support as this is not a technical support forum. But there are many people getting high-quality captures so I'm sure support can help figure out what is happening in the cases where people are getting results with which they are not satisfied.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby machinated » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:54 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
blackemm wrote:I would love to hear a response/solution from IK on this.

That would require reporting it to IK Support as this is not a technical support forum. But there are many people getting high-quality captures so I'm sure support can help figure out what is happening in the cases where people are getting results with which they are not satisfied.

Thanks Peter. I’ve contacted support but I fully expect them to be busy what with a new release and new users flooding in.

I’ve spoken to some people who were getting good matches but it seems they’re also encountering similar problems, just to varying degrees. It seems quite situational (based on gear, capture method, the type of sound etc).

Ideally it’s something that the devs or beta testers are aware of or have encountered, so that there are workarounds or fixes that can help.I’m not expecting perfection, but a 15dB difference on an advanced training match seems like something is wrong.
machinated

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling