Tonex. Wow.

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Tonex. Wow.

Postby biddi4 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:35 pm

Ya, well I did head only and on my i7 machine, it took 8 hrs! But it was sooo amazing.
Put it in AmpliTube with the overdrive and mesa can after it, perfection
biddi4

Postby acadian21 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:47 am

How are you guys routing things..?? I am following instructions to a T. I do have the TONEX Capture hardware. I tried going power amp out, I have tried preamp out. I am not getting ANY signal return whatsoever (on either platform) when using my UAD Apollo X8 interface as well as a borrowed Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I am on Windows 10. Computer plenty powerful with 32 gigs of RAM.
I am about to send everything back tomorrow unless I can find a solution....I had such high hopes for this software.
acadian21

Postby jhaas » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:21 am

acadian21 wrote:How are you guys routing things..?? I am following instructions to a T. I do have the TONEX Capture hardware. I tried going power amp out, I have tried preamp out. I am not getting ANY signal return whatsoever (on either platform) when using my UAD Apollo X8 interface as well as a borrowed Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I am on Windows 10. Computer plenty powerful with 32 gigs of RAM.
I am about to send everything back tomorrow unless I can find a solution....I had such high hopes for this software.

The Scarlet only has two outputs. The capture process requires a third output to send signal to the Tonex Capture hardware (or reamp box), so it does seem your routing may not be quite right.
jhaas

Postby biddi4 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:03 am

acadian21 wrote:How are you guys routing things..?? I am following instructions to a T. I do have the TONEX Capture hardware. I tried going power amp out, I have tried preamp out. I am not getting ANY signal return whatsoever (on either platform) when using my UAD Apollo X8 interface as well as a borrowed Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I am on Windows 10. Computer plenty powerful with 32 gigs of RAM.

There's a guy at this link that has your interface, and with IK's extensive support apparently found a flaw requiring an update. Hope this helps. You can message the guy.

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30900&p=133757&hilit=uad+tonex#p133757
biddi4

Postby dean.winter » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:38 pm

Hey Acadian, you should be able to do it with just the Apollo X8. I'm doing my captures with just my existing setup, no TONEX Capture Hardware needed. I just plug a guitar into an input, come out of a free output into a Little Labs Red Eye, and then into the pedalboard/amp. Amp goes through a UA OX to a cab with whatever mics/preamps/outboard I happen to be using. You don't need the OX, I'm just using it for a bit of attenuation if I want it or to capture pure amp (no cab) sounds. When you do the capture setup it can be a bit weird since TONEX seems to want to do ASIO monitoring for you, which caused some loops and whatnot for me since I was doing monitoring already with patchbays and TotalMix, but other than that it was pretty straightforward. Essentially you just need 3 inputs (one for guitar, one for each mic), and one output going to a reamp box.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby acadian21 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:43 am

Dean, thanks for the info, but unless I am mistaken, I think the UAD Apollo interface wants to override the IK's ASIO monitoring. The two simply don't play nice with each other....which is a shame as there are a ton of UAD owners out there.....

What is aggravating for me is that I have had the software and TONEX Capture hardware for 2 weeks now and have yet to be able to capture ANYTHING. Unless a solution comes up fairly quickly, I'm gonna have to send the $200 paperweight back.....I have gone through IK tech support AND Sweetwater tech support, and so far zero solutions from either source...hoping something turns up, I really don't want to give up on it....

Joe
acadian21

Postby dean.winter » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:31 am

acadian21 wrote:Dean, thanks for the info, but unless I am mistaken, I think the UAD Apollo interface wants to override the IK's ASIO monitoring. The two simply don't play nice with each other....which is a shame as there are a ton of UAD owners out there.....

What is aggravating for me is that I have had the software and TONEX Capture hardware for 2 weeks now and have yet to be able to capture ANYTHING. Unless a solution comes up fairly quickly, I'm gonna have to send the $200 paperweight back.....I have gone through IK tech support AND Sweetwater tech support, and so far zero solutions from either source...hoping something turns up, I really don't want to give up on it....

Joe

Oof, that's no good. Sorry you're having problems. Kinda surprising, too. You can't throw a dinner roll without hitting six Apollo interfaces these days...I would have thought any basic incompatibilities would have shown up in beta.

Fingers crossed for you. In the meantime if I can give any info that might help, routing screenshots or whatever, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby acadian21 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:21 am

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it...!!

Joe
acadian21

Postby alanreigh » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:07 pm

I've been loving many of your uploads. Thanks you so much for sharing.

One thing I do in most amp sims, and Tonex benefits from this so much IMO, is I do a cut at 3K, because amp sims tend to have a really nasty tone there. In the Tonex player, I open the extended EQ section (making sure it is set to POST), set the treble freq to 3K, and then cut treble at that frequency to taste. I'm making a quite large cut for my taste here, YMMV.
alanreigh

Postby dean.winter » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:13 pm

alanreigh wrote:I've been loving many of your uploads. Thanks you so much for sharing.

One thing I do in most amp sims, and Tonex benefits from this so much IMO, is I do a cut at 3K, because amp sims tend to have a really nasty tone there. In the Tonex player, I open the extended EQ section (making sure it is set to POST), set the treble freq to 3K, and then cut treble at that frequency to taste. I'm making a quite large cut for my taste here, YMMV.

Thanks! Glad you like them. I'm kinda running through a bunch of the amps in my studio to have a reference point as I'm thinking through amp sounds with clients. My idea is to get a library of (more-or-less) "standard" sounds for the amps in my studio so I can easily run through them when making production decisions. Figured as long as I was doing that I may as well share.

Oh, and I hear you on the 3k cut. Every time I mic a Marshall I reach for it on my EQs before reminding myself that the 3k stuff is a big part of what makes Marshall sounds. In fairness, frequently I cut it a bit there anyway :)

Anyway, thanks again, and glad you like them. I just uploaded a capture of my vintage 1965 Band-Master, so if you're a Fender fan you might like that one (link: https://www.tone.net/tonex/tonemodels/11635). I'll do a few more of that amp in the next few days as well.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby alanreigh » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:19 pm

Band Master. Music to my ears.
alanreigh

Postby acadian21 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:49 pm

IK Multimedia came out with a TONEX software update today. It cleared up my issues with the TONEX capture/UAD routing. Performed my first capture today. Absolutely killer...!!
If you perform the TONEX update, you WILL have to update your Amplitube 5 as well....
Thanks!!!!
acadian21

Postby dean.winter » Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:39 am

acadian21 wrote:IK Multimedia came out with a TONEX software update today. It cleared up my issues with the TONEX capture/UAD routing. Performed my first capture today. Absolutely killer...!!
If you perform the TONEX update, you WILL have to update your Amplitube 5 as well....
Thanks!!!!

That's great news. Did you share your capture? I'd love to take a look.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby Frank67588 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 am

Did anyone find a solution to capturing with ToneX and the Apollo? … ok, I see that the previous user did - I have downloaded the software in March 2023 and that should have been the version that works … I am on a Mac Studio with M1 processor.

I failed miserably. Everything was correctly cabled with my Apollo X8 - I believe. Guitar in input 1 (HiZ). Out from Output 8 into my Reamp box into Amp and attenuator back into input 3 of the Apollo. When I am testing guitar levels in the Capture I can clearly hear everything, but when I get to the final stage before starting the capture where I could live monitor or send a prerecorded signal to the rig, I hear nothing and consequently, the capture fails because there is no signal.

With my Focusrite 18i8 it does not work because the 2nd generation has only the two monitor outputs and I would need a third :-( not sure why the ToneX software insists on a monitor output? It is not needed (IMHO). And why would it insist on two microphones if you capture an Amp?

In all my frustration, I ordered an Axe I/O solo which should work by all means … but this is very not cool since I did not need that interface at all. [mod redacted - unnecessary and please review the forum rules]
Frank67588

Postby acadian21 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:12 pm

It is quite an experiment getting the Tonex to work with the Apollo. It required me going into the console and re-routing things there. So, my guitar goes into input 1, which I have that output routed to output 3. Within the settings tab of console, I change the Monitor L output of channel 1 to Analog Line 3. When I go back into the TONEX GUI, I will choose the Line Out 3 going to the "Send To Rig." Monitor L will now disappear and be replaced by Line3 (2). This is what I choose to be my left monitor. Don't ask me why it renames things, but that's just the only way I can get it to work.

One other thing, sometimes the signal becomes non-existent...even with everything routed correctly. Assuming you are using UAD Thunderbolt, you will go to your Device, select Universal Audio USB. This will sort of "clear and reset" everything. Go back into Device and select your Thunderbolt. Re-select all of your correct routing options. This will engage everything to talk to one another. Again, don't ask me why I have to jump through these hoops to make it work, but this is the ONLY way I have found to make the two play nicely with each other.

Note: I am on a Windows machine....not sure if the same protocol will work for Mac users.

Joe
acadian21

PreviousNext

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling