What is the point of TONEX?

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

What is the point of TONEX?

Postby Rberthao » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:28 pm

I guess I was confused when I made the pre-order, but I don't understand the purpose of TONEX now that I have it.
I thought it would be seamless integration into Amplitube and it would open up a whole new library of equipment that I didn't already have in my fully loaded Amplitube 5. As of right now, only using it since the release yesterday, I'm not too impressed with the TONEX interface versus Amplitube. I'm questioning the value of the purchase.
I might not have the greatest ear because I just can't hear much of a difference between some of the TONEX models and their Amplitube versions that I already own. A perfect example of what I expected was a library that I could download amps that aren't in Amplitube and then just use them in my AmpliTube.

Can someone help me understand what I am missing?
Rberthao

Re: What is the point of TONEX?

Postby livesforrap » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:12 pm

For me, it's this:

-Opens easier/faster w/o as much gobbly gook as AT. I DO NOT expect many others to feel the same, but I love it.
-Super low CPU hit.
-The tactile feel is very different and I feel it's better. Not sure how to describe it but everything feels kinda buttery when playing. Even with my really low buffer size there is a certain stiffness in AT (and many many other amp sims)
-I can get tones in an easier fashion, well, to some degree. There is the absolutely INSANE amount of cabs! (and of course, most of them are not to my taste :lol: )
-On a similar note, less stuff to fiddle with means getting what I want faster. It took me a while to figure out what I like and don't like amp wise, but now I getting it down.
-And not surprisingly, it's a smaller footprint. Not a big, but I like it.

There are some things I'd like to see different, and I can understand why some people would feel it's a downgrade, but so far I'm happy.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby bertsmith30 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:16 pm

A perfect example of what I expected was a library that I could download amps that aren't in Amplitube and then just use them in my AmpliTube.

That's exactly what you get. Look for "Other" amps at the bottom of your amp list in amplitube 5.
bertsmith30

Postby vac713 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:45 pm

I purchased it primarily to model my own amplifiers and to get gear not available in AT such as the Dumble, Klon....

I see someone already put a PRS MT 15 on there.... Very cool

I'm using it to augment AT not replace it. I probably won't even sample anything in TONEX that's already available in AT

Just my $0.02
vac713

Postby migas8982 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:57 pm

For me the only thing I would love to see on the Amplitube 5 interface, when you select an AMP you have the TONEX at the top bottom.

But there are as well Stomps and pedals, and would love to see a TONEX Pedal at the bottom of the list as well...

For example I would love to pair a Klon Centaur with a clean Dumble overdrive special to put it in the chain.

Like this I have to put 2 amps, one just with the pedal the other with the amp. I would love to be able to chain several stomps that I can get from Tonex into the Amplitube App
migas8982

Postby livesforrap » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:20 pm

migas8982 wrote:For me the only thing I would love to see on the Amplitube 5 interface, when you select an AMP you have the TONEX at the top bottom.

But there are as well Stomps and pedals, and would love to see a TONEX Pedal at the bottom of the list as well...

For example I would love to pair a Klon Centaur with a clean Dumble overdrive special to put it in the chain.

Like this I have to put 2 amps, one just with the pedal the other with the amp. I would love to be able to chain several stomps that I can get from Tonex into the Amplitube App

Just out of curiosity, what host are you using? Xmas came twice for me yesterday and Studio One 6 dropped too. The reason I'm bringing this up is it is easier than ever to make a "preset" for just such an occasion. I have (now a few) track/s that are already set up with two instances, other plugs, and it even saves any sends! And if you add more instances with that send, it simply combines those tracks to one send effect.

Anyways, I hear ya about having to have more than one instance. It does seem like a huge oversight.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:22 pm

The stomp spot it not a trivial implementation either, so it was either October or have certain things like the TONEX stomp Tone Models in the stomp area in AmplITube 5. In other words, I'm told the feature is coming in a future update.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Rberthao » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:51 am

I guess I need to give it some time to see the uploads grow and find some new sounds. Thanks
Rberthao

Postby neil.cummins1 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:40 pm

I'm still confused as to the USP of Tonex compared to AT5,outside of the ability to model real amps,which I'm sure will be a massive winner for those who wish to do this.

IK stated to me(in response to an earlier question)that AT5 was still their flagship product(their words not mine),but for confirmed bedroom guitarists like myself who have not owned an amp for some years,and DI straight into my DAW via AT5 or Line6 Helix,if this is the case,will AT5 still be supplied with future capability updates,or now just be held in permanent suspension outside of bug fixes?

The understandable massive publicity associated with the launch of Tonex doesn't seem to equate with the stated future of AT5,as how can they both be marketed separately without seeming to be in competition?
neil.cummins1

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:14 pm

They are completely different technology. Also TONEX does not have nor cannot capture time-based and modulation effects for example.

This explanation has helped many understand both the differences and how they work together:

AmpliTube and TONEX are two different products using different technologies: AmpliTube is made using analog modeling technology while TONEX uses a new technology called AI machine modeling ( https://www.amplitube.com/ai ). While analog modeling simulates the behavior of the whole circuit of the amp - with all the knobs, switches, buttons and their interactions - AI machine modeling gives an ultra-realistic simulation of the rig with a specific knob settings. So it's not that one technology is "better" than the other, it depends of what the final user's needs are: full editing and customization versus accuracy in getting a specific sound. Using them together gives of course the best of both worlds and a super-powerful amp-sim system.

The two products are also different because AmpliTube can simulate the entire set up used in guitar recording (multiple serial and parallel rigs combining amps, all type of stomp effects, post effects, cabinets and microphones, etc.. with full editing down to the single gear), while TONEX is dedicated to simulates just amp, cabinets and certain type of pedals (distortions, overdrive, fuzz, EQ, boost) in each of their combinations. However TONEX can be used inside AmpliTube, as a sub-system of amps and pedals, again to have the best of both worlds.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling