Tonex. Wow.

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Re: Tonex. Wow.

Postby acadian21 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:20 pm

Dean,

I have not shared my captures. First off, they are captures of pedal steel guitar amps...little to no demand for them. Different frequencies than standard 6 stringers find useful.

Second, I am not able to get the gain structure as loud as I would like it to be. I am boosting internal settings to the point of near clipping, yet when I record within my DAW, the resulting volume is extremely low. The sound quality is there, just not at a volume I can work with. It is so low, I cannot record with TONEX engaged. I have to record the track dry, then add TONEX later....and even then I have to boost the volume after the fact.

I had seen something on a YouTube video mentioning that there was a volume reduction issue when going from your interface out to the amp. Has anyone else heard about this, and if so, is there a timeline on when this will be corrected...?? In the meantime, I am using my Quad Cortex to record.

Thanks...!!

Joe
acadian21

Postby Frank67588 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:13 pm

acadian21 wrote:It is quite an experiment getting the Tonex to work with the Apollo. It required me going into the console and re-routing things there. So, my guitar goes into input 1, which I have that output routed to output 3. Within the settings tab of console, I change the Monitor L output of channel 1 to Analog Line 3. When I go back into the TONEX GUI, I will choose the Line Out 3 going to the "Send To Rig." Monitor L will now disappear and be replaced by Line3 (2). This is what I choose to be my left monitor. Don't ask me why it renames things, but that's just the only way I can get it to work.

One other thing, sometimes the signal becomes non-existent...even with everything routed correctly. Assuming you are using UAD Thunderbolt, you will go to your Device, select Universal Audio USB. This will sort of "clear and reset" everything. Go back into Device and select your Thunderbolt. Re-select all of your correct routing options. This will engage everything to talk to one another. Again, don't ask me why I have to jump through these hoops to make it work, but this is the ONLY way I have found to make the two play nicely with each other.

Note: I am on a Windows machine....not sure if the same protocol will work for Mac users.

Joe

Dear Joe,

thank you so much for taking the time to write such a clear and thoughtful reply! This is much appreciated. I solved the problem in the most unsatisfactory way by buying an Axe I/O Solo and now I am capturing away. If one is used to the Kemper or QC, this is really slow. But the results appear to come out very good. I have also verified that the pedal works great with my HxFx. So happy days ahead!

Cheers,
Frank
Frank67588

Postby acadian21 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:28 pm

Does anyone know if the Axe I/O provides better gain staging than 3rd party interface and/or TONEX Capture...??

Thanks!!!

Joe
acadian21

Postby mhepworth » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:58 am

I have my playback set to Virtual 1&2 (see here - https://youtu.be/ss_HzIzstpA )

Based on that, here's how I do it:
Monitors are Virtual 1 and 2
Out to Capture is CUE 2 L

Input 1 HiZ is guitar
Input 2 is Mic from amp

Both inputs are muted in Console.
Input one has a send to CUE 2 and is panned left.

Virtuals are NOT muted in Console.
mhepworth

Previous

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling