Tonex. Wow.

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Tonex. Wow.

Postby dean.winter » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:12 pm

Um, OK, IKMM, I see what you're doing.
I just created and uploaded my first Tonex model. It's my VoxAC15HWX (just cuz it was the amp I had hooked up and ready to go at the time) and it is astonishingly good. It's here if anyone is interested.
https://www.tone.net/tonex/tonemodels/9857

I then dropped it into Amplitube and drove it with a booster and it's pretty amazing.

Can't help but think I want to do more now. Like my Carr Sportsman with my KoT, and my Hot Cake into the Vox, and my Friedman, and Mesa's, and my new Tim, and....yeah. Seriously. I'm pretty dang impressed.

Dean
dean.winter

Re: Tonex. Wow.

Postby thomas.brunkard » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:08 pm

The way the models respond to boosters and volume changes on the guitar is rather special. It's a fantastic platform.
Check out my adventures with AmpliTube Brian May and Axe I/O here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzJ0af-klLVmUizM3dqL8g-oFwEYBTxAu
thomas.brunkard

Postby dean.winter » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:40 pm

thomas.brunkard wrote:The way the models respond to boosters and volume changes on the guitar is rather special. It's a fantastic platform.

It really is. I might drive it with my Hot Cake tonight and do another model.

The really interesting part is that I didn't really have to do much to make it work. I had been recording that amp anyway over the last couple days, so I just left it set up the way I had it and went through the process. Honestly, I kinda expected it to fail and have to jump through some hoops.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby outloaf » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 am

I'm absolutely floored by this... I can't believe I'm legitimately turning my amps and cabs into a plugin. It sounds basically identical.
outloaf

Postby Greggo704 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:46 pm

Thanks for the models you've uploaded Dean they sound great. Loving the Vox's. Please upload more. Having never owned a hardware profiler and only using amp sims this is pretty game changing for me. The amp's sound real!
Greggo704

Postby dean.winter » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:35 pm

Greggo704 wrote:Thanks for the models you've uploaded Dean they sound great. Loving the Vox's. Please upload more. Having never owned a hardware profiler and only using amp sims this is pretty game changing for me. The amp's sound real!

Hey, so glad you like them! I'll be working through more amps in the next few days. You want more Vox models or something else? I've been thinking about my Tweed or my Friedman, but if you want another Vox I could do one....maybe with an EP Booster or a Tim. Oooh...or maybe the Rat, that one is super fun.
dean.winter

Postby Greggo704 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:01 am

Haha isn't it just. Friedman's sounds like a good choice? Not seen many of them in Tonenet (its early days I know).

Im really impressed with the way the model's play in this software, I've been using software amp sims for ages and I think this is getting that little extra realism I've been missing, something in the bottom end and top end.

With it being sample/capture based it's eye opening for me hearing how a real micd amp and cab should as opposed to an algorithmic model which might be idealised somewhat on some sims so they are "mix ready"
Greggo704

Postby livesforrap » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:23 am

Yeah, I really like it so far. I've stated in other threads the "tactile" feel is more desirable for certain.

Between the sound, the feel, the very low CPU hit and the quickness of it loading, it's replacing almost everything here.

Not that AT blew or anything, and I still haven't found anything to replace my "default" Jubilee patch (so twangy on a strat, so beefy on humbuckers, especially with a "Slash" booster in front) but no big, I'm sure something will eventually stand out.
Windows 11, i5 11600k, 32 gigs of ram, Audient id4 @ 32 buffer. 44.1k sample rate.
livesforrap

Postby dean.winter » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:36 am

Greggo704 wrote:Haha isn't it just. Friedman's sounds like a good choice? Not seen many of them in Tonenet (its early days I know).

Cool, did a quick Friedman capture (super standard 57/121 mic setup). More a rock-n-roll drive setting, but I'll probably do a few more with that amp in the next few days...can't do the Friedman without trying to push it into metal territory :)

https://www.tone.net/tonex/tonemodels/9997

Dean
dean.winter

Postby Greggo704 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:29 am

Not had chance to play through it but used the inbuilt DInin the software to audition and sounds really nice, will give it a run through its paces later today!
Greggo704

Postby dean.winter » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:32 pm

Did another model based on the Friedman this morning, this one is genuinely in Hi Gain territory. Same mics, pres, and EQs, just different placement and settings.

https://www.tone.net/tonex/tonemodels/10030

I think I might do a few more off the Friedman before it goes back on the rack. It's got some really great medium gain bluesey and edge-of-breakup tones in it. I might drive it with a pedal or two as well.

Alternately, I've been thinking about doing a model or two without cabs....just straight off the UAD OX with no cab or cab sim with the intention of folks putting their own speaker IRs on them. Anyone here interested in that sort of thing?

Gotta admit, making these is pretty fun.

Dean
dean.winter

Postby biddi4 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:07 pm

Hey, while the AI does it's thing can you turn off the amp? It's taking hours since I tried the advanced option. I'm at 11% after an hour. I don't really want my amp on that long
biddi4

Postby outloaf » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:34 pm

You can turn off your amp, once the DI is captured; Tonex is done needing your amp.
outloaf

Postby biddi4 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:48 pm

outloaf wrote:You can turn off your amp, once the DI is captured; Tonex is done needing your amp.

Thanks!!
biddi4

Postby Greggo704 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:05 pm

It does take a fair while. I have an i3 which is minimum specs and takes around 2h30 to complete, but when I played it back I can attest to it's accuracy. It's newer tech than Kemper which I believe latches onto one of 8 possible gain structures and matches it's EQ to the amp being profiled.

Tonex I imagine (based on the current white papers of machine learning for guitar amps) does hundreds if not thousands of epochs to match the signal it recorded through the amp to the DIs signal it plays through, which is why it takes ages to do.
Greggo704

Next

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling