Acoustic Guitar recording

AmpliTube TONEX, AmpliTube 5, AmpliTube Custom Shop, AmpliTube Joe Satriani, AmpliTube Brian May, MESA/Boogie®,Orange™, Fender™, Hendrix™, Metal, AmpliTube SVX, and more for Mac/PC

Acoustic Guitar recording

Postby Anne6666 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:37 am

im new to the guitar scene. I'm quite confused about Direct Input recording where the guitar is plugged into a Audio Interface then connected to a computer. With this setup how are you able to add effects? Can you put guitar effects pedals (multi fx, pedalboard setup) before the audio interface? What are the pros and cons of Direct input vs (amp) mic'd up? Thank you in advance!

P.s I'm very new to the recording stuff, I'm sorry if I have misunderstood some things about it and I would highly appreciate corrections and advice
Anne6666

Re: Acoustic Guitar recording

Postby Boogieshoes » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:04 am

You say that you are trying to record acoustic guitar.

There are a number of options but for accoutic guitars it depends if you are mic’ing up the guitar too as this can affect where you place effects. Then what mics, their number, types and positioning to the guitar vs using sensors in the guitar.

Direct guitar sensor use into to an interface works too, but the sounds and balance are significantly different as you aren’t using the room dynamics as much.

Effects, be they multi effects or discrete in the line to the interface will work but you have to decide if you want to record with the effects ‘fixed’ into the original recording or want to record bare guitar (as close to bare as posible with mics etc.) and retain the flexibility to be able to tweak effects after recording by do that in whatever DAW software you are using.

I use 2 mics spaced and apply effects in the daw as needed. 2 mics allows better room control and a greater range of audio panning options too of the multiple signals recorded.
Boogieshoes

Return to AmpliTube Guitar Amp & FX modeling